LaunchBox Community Forums

*Updated Jan '24* | 714 Platforms | 701 Playlists | Over 880,000 Games & More | with Updated Zipped Platform & Playlist .xml folders and Platform Icons. Will this ever end?

-McFly-

13 hours ago, Kjhrono said:

Good job, I'm very interested as I'm a bit "maniac" too!

I'd like a comprehensive platform list too, so I want to ask: what do you think about a more arcade specific systems? I mean... I found on "System16" a very large list of famous arcade developers board systems, many of them with a very small games list (Capcom ZN-1, Konami Bubble System, Sega System E only for example) and I see you haven't other developers like Data East, Seibu or Taoplan.

I'd attach the file I'm working on, if you want to take a look to understand what I'm saying, that I'll need to store the ROM path and create a .bat to xcopy the files when new romset will be released.

One of my concern is: should I put the boards with >5 games in a separate folder (and system) and the smaller (or the board created for a specific game as I don't like the name "Contra based" for example) in a generic "Arcade - Capcom/Namco ..." or create a platform based on the main CPU and not the board? In that last case, I should have all the developer games in a specific folder like "Capcom Z80, Capcom 68000..." but I should also eliminate the CPS systems/System 16/... too because they refere to a board name. I thought to an hybrid system but, well, not correct to mix board and cpu!

I know it's only a matter of personal taste and my hypothetical setup maybe is only a waste of time, so I'd like to hear an opinion from another that like me likes to have many many platforms (it's just too simple to say "put all in the arcade folder"!).

Cartel1.xlsx 304.81 kB · 1 download

I like your question, it's one of those 'should i / why do you / how about this' questions, one that ultimately comes down to personal wants and needs. Mine changes all the time. For instance I have many Playlists for the ZN-1, System E and more which I could have as a platform instead. Why do I have some that are Platforms and others that are Playlists... is a question I can't really answer tbh as I make it up as I go along. Will I change some platforms to playlists and vice versa? Probably. I might even change them back. 

Your .xls spreadsheet is interesting, I see what you're getting at there. You could just plop them all under Sega, or you could spread them out over platforms, playlists or both. How much time do you want to spend on everything? That's the question. If you don't mind spending more time than most then make everything as granular as you want. If you don't like them later you can always change them to someting else. I do have a fairly small Platform Categories list I sometimes play with which may take more of my time later, if I want to get more granular. I don't think anyone will mind how you do yours, I expect everyone does them differently. I do have a bunch of Platforms and Playlists that only have 1 game though. You could have a 'Boards' category that has specific board types in there if you preferred, it sounds like a good idea that I might think about doing myself... Several of my platforms and playlists are in more than 1 category as well.

Keep doin' what you're doin, make up your own rules and go for it, it's your collection :)

Edited by -McFly-
typo

No, i don't use that. At least for now.

3 hours ago, rexryan said:

Are you getting your game count from RocketLauncher?

I'm getting it from 2 places: LB games count and everything I find with Notepad++ </ApplicationPath> Granted, 1 is real, the 2nd is everything including dupes and more. The dupes don't count, only the LB count with all the dupes removed and ROM consolidation.

8 hours ago, -McFly- said:

I like your question, it's one of those 'should i / why do you / how about this' questions, one that ultimately comes down to personal wants and needs. Mine changes all the time. For instance I have many Playlists for the ZN-1, System E and more which I could have as a platform instead. Why do I have some that are Platforms and others that are Playlists... is a question I can't really answer tbh as I make it up as I go along. Will I change some platforms to playlists and vice versa? Probably. I might even change them back. 

Your .xls spreadsheet is interesting, I see what you're getting at there. You could just plop them all under Sega, or you could spread them out over platforms, playlists or both. How much time do you want to spend on everything? That's the question. If you don't mind spending more time than most then make everything as granular as you want. If you don't like them later you can always change them to someting else. I do have a fairly small Platform Categories list I sometimes play with which may take more of my time later, if I want to get more granular. I don't think anyone will mind how you do yours, I expect everyone does them differently. I do have a bunch of Platforms and Playlists that only have 1 game though. You could have a 'Boards' category that has specific board types in there if you preferred, it sounds like a good idea that I might think about doing myself... Several of my platforms and playlists are in more than 1 category as well.

Keep doin' what you're doin, make up your own rules and go for it, it's your collection :)

Yeah, it's only a matter of preference but opinion (or other ideas) are always welcome!

