LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch install error

mschoneman

I'm also getting this error WHEN I try to go to TOOLs > MANAGE > RETROARCH > UPDATE (for my existing Retroarch install). I relaunched Launchbox and made sure all instances are closed as well. 

image.png.b61fdbd9fe9b733bda9335ffd273f77f.png

My Retroarch installation is NOT inside of my Launchbox\Emulators folder like I see some people do...I prefer it sharing the root of the drive with Launchbox instead..is that how yours is configured? Maybe that is the issue?

Mine is:

L:\Launchbox
L:\Retroarch

Those are the two main paths on my hard drive....

Edited by cleverest

I saw on YouTube to "grant Launchbox" write access to the Retroarch folder; it fixed someone's issue having that same problem there...so how do I accomplish this in Windows 10? the Everyone acount, my (admin-level) username I use on my desktop, AND  the general admin accounts already have write-access to the folder...what other username am I adding write-access to this folder to make this happen?

1 hour ago, cleverest said:

I saw on YouTube to "grant Launchbox" write access to the Retroarch folder; it fixed someone's issue having that same problem there...so how do I accomplish this in Windows 10? the Everyone acount, my (admin-level) username I use on my desktop, AND  the general admin accounts already have write-access to the folder...what other username am I adding write-access to this folder to make this happen?

Usually it's more of a folder requiring admin rights than having to grant access to a specific user. Windows enforces this for certain folders. But also, I'm just guessing here, as I don't really know what's happening. What you could try is removing your LaunchBox emulator for RetroArch from Tools > Manage > Emulators. Then LaunchBox should allow you install a brand new instance and hopefully it won't be a problem anymore (if it is a permissions issue).

29 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Usually it's more of a folder requiring admin rights than having to grant access to a specific user. Windows enforces this for certain folders. But also, I'm just guessing here, as I don't really know what's happening. What you could try is removing your LaunchBox emulator for RetroArch from Tools > Manage > Emulators. Then LaunchBox should allow you install a brand new instance and hopefully it won't be a problem anymore (if it is a permissions issue).

Good idea. I'll back up my existing settings (I hope) and try that.

I am having the same issue on a fresh install of Launchbox. I have mine setup on an SSD nominated drive L:

I added a rom to a games folder in my Launchbox folder and did the usual add rom file, I got the prompt to download and setup Retroarch but then got he following error

Screenshot 2021-11-09 094041.png

@mschoneman @cleverest @mauley @elyria @slider6996 I just put out 12.3-beta-1, which should help us figure out what it is going on here. If you can, we could really use your help to troubleshoot this. Please go to Tools > Options > Updates in LaunchBox and check the box to update to beta releases. Then you can go to Help > Check for Updates to download the beta release.

There's nothing new in this beta release other than some additional logging, which we'll need in order to troubleshoot what's going on. Once you're updated, please go to Tools > Options > Debugging and check the box to enable debug logs. Then you can run the RetroArch installer/updater to reproduce the issue. Once you've reproduced it, there will be log files in your LaunchBox\Logs folder. If you can share your latest log with us, that should help us to pinpoint this issue.

5 minutes ago, slider6996 said:

Here is log file with trying to do the auto installer for retro instead of just updating it. 

Debug 2021-11-09 12-15-32 PM.log 38.69 kB · 0 downloads

So this is really strange. 7-Zip is just failing to extract the archive with a bunch of data errors.

The file that was downloaded is here: K:\F DRIVE BACKUP\G Backup info\LaunchBox\Metadata\Temp\50e9f9c9-8b39-4934-9500-1b70ef97ea82.7z

That file should be the downloaded RetroArch installation archive. It is in the temp folder though, so it will probably be deleted when LaunchBox is closed down/restarted. I guess one thing to check would be if that file is a corrupted download or not. Do you still have that file on your disk?

1 minute ago, slider6996 said:

I lied, i can open it fine but soon as i go to extract it errors out. Size is 168MB and here is screen shot.

Error.jpg

Okay, boom. Thanks for that info. I believe this just means we're getting a corrupted download, which helps me to figure out what's going on. I have some ideas to help with that. Thanks again for your help. I should have a new beta out soon. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, boom. Thanks for that info. I believe this just means we're getting a corrupted download, which helps me to figure out what's going on. I have some ideas to help with that. Thanks again for your help. I should have a new beta out soon. :)

Every file in that image is a .dll, i see no other file types, that cant be a coincidence surely? AV blocking extraction by another program opening another program?