LaunchBox Community Forums

"Error. Launchbox encountered an unexpected error"

vince16

"... ; details of the error is provided below. The Launchbox development team has already been notified of this error"  yadda yadda yadda...

Launchbox worked perfectly fine just the night before, and I haven't touched anything!

Anyone has any idea how to resolve this?

This is the description of the error. Can't wrap my head around this, sorry.

"CefSettings.BrowserSubprocessPath not found.

App:     
Version: 12.12
Type:    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Site:    Boolean Initialize(CefSharp.CefSettingsBase, Boolean, CefSharp.IApp)
Source:  CefSharp.Core

at CefSharp.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IApp cefApp)
   at CefSharp.Cef.Initialize(CefSettingsBase cefSettings, Boolean performDependencyCheck, IBrowserProcessHandler browserProcessHandler)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App.PostInvalidRegistry(Object , Boolean , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Recent Log:

21:45:22 Exception"

Any help would be appreciated.

Alright so, I'm surprised not to be getting any kind of help this time, I'm not sure if I opened this new topic in the right category, maybe I should'be opened it in troubleshooting, but anyway, I resolved my problem alone, so for the record, in the off-chance that it happens to somebody else, I'll leave the way I did it here: I tried feeding it to Google and found this 

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/6051/big-box-notloading

Then I clicked the Download section of this very site to get another LB/BB installer and installed it, except I didn't overwrite my previous instance of Launchbox but installed it aside, just copy-pasted "ThirdParty" folder from this new instance to the old one, replacing each file in the process, and then tried launching it again et voilà, it works again. So it was definitely something about the "ThirdParty" folder that was causing this, as that dude Christian says in his comment at the bottom of that bitbucket website.

Upon launching my old instance of LB with the new "ThirdParty" folder, my antivirus software, Avast, freaked out and told me it wanted to erase "Cef Settings Browser Subprocess Path" so had to make an exception. Hope I'll be fine this time.

So, yeah, it was the antivirus's fault I couldn't start Launchbox anymore. I don't understand how some people develop software that simply decides on its own it's going to erase some files in your PC without ever asking for your permission, it's... mind-boggling. Avast never asked me what I wanted to do about it the first time around, it simply decided to erase part of the Launchbox software on its own, just like that. Just like it had decided a few months back to erase part of the Super Model 2 emulator or something, stopping me from playing Daytona 2. Amazing...

My problem now is, how do I remove this new instance of LB I've just installed? I could just click the "uninstall" icon provided in the folder, but it tells me it's going to remove LB from my PC and I fear it's going to actually remove it completely, both NEW and OLD instances of LB...!?

Edited by vince16

1 hour ago, vince16 said:

My problem now is, how do I remove this new instance of LB I've just installed?

Just delete the folder.

1 hour ago, vince16 said:

I don't understand how some people develop software that simply decides on its own it's going to erase some files in your PC without ever asking for your permission, it's... mind-boggling. Avast never asked me what I wanted to do about it the first time around, it simply decided to erase part of the Launchbox software on its own, just like that. Just like it had decided a few months back to erase part of the Super Model 2 emulator or something, stopping me from playing Daytona 2. Amazing

This isn't the softwares fault, it's the anti virus' fault. Blaming it on Launchbox or Super Model 2 is putting the blame in the wrong place. 

5 hours ago, vince16 said:

Alright so, I'm surprised not to be getting any kind of help this time,

It's the weekend, you work 24 hours a day seven days a week? There are only three people who work for Launchbox and they work a normal Monday-Friday week, so please have a little patience.

5 hours ago, vince16 said:

my antivirus software, Avast, freaked out and told me it wanted to erase "Cef Settings Browser Subprocess Path"

Third party anti virus softwares are garbage, and do the "false positive" virus thing all the time, for some reason uneducated people think this is a good thing as it is finding things, this is the complete opposite though its saying things are virus's that are not which is a bad thing, it's essentially lying to you, usually in order to get you to upgrade to the paid version. It's scummy and completely unnecessary the built in Windows defender is perfectly adequate and gives far, far less false positives. 