I think that's a good idea, a category for the "board", I haven't thought about that. It's a huge work, and I don't have so much time, but I have no need to finish it in a day as my childrens are only 4 years old and I want to be ready when they can appreciate the retrogaming (if they do!)...  My dream is to make a cabinet (actually I'll order it I'm not able to do it) with a coin machine!

I guess for the sake of the knowledge I'll separate each developer with the system name > board name > cpu name, then I'll work on the playlist.

Thank you for your sharing!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Uplink said:

Are you serving this from a nas? thats a huge collection, im trying to serve my collection from an unraid box but the lag of the menu's is just bad.

I'm using 3 large TB drives, 2 internal, 1 external. My emulators are on an NVME stick which I think works a little faster with my setup. As for lag... try turning off the video hardware acceleration.

• Like 1

• -McFly- changed the title to 700 Platforms | 654 Playlists | Over 850,000 Games & More | with Zipped Platform & Playlist .xml folders (updated Oct. 28th '23). I need to stop.
On 10/30/2023 at 11:13 AM, liereyes said:

Hello, can you send me the picture of the emulator and its kernels running on Retroarch Launchbox? When I install the ROM, the kernel information does not appear. I want to match the missing ones with the ones you have and complete them.

IMG_20231030_191314.jpg

does this help?

image.thumb.png.1422703fb77f3ae9d792083b8305db51.png

• -McFly- changed the title to *Updated* 700 Platforms | 654 Playlists | Over 850,000 Games & More | with Updated Zipped Platform & Playlist .xml folders (updated Nov '23). I need to stop.

Nice list!

I'm curious if you have a 1G1R set or if you just add anything you can to each platform? I just have 61.7k games, but I only have English titles, translated to English titles, Europe Releases for platforms if an English (US/World) release isn't available for that game [that part needs some cleaning up], and lastly Japanese titles if they don't exist except in Japanese platforms (such as Sharp X68000, etc), and no beta/prototype sorts of games unless they ONLY exist in such a format (for EX: Primal Rage 2 for Arcade)

How "clean" is your complete game list?

Edited by cleverest
  • Thanks 1

Something I haven't bothered to ask, and maybe you don't know as you are in more of archive mode than testing mode, but how many of these platforms are actually useable on Big Box?

I have been researching front ends a bit, and one of the dilemmas I am encountering is that each one tends to only support a limited number of cores (emulators). Each one tends to be a bit different. So, with you having over 700 systems now, are there ones that you have that currently don't run on Big Box?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Emrys3177 said:

Something I haven't bothered to ask, and maybe you don't know as you are in more of archive mode than testing mode, but how many of these platforms are actually useable on Big Box?

I have been researching front ends a bit, and one of the dilemmas I am encountering is that each one tends to only support a limited number of cores (emulators). Each one tends to be a bit different. So, with you having over 700 systems now, are there ones that you have that currently don't run on Big Box?

By cores, do you mean Retroarch? I only use that for the standard sega / nintendo / atari systems as well as a few others. For the rest I've tried to find specific emulators for them all, and I have close to all of them (I think) that exist. Emulators are continually updating and being created so every now and then I'll check for better or for ones that I haven't found yet. A lot of the games for these outlier platforms I can only get going by pointing the game path at the emulator then loading the game inside the emulator itself. I'm ok with that if it only means a few more clicks. I usually only test a couple of games with an emulator to make sure it opens or at least is seen by the emulator so I can't speak for every game working with the emulators i've chosen... But when I find another, I add it as a possible emulator insode Launchbox so I have a choice. My hope is that eventually, all old systems will have perfect working emulators, but as you know we're not there yet. I've added a screenshot of a few of my emulator folders so you can see what I mean.

emulators screenshot.png

Edited by -McFly-
typo

23 hours ago, cleverest said:

Nice list!

I'm curious if you have a 1G1R set or you just add anything you can to each platform? I just have 61.7k games, but I only have English tiles, translated to English titles, Europe Releases for platforms if a English (US/World) release isn't available for that game [that part needs some cleaning up], and lastly Japanese titles if they don't exist except in Japanese platforms (such as Sharp X68000, etc), and no beta/prototype sorts of games unless they ONLY exist in such a format (for EX: Primal Rage 2 for Arcade)

How "clean" is your complete game list?

I've collected all the main sets as well as a whole lot of others sets, collections and individual games from wherever I can find them. Also I'm not fussy about separating some files from others depending on language, beta, prototype, etc as they're all valid in my collection. I'm over 6 years in on this, I'm always looking for more.