LaunchBox Community Forums

New UPDATE Request - Translation of Meta Description`s Game in other Language

marcosgaming

Hi Jason and my favorite team,

i`m waiting a new Update that translates meta description for every game in other language.

In my case italian, but i think this NEWS can be very appreciated from all LaunchBox and BigBox lovers.

I think not is so difficult.... I hope in you and your team. Great Guys! 🤩

@Jason Carr read this post ❤️

• Like 2

Right now the database doesn't support multiple languages. We don't have any fields in place to say, "This text is in a specific language" which would need added. Then we'd need to change every web page we have to allow for the selection (and modification) of the field in the alternate languages, THEN we'd to change how the metadata file that we use to scrape games is created to include additional language information (which could raise bloat issues as that file is already HUGE) in a way that doesn't break older LB builds, and THEN once ALL of that is done we still have to modify the application to USE the new file moving forward. All of that is also completely ignoring the fact that users would have to supply translated metadata after those changes were made before you could even use all of that hard work.

Not saying it'll never happen, but "is not so difficult" is about the biggest understatement imaginable and we have to plan accordingly before any major change like that can ever be developed. In the meantime I'd look into Skraper and see if their offering can help you out in your endeavors.

• Like 3

Yeah, in the meantime you can try Skraper. I know several users in our community do without too many issues. Some of their default settings (namely the backup settings) can wreak havoc and break things, but they are pretty well documented on the forums.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello, I had also made the request and I imagine that it is not a priority given the complications that it can cause.
I am French and it is true that a description in our respective language is always more valuable.
concerning skrapper I had only problems it works for a while but the double entry games do not work and it created some bugs for me.
But a simplified integration of data collected on skraper (the xlm files) would perhaps be an alternative that could satisfy everyone, even if it should be up to them (skraper) to make the compatibility more optimal.
all in all, it would be cool if one day we could use their database more easily with launchbox (against payment for their good service and to support them)
anyway thank you for the work launchbox is a fantastic tool and the integration of retroarch is just perfect.
sorry if my english is not perfect i use google translate, good evening

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I too am interested in this happening. Skraper is not an option, it doesn't work with multidiscs and if you have several games from different regions (it creates duplicate entries for each region). I think that the issue of the community would not be a problem... many people would be willing to contribute their translated information.

Let's hope they cheer up soon and give us good news.

Launchbox right now is the best front-end out there for emulation and we thank you for all of that.

PS: Translated from Spanish to English by google translate.

Edited by Lechuso
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

French too and interested.

But from my point of view, what we really need is not so much Translation, but to have inside the launchbox id, for each games, links to other database Skraper, but also ign, gamefaqs, HowLongToBeat, IGDB, pcgamingwiki, StrategyWiki ...
With that, it would be a piece of cake to make plugin that use info from other database.

But i can totally understand that's not C-Beats priority.

Edited by Nixx

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eonder87 said:

@marcosgaming we can share each other to different platform xml files for that. I'm a Turk and we have added translation to Turkish already. If we can create and share specific XML files it will be awesome.

On 12/29/2023 at 11:05 AM, 100dedo said:

Yesterday I posted this script that translates XML files, and consequently changes the description language of games and platforms, to the one you are interested in.

It is possible to use both the executable and run the script itself via Python.

• Like 1

This is my favorite request. The possibility of translating the notes into other languages. Screenscraper has great translations into Spanish, French, Italian, etc. It would be awesome to be able to access them when you scrape in Launchbox.