LaunchBox Community Forums

Do you need to have a gaming PC.

Snapturtle111

3 minutes ago, Snapturtle111 said:

Do you need to have a gaming PC To run the higher end games like PS2.

Depends what you mean really, if you want to "Upscale" the graphics so that they look better on a modern display, then you would need a Graphics Card to do that, likewise if you wanted to use shaders in Retroarch that would also require a Graphics Card, older systems only use the CPU, so that has to be a fast one, but any system that is 3D really does need a Graphics Card.

6 hours ago, Snapturtle111 said:

So how much would a PC cost to basically run everything on launchbox. Can you give a estimate of what a PC to do that would run me.

If all you want to do is get the cheapest PC possible specifically solely for emulating most systems on Launchbox, check out getting a refurbished or secondhand Dell office style system (ideally for $200 USD or less), like the newer small form-factor Dell Optiplex, that has a a newer Intel processor (i5/i7), they should be able to play most systems smoothly without super-HD upscaling and the like through the Gamecube/PS2/Saturn era of games.

Check out this video for an example of this, noting that your mileage may vary, as even by modern high-end gaming PC cannot run certain Gamecube games smoothly to my satisfaction):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONKVZf0m6o

Just note that this sort of PC, designed for an office, is going to be mostly crap at running any modern PC game 3D title, it works better for emulation as most emulators are largely if not entirely drawing on the CPU rather than the GPU.

Edited by MetaRidley42
Typos

On 10/4/2021 at 2:50 PM, MetaRidley42 said:

If all you want to do is get the cheapest PC possible specifically solely for emulating most systems on Launchbox, check out getting a refurbished or secondhand Dell office style system (ideally for $200 USD or less), like the newer small form-factor Dell Optiplex, that has a a newer Intel processor (i5/i7), they should be able to play most systems smoothly without super-HD upscaling and the like through the Gamecube/PS2/Saturn era of games.

This is what I started with essentially and still use.  The system had an i3 @ 3900Mhz and  I added a Geforce GTX 970 I had.

I play up to PS2 games upscaled, mostly without issues. There are a few high end titles for some platforms that have a few slow downs, but it's not the norm and it's a tradeoff between $$$ and power. Sure I could upgrade to an i7-7700 at $400, but really it's not worth it to make a couple more newer games playable in MAME and a few more fps in those troublesome PS2 games.

I don't think that PC you posted would be good for PS2. CPU speed is huge in emulation and that integrated video GPU isn't powerful enough either.

Edited by Headrush69
Fixed grammar

If you have access to these machines already, your best bet is to install and try a few of the more demanding emulators and try a rom or two and see how hard you can push it.

The issue is there is not a simple answer as each emulator and system is and can be quite different.

For MAME, single core CPU speed is most important. My 2 core i3 @ 3900Mhz played many games better than my 4 core i5-6600K @ 3500Mhz using the same video card.

For games that upscale or offload to the GPU (like PS2), obviously a dedicated GPU will be dramatically better than an integrated GPU. 

Only you can decide what shaders you might use, how much you want to upscale and what is acceptable performance wise.

Maybe as a baseline, you could tell us what 2 platforms are your most important to emulate. I don't have much experience using portables for emulation but others might be able to tell you what is realistic for those specs.

CPU is the most important factor in any emulation, the more modern the system and the more accurate the emulation the more CPU power you need. You need raw clock speed and instructions per clock cycle for the more demanding emulation.

GPU is important for the really modern systems emulation but still not as important as the CPU. An Intel integrated graphics chip is nearly worthless while a new AMD Ryzen based APU is not too bad at all. GPU is also important if you want to do any sort of resolution scaling or shaders but you don't need anything extremely powerful but you also don't want to rely on an Intel or older AMD integrated video.

I wouldn't suggest anything lower than a 4th gen Intel I5 CPU and even that is starting to get be at the lower end for newer system emulation. The 4th gen Intels added a lot of new features and IPC (Instructions Per Clock).