LaunchBox Community Forums

New external hard drive.

billdog1225

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i recently ordered a 8TB external drive that I want to transfer all my LaunchBox, Rom sets, Emulatoes, etc. Once I do that will I have to re-import all my games or will it recognize the new drive in LaunchBox? My mini pc is a mess and I've got 4 different drives with games all over the place and I want to organize and streamline everything. 

1 hour ago, billdog1225 said:

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i recently ordered a 8TB external drive that I want to transfer all my LaunchBox, Rom sets, Emulatoes, etc. Once I do that will I have to re-import all my games or will it recognize the new drive in LaunchBox? My mini pc is a mess and I've got 4 different drives with games all over the place and I want to organize and streamline everything. 

After you run through your organization of your files, go into LaunchBox, select all games on a platform by platform basis and run Tools > File Management > Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games for each platform that needs it.

34 minutes ago, faeran said:

After you run through your organization of your files, go into LaunchBox, select all games on a platform by platform basis and run Tools > File Management > Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games for each platform that needs it.

Thank you so much! Yea its a mess. I started to try and organize but its hard without the drive I ordered. 

1 hour ago, Geduk said:

Wow 8tb how much will all the games take up when transfers over?  hope that's going  to leave you a lot of space .... I'm just starting a new build without going out to get a new drive I've got a max of 2tb 

It depends what you want. For me I'm more of a collector and with artwork and games I'm close to 40TB. Plus another 40TB for backup.

Edited by Joe35car

• 9 months later...

Could someone who has a large, very large collection tell me how long the LB-BB folder takes up?
I'm in the process of building my LB-BB and I would like to buy an SSD drive and move the entire folder without games to SSD, but I don't know what SSD to buy to fit everything and speed up BB 🤔

35 minutes ago, KRI$85 said:

Could someone who has a large, very large collection tell me how long the LB-BB folder takes up?
I'm in the process of building my LB-BB and I would like to buy an SSD drive and move the entire folder without games to SSD, but I don't know what SSD to buy to fit everything and speed up BB 🤔

I have almost 9k games, and my LB folder takes 330gb, I've downloaded box fronts and CD/cart front packs (highquality), screenshots, videos (prioritizing highest quality), manuals, fanart backgrounds, all as a single entries (no duplicates)  for games that had them either via the LB database or Emumovies. The LB folder also contains all my emulators. Games are stored in another location.

Edited by Kefka2b
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kefka2b said:

I have almost 9k games, and my LB folder takes 330gb, I've downloaded box fronts and CD/cart front packs (highquality), screenshots, videos (prioritizing highest quality), manuals, fanart backgrounds, all as a single entries (no duplicates)  for games that had them either via the LB database or Emumovies. The LB folder also contains all my emulators. Games are stored in another location.

Thanks for the quick answer, so 3TB SSD is the minimum🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KRI$85 said:

Thanks for the quick answer, so 3TB SSD is the minimum🤔

If it's only to store media and emulators, you can have a much smaller one, although even 4TB SSDs have become pretty cheap nowadays (even NVME ones). Depends on how many games your library will contain.

59 minutes ago, Kefka2b said:

If it's only to store media and emulators, you can have a much smaller one, although even 4TB SSDs have become pretty cheap nowadays (even NVME ones). Depends on how many games your library will contain.

LB-BB Media video folder etc., games on other HDDs ;)

First of all, I would like LB-BB to work on an SSD drive so that it would be smooth and fast, that's why I'm asking and now I have some determinant, 9K games is 330gb.
It's strange that  can't separate the media paths, then 2X SSD and the problem is solved, unless I'm wrong?

This is the problem, I would like to have a VERY LARGE one, I am aiming for at least 64+TB hdd and in the future I will switch to full SSD when large SSDs become available (it's a dream to have 1Peta but I probably won't be able to live up to it :D

As know, modern games take up a lot and can run better on SSD, just like some arcade games on PC, not to mention there will always be little space :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KRI$85 said:

It's strange that  can't separate the media paths

You can. You can change where images are stored per platform per image type. You have to do so manually so moving a lot can be tedious but it CAN be done. Go to Tools > Manage > Platforms. Select the platform and press edit. Then go to the folders tab and change which folder(s) you want to change.

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

8 hours ago, C-Beats said:

You can. You can change where images are stored per platform per image type. You have to do so manually so moving a lot can be tedious but it CAN be done. Go to Tools > Manage > Platforms. Select the platform and press edit. Then go to the folders tab and change which folder(s) you want to change.

OMG RLY damn I'm blind oh yes, problem solved😍
1x SSD Win + LB-BB media, Second the rest media and finally more HDD drives, preferably 1 Peta and Ultra Hiper Monster Collection ready after setting everything, of course hehe. THERE WILL BE POWER muahaha huh 😈

Thank you for this great news💪