LaunchBox Community Forums

Best way to add instructions to the game?

Johnny T

Hi all,

I've just set up a load of Daphne/Singe games. The instructions for some of them vary slightly (for instance, in Cliff Hanger you need a button for 'feet' and another for 'hands').

What's the best way to add an Instructions file to the game? I know there's a Pause screen theme that will show instructions but I already have a Pause screen so didn't really want to change it if I can help it? Is that what people use? Or do people use the Manual functionality and put instructions there? 

Or is there another way that I don't know about ?

:)

Edited by Johnny T

5 hours ago, Johnny T said:

I know there's a Pause screen theme that will show instructions but I already have a Pause screen so didn't really want to change it if I can help it?

If those games are in their own platform, you can make/add a pause theme specific for that platform.

image.png.59faaf962b531b2e2d35191e992c4aa3.png

If they're not in their own platform or the instructions are long and convoluted, have the instructions be the Game Manual.  If the game(s) already has a Manual, you can add the instructions file as an Additional App.

Another option is, if you don't ever use the Wiki link (or Video URL link), add the path to the instructions file there.

image.thumb.png.d0313eed5830f1a8cef43cfcc6521fd5.png

Just throwing out ideas. ;) 

• Thanks 1

And if you use the new Steamy LB theme you can access those documents/instructions right from game details when using ListView. Use it for a lot of my MS-DOS games that have companion books that are referenced in the game. Open them before I start it.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

And if you use the new Steamy LB theme you can access those documents/instructions right from game details when using ListView. Use it for a lot of my MS-DOS games that have companion books that are referenced in the game. Open them before I start it.

Thanks for the tip! I use Big Box though rather than LB as I have it running on a cabinet. Will take a look though as I've not seen the Steam LB theme 🙂