LaunchBox Community Forums

Constant Crashing - new install

j.b

I have an S7 FE and downloaded the latest LB install, did the latest update, but continue to run into constant app crashes.

For example, I launch the app and it immediately crashes after a few seconds. I import games, and it consistently without fail crashed when finalizing the xml file near the end. And then just random crashes while scrolling through my library. 

Has anyone ran into this or have a suggestion?

What model do you have? How much memory? I personally have never ran into the issues you're having but I know Android does like to kill apps if they are hitting any resource "too hard". I don't dev on the Android side as much so not sure I can offer much help with what to try to better your experience unfortunately.

Are any error messages provided or does the app just close? I'd have to grab my Odin and play around to vet, but I'm fairly certain we have debug logging in the Android app as well, could make sure it's on and then navigate to \\LaunchBox\Logs\ and see if anything is generated in there that could help shed some light on what's going on.

Ya, just randomly crashes with no error and closes out with no error mssg.

I just found the option to enable debug logs so will post that once I have them to share.

Edit: attached two logs that I believe capture the app just randomly crashing seconds after loading.

Debug 2023-05-25 10-31-05 AM.log Debug 2023-05-25 10-32-08 AM.log

Edited by j.b
Adding debug logs

The only advice I can offer is to make certain that nothing associated with the app is on an SD card; everything should be using internal storage, including the data folder (check the settings). That tends to help, albeit not completely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The same thing is happening on my RP3+.  Import games, select location, reads games, scans folder, finishes...dumps to the home screen.  Every time.

One way around this is exporting from a PC install to an Android, but I also get crashes when scrolling games, so not sure what may be the issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just adding to the convo. I have an Odin PRO as well.  Crashes consistently after importing games. Right at the end. 

Also crashing when scrolling through games - specifically with a large number of files for a system.

Also, cannot connect to emumovies via the scraper.  It was working for a couple of systems then stopped. Checked logging in to emumovies via web with same login credentials and all is fine.

These issues have just started happening.  Never had these problems before.

I've not ran into any of the reported issues but planned on rebuilding my Odin's collection for other reasons anyway. Maybe I'll just look at doing so sooner so I can see if I can replicate on mine. What firmware version are you running on the Odin Pro (those reporting with one)? I know some of AYN firmware has been a bit more finnicky than others and want to ensure I'm on the same version before continuing.

1 minute ago, tallpr24 said:

i thought it was the odin, but its also happening on my samsung s20

I use the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE to do a lot of testing with the app, but haven't ran into any of those issues. I'm not sure if there's much difference between it and a Samsung Galaxy S20.

2 hours ago, tallpr24 said:

it only happens when the provided system has a long list of games. this happens to me on both devices, many users here are experiencing the same issues.

I wish it was as simple as that. For example, my Samsung Galaxy S20 FE has over 20k games I test with. Unfortunately, issues with crashing and the like aren't necessarily as easy as they appear and could be very specific to a device's conditions at a particular time.

That's not to say LaunchBox for Android doesn't have room for improvement, the next update should come with a few performance improvements that we are working on.

I comprehend and acknowledge that I procured the product with the knowledge that it was still in its Beta phase, and I am content with this decision. Your assertion is accurate; unlike Apple's iOS, Android operating systems exhibit a multitude of variables that can differentiate phones of the same model.