LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroAchievements functionality will no longer work until the API is brought back up

C-Beats

Just wanted to make everyone aware that the RetroAchievements API we use to gather a games achievement data as well as your achievement progress is down and under extended maintenance in an effort to fix some of the stability issues they've had lately. The following was posted by the RetroAchievements team via their Discord:

You may have noticed the site has been very slow recently. While a lot of work is being done in the background, we recognise that the situation is worsening so we've made the decision to disable the API for the (hopefully short) time being. Discord bots, external sites and streamers plugins will not work during this time. We ask for your patience as these changes are currently being tested and hope to turn this all around soon with the backend upgrades that we're preparing. Any updates to this situation will be posted here and you should be able to earn achievements uninterrupted in the meantime.

We realize this is a major inconvenience but at the moment any solution or path forward is out of our hands. We ask that no one brigade or harass the team at RetroAchievements about when to expect the API to come up again. They are already under immense level of stress just trying to get this all corrected and interrupting them helps no one. We'll monitor the situation and do our best to keep you informed as best as we can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Game On 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will achievements overview return to Launchbox menu since RA-page is now working again and so is achievements?
Or is that feature permanently removed since it caused too much strain on the servers?

EDIT:
First time post, so sry if this was addressed somewhere else!
I'm still learning to navigate the forum! 

Edited by Enherjaren

• 3 weeks later...

From the issue page on the retroachievements github discussing this https://github.com/RetroAchievements/retroachievements-api-js/issues/46:

is someone from the RA side working with staff from Launchbox on this type of integration being re-enabled once the APIs are fixed from the RA side?

"I don't have a good answer to that. I am sure someone from engineering would be happy to talk with them. It's possible they need a very limited amount of data that is only served from one of the more read-intensive endpoints. If we know what their needs are, we could perhaps service something more lightweight and performant that wouldn't be under the umbrella of the partially-disabled stuff."

From the last few posts over the last few days on that issue, it sounds like they've reactivated most of what they intend to, currently, but some of the heavier api functions will not be returning any time soon. However, as per the quote above, they are willing to coordinate and work with you right now to get functional what they can.

We've been in contact with many of the members of the  RetroAchievements team since the downtime was first announced. Right now they are working on changes required to bring the end points we use back up. That being said these changes are not simple and will take time to implement. I've not heard any sort of time lines from the team at this time though.

14 hours ago, Salatwehr said:

I set up launchbox for the first time today and nothing seemed to work. 

If you need some help with LB you can post on troubleshooting. If you have an error you can add it in the post.

14 hours ago, Salatwehr said:

Retroachievements AND emumovies being down/having maintanance was really unexpected for me

Emumovies and RA are not LB products, it is important to know, because they does not depend on LB team. LB has been improved a lot to work better with them. 

I have just tried now Emumovies and it works. I have downloaded some video without problem.

We hope that RA can return like before, I know that they are working hard on that.

I hope this help. 

They made a big step backwards by messing with RetroAchivements, in addition to causing the hassle of an executable that forces reading only if you click on a game in Launchbox, which triggers the download of the rom or iso in my case where I leave all the roms and isos on Onedrive, where the download is actually automatically done only when the game is run, now I had to block the executable, even when it is running, RetroAchivements are no longer displayed in Launchbox, they always give an error, I can only view them within the Retroarch. Unfortunately this caused a major setback in the software.