LaunchBox Community Forums

[Tutorial] Set up RPCS3 in LaunchBox (PKG / RAP)

k_rollo

I watched this new tutorial from @ETAPRIME and the process can still be cumbersome if you have ROMs as PKG/RAP files, which is what you will find mostly these days.

Here is what I did if it helps someone:

1. Install the PKG/RAP with RPCS3. This extracts the game to /dev_hdd0/game/[GameSerial]

2. Add /dev_hdd0/game/ as the ROM folder in LaunchBox.

3. LaunchBox should automatically detect the EBOOT.BIN for the game. If not, you'll need to manually add this file.

4. The boxart/metadata can be completely wrong. You can fix this manually in LaunchBox via Edit Metadata/Media as usual.

5. (Optional) You can delete the PKG/RAP files. They are no longer needed after the game is installed to /dev_hdd0.

End result attached. I do not plan to emulate too many PS3 titles, so I am fine doing this individually.

If anyone (or @C-Beats @Retro808) knows an easier way to do it in batch directly from PKG/RAP formats, feel free to share.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 161930.png

Edited by k_rollo
  • Game On 1

• k_rollo changed the title to [Tutorial] Set up RPCS3 in LaunchBox (PKG/RAP)
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to keep my games as 1 file = one game without installation.

That's why for PS3, i opted for disc library and i mount iso.
But some game are PSN Exclusive and i want to be able to launch them with something like rpcs3.exe <GameFile>

I have an idea about how to do that, but i would need people to help me test it.

This is my first draft : 

First i go on "creation mode" using admin rights on rpcs3, then i launch a newly generated ps3 psn game.

Still have work to do, but in the end, i want only have standalone file, either iso for ps3 disc game or vhdx for psn game.

1 hour ago, Knowcontrol said:

Thank you, this has never been clear to me and I don't believe it was mentioned in ETA's video.

You're welcome. The PKG/RAP are installer files. It's in the same vein as deleting the EXE installer after you've installed a program in Windows.

Just tried out your program. This is exactly what I was looking for! I don't understand why the RPCS3 team hasn't enabled ISO support from the beginning. I have a fairly large collection of PS3 games (around 300) moving the raw files to my NAS took forever because of the various file sizes within each directory. Having them in ISO will solve this issue. Launchbox recently made it easier to add PS3 games, but because of the amount of games I have it would take forever for them to load on import. I will be happily converting all my files over to ISO format! I'll try the other method for PSN content at a later date. Thank you very much!

Edit: Referring to IsoEnablerForRPCS3 v2.0 by Nixx

Edited by Hellzknight666
  • Like 1

• k_rollo changed the title to [Tutorial] Set up RPCS3 in LaunchBox (PKG / RAP)
  • 5 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 3:49 PM, Nixx said:

Ok, so i did it : 
https://github.com/nixxou/IsoEnablerForRPCS3/releases/tag/V2.0

Now i can launch PSN game as standalone file like for exemple rpcs3.exe D:/ps3/psn/GuityGear.vhdx

I have given a try to your tool and it works like a charm! Many thanks for sharing it. I have only one question, how can I generate the vhdx file for a psn game that I installed on Rpcs3 before discovering your tool? I mean without having the pkg files to reinstall them again.