LaunchBox Community Forums

Standalone RetroArch runs FBNeo fine, but when Launching from Launchbox it's a no-go

sharkytowers

Pretty much what the title says.  I have a directory of 30 arcade games.  Each one is zipped.  I can load each one no problem via the FinalBurn NEO core in RetroArch, but as soon as I try and launch one through Launchbox I get an error.  I'm thinking it's a syntax thing?  I'd love to get it to work as I don't want to load 1000's of Arcade games, but would like to play a few.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sharkytowers said:

I can load each one no problem via the FinalBurn NEO core in RetroArch, but as soon as I try and launch one through Launchbox I get an error.

Make sure that in LaunchBox > Tools > Manage > Emulators > RetroArch, you have "Extract ROM archives before running" unticked. And that in the "Associated Platforms" tab you have the platform name exactly as you've named it while importing your games. Then make sure the appropriate core is selected.

Edited by Koroth
  • Like 1
  • Game On 1

Thanks @Koroth I'll try that.

EDIT:  Worked a treat.  You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.  May your name live in infamy as your descendants celebrate your life and accomplishments by lighting a ceremonial fire on the turn of each planting season.  

This breakthrough made my rainy morning.

Edited by sharkytowers
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, I'm new to Launchbox and Retroarch so I apologize for any stupid questions or using the wrong terminology.  Hopefully I have provided
all of the relevant information but please let me know if I am missing anything.  I appreciate the help and those working to make this a
great community!

I'm having the same issue as the previous poster and the suggestions provided didn't fix the issue..........

I'm using Launchbox (12.6) and Retroarch (1.9.14.0) on a Windows 10 PC.

I'm having problems launching Neo Geo (SNK Neo Geo AES) games directly from Launch box.  I can however launch the Neo Geo games directly from RetroArch.  My assumption is that I have a simple setting/association disconnect between LaunchBox and Retroarch.  

When I launch the game from RetroArch, I am specifying the "Final Burn Neo" core (1.0.0.03).  The game displays and operates correctly.

When I run the game from LaunchBox, I am running the game from the same location (C:\Users\Bills Office\LaunchBox\Games\SNK Neo Geo AES).  
The games in this location are zipped.  When I run the game from RetroArch, I get the notification in the screenshot indicating the Rom Set is unknown.  The window (and errors) seem to indicate that I am in fact using Final Burn Neo ("FBNeo").

The Neo Geo games are listed under "Consoles" -> "SNK Neo Geo AES" in LaunchBox (not under Arcade).  
If I click on one of the roms, I see that RetroArch is the associated emulator (no custom parameters).  

If I view the Associated Platforms for my RetroArch emulator in LaunchBox then I see "fbneo_libretro" under the "SNK Neo Geo AES" platform.
There are no status indications (blank).

I have games running from LaunchBox for other consoles that use RetroArch without any issues (e.g., NES, SNES, N64).

To address the previous post with the same issue:
1) The LaunchBox > Tools > Manage > Emulators > RetroArch > "Extract ROM archives before running" setting is unticked.
2) "And that in the "Associated Platforms" tab you have the platform name exactly as you've named it while importing your games"
I did a reimport from a folder named "SNK Neo Geo AES", the platform identified as the same.  It matches what is in my associated platforms
as

It seems like to me the issue is:
1) The emulator ROM association is not using Final Burn NEO despite retro arch being associated as described above
2) Launchbox is somehow using the wrong location for the file
3) LaunchBox is expecting the ROM to be different (e.g., unzipped) than RetroArch does.

4) Maybe the spaces in the path are causing issues? ("C:\Users\Bills Office\LaunchBox\Games\SNK Neo Geo AES")

I really would appreciate the help and thank you in advance!!!

Emulator Association.jpg

Error Message.png

RetroArch Settings.png

Edited by BillHopeItWorks
Added additional images

• 3 months later...

@BillHopeItWorks Delete all .xml files pertaining to FB Neo along with the Metadata, Images, Roms, etc. When you go back to import the games make sure you **DO NOT** select "This is a full MAME set." I had this same roadblock with my MAME romset for almost 2 weeks until I finally gutted it and figure out this work around on the Android version. It's worth a shot!

I have a nice set of 100 mame roms that run fine outside of Launchbox - inside Launchbox they do not run. It is an older version of Mame I'm using though -  version is 0.120 . Is this the reasons it will not run in Launchbox. I understand I can import newer roms / versions and all that [and I will] but I was wondering why Launchbox won't run these.

1 hour ago, johnprobe said:

I have a nice set of 100 mame roms that run fine outside of Launchbox - inside Launchbox they do not run. It is an older version of Mame I'm using though -  version is 0.120 . Is this the reasons it will not run in Launchbox. I understand I can import newer roms / versions and all that [and I will] but I was wondering why Launchbox won't run these.

To be clear Launchbox doesn't run roms and can use any rom set as long as the emulator being used supports it. Launchbox merely passes a rom file to an emulator.

You say your rom set is 0.120 then you should be using that version of Mame as well. You should also not be using the full set importer with such an old set, you should be importing them like other rom sets.

You may also have some settings in the edit emulator window of your emulator setup incorrectly. A common one for Mame and FBA / FBN sets is having the "extract rom" box checked.

1 hour ago, johnprobe said:

This thread was originally talking about RetroArch, but sounds like you might be referring to standalone MAME.  If that's the case, edit your MAME emulator in LaunchBox and remove from the default command-line "-keyboardprovider dinput".

8 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

This thread was originally talking about RetroArch, but sounds like you might be referring to standalone MAME.  If that's the case, edit your MAME emulator in LaunchBox and remove from the default command-line "-keyboardprovider dinput".

That did the trick - you are most wise. Thanks. I'll google this now and work out for my own understanding why it worked..but thanks. Noble mention and second place medal to Lordmonkus