LaunchBox Community Forums

Question about the new retroarch update feature

CDBlue

Hey all.  I looked around on the forums and release notes and I couldn't find the answer to the question I have.  Which is, when you use the new built-in retroarch updater, does it update your installed cores as well, or just the main retroarch program?  I assume it does just the main program, as you can easily update your cores from within retroarch itself... but I thought since I had the question maybe others might have the same question as well :)

Cheers,
CDBlue

Edited by CDBlue

• CDBlue changed the title to Question about the new retroarch update feature
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope someone is still here - I just did it (had to run LB as admin) - and it updated ALL cores. all 157 cores. took a while. Can we make the default 'update installed cores only'. Seems excessive to update every single one. Is there a setting to make this change?

Cheers

2 minutes ago, matris said:

Hope someone is still here - I just did it (had to run LB as admin) - and it updated ALL cores. all 157 cores. took a while. Can we make the default 'update installed cores only'. Seems excessive to update every single one. Is there a setting to make this change?

Cheers

You should never run Launchbox as admin, it will break some things. Secondly Retroarch has a "update installed cores" option itself in it's UI, so just use that.

46 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You should never run Launchbox as admin, it will break some things. Secondly Retroarch has a "update installed cores" option itself in it's UI, so just use that.

Ah ok - so the default is to update all 157+ cores, not just the ones you have installed. Cool - Thanks for clarifying. I'll stick with the 'update installed cores' option within retroarch as I was. Thank you!

Just now, matris said:

Ah ok - so the default is to update all 157+ cores, not just the ones you have installed. Cool - Thanks for clarifying. I'll stick with the 'update installed cores' option within retroarch as I was. Thank you!

Yeah currently we just pull every core on the github, not sure if that will change in the future or not to be honest, luckily most cores are less than 5mb so really dont take any space.

1 hour ago, matris said:

The cores are downloaded from libretro's buildbot stable release section. They unfortunately only offer one archive with all the cores inside. However, that archive is only 167MB large.