• The Cake is a Lie 1

Thanks for you guys's inputs. Sorry if I came across as impatient, I'm not. LordMoncus, by the way, I was NOT alluding to Launchbox, but precisely to antivirus software like Avast! 😉 

I thought that was clear since I was talking about software that decides to erase data on its own, which Launchbox obviously does not.

Speaking of which, when you remove a game from a folder ("favorites" in my case, often), LB asks us whether we would like to also remove the game completely, which I believe means delete from the hard drive, and on more than one occasion I almost inadvertently pressed yes. I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have some fool-proof solution for this, like ticking something in LB's options menu to basically tell it, "No game can ever be deleted from hard drive no matter what". In a next update maybe?

Edited by vince16

1 minute ago, vince16 said:

I thought that was clear since I was talking about software that decides to erase data on its own, which Launchbox obviously does not.

My apologies, I misread your post.

when you remove a game from a folder ("favorites" in my case, often), LB asks us whether we would like to also remove the game completely, which I believe means delete from the hard drive

By default LB does not delete the file from your drive when you remove a game from LB. There is an option you have to enable in the LB settings to allow this if you want it to.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have some fool-proof solution for this, like ticking something in LB's options menu to basically tell it, "No game can ever be deleted from hard drive no matter what". In a next update maybe?

That is how Launchbox is by default, it will never delete a rom from your PC, unless you specifically turned that feature on. Are you sure the message you get is saying that and not just sayings its gonna delete the rom from Launchbox.

Untitled.png

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vince16 said:

. I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to have some fool-proof solution for this, like ticking something in LB's options menu to basically tell it, "No game can ever be deleted from hard drive no matter what". In a next update maybe?

You actually get two warning when that option is checked, this being the second one actually stating it will delete the rom file from the PC.

image.png.5f409e2f9d811ec82d12a9404b816346.png

If you are seeing that then you turned the option on, simply turn it back off.

• Thanks 1

@neil9000 OK, I went to that page in the settings and the box is not ticked, which means that when I remove a game from my favorites folder and LB asks me whether I would like to remove the game entirely, there's no risk it will remove it from my hard drive, then. Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up.

Now if only someone could tell me why I get the error message "Flycast: flycast-win-x64-fast-and-whatever series of letters and numbers Point of entry procedure GetVersionExW cannot be found in digital dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-sysinfo-l2-2-1.dll" when I launch a Naomi/Atomiswave game with Flycast (both from within LB or using the emulator outside of LB). The game is launched properly after I click enter, but it's annoying to have to do it every time. This too is a new thing, never had that problem before ffs...

Somebody PLEASE tell me that "Additional Application ROMs" in this case doesn't mean "other ROMs in other categories (this Arcade, that console) that have a similar name". Because if it does, I think I may just have inadvertently deleted a few console games (no biggie), but esp. a few arcade ROMs which, for all I know, may have been parent roms needed to make a bunch of other roms work in MAME... 

533518715_AdditionalApplicationROMs.png

On 7/8/2022 at 11:14 PM, vince16 said:

Somebody PLEASE tell me that "Additional Application ROMs" in this case doesn't mean "other ROMs in other categories (this Arcade, that console) that have a similar name". Because if it does, I think I may just have inadvertently deleted a few console games (no biggie), but esp. a few arcade ROMs which, for all I know, may have been parent roms needed to make a bunch of other roms work in MAME... 

533518715_AdditionalApplicationROMs.png

I always assumed it was talking about this:

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.5d45dd0ee73f36ca2bf7e84396bcbcf3.png

If I'm right, you're lucky.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, k_rollo said:

I always assumed it was talking about this:

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.5d45dd0ee73f36ca2bf7e84396bcbcf3.png

If I'm right, you're lucky.

This is correct. Additional Apps can be used for:

• Other versions of the same game
  • Programs you need to run before the game launches or after the game closes
  • Additional documents/links, like strategy guides, maps, etc...
  • Like 1