LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Games Database Updates for March 1st, 2023

Jason Carr

Alright, the bugs with the one-off records that were in limbo have been fixed. The issues were:

• Trying to insert a new game or update the title of a game to a value that conflicts with an existing game (a game already exists with the same title and platform)
  • Trying to insert a new alternate title on a game that no longer exists
  • Trying to insert a new game with an invalid release date

In the case where a change has invalid data (such as the above), and cannot be promoted (made live), then the record is ultimately just disregarded, even though it was approved. So it's worth noting that for these rare one-off inappropriate or invalid changes, they will just be disregarded. We had around 10 of these changes that were in limbo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

One of the changes made in these updates to the Moderation of the DB was a randomization of the order in which changes get moderated. It used to be that a moderator would see the changes made in order of submission. In the new setup they are presented with some sort of weight system as to what gets addressed first, which is fine. However, the randomization breaks down when we have large volumes of change as we have had since someone/ones decided that all the Publisher and Developer names should no longer contain company info. 

Since then the volume of changes has far outstripped the ability of moderators to keep up with the changes. This means that on the 3rd of November I still have items with zero rejections that were submitted in the early morning of the 27th that are pending. Perhaps this is a reflection on the amount of people we have moderating, but I really think it comes down to that randomization. 

I'm not sure that I have a solution to present, perhaps the randomization needs to be tweaked in some fashion. Perhaps we need to attract more people to moderation or limit the amount of changes one person can enter in a given time period to allow issues like this to not arise. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...