LaunchBox Community Forums

Favorite Controllers?

RavenDarhk

Hello,

So, I recently got the Scuf Envision Pro and while I have only been using it for a few days now, this controller for PC is a game changer for me and while it still needs some more play time, it is quickly becoming my new favorite gaming controller. When it arrived, I had a total "nerd-gasm moment" as my daughter put it. The play is smooth and and it has practically no input delay. The best part though is that you do not have to assign the back buttons keys that already exist on the control. There is also a series of G keys you can assign what ever action you wish to include macros. The Envision gives a total of 26 buttons making it a lot like a keyboard. It has a nice weight and the overall feel is pleasing and it is also nice how easy they make their controllers to customize and change the looks. Provided it does not start acting like it is possessed, I may very well have found my new favorite controller.

So, this stirred my curiosity a bit. What are some of the favorite controllers used by gamers here and what makes that control shine in your eyes? Is it a controller made primarily for PC or console?

For retrogaming and games that do not require analog sticks the Hori Fight Commander is by far the best controller, the d-pad on it is as close to perfect as you can get.

For general purpose PC gaming that requires an analog stick the MS Xbox controller is more than adequate for my needs.

That Scuf Envision controller does look nice but at 130$ USD that d-pad better not suck like it does on most every other controller out there.

2 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

For retrogaming and games that do not require analog sticks the Hori Fight Commander is by far the best controller, the d-pad on it is as close to perfect as you can get.

For general purpose PC gaming that requires an analog stick the MS Xbox controller is more than adequate for my needs.

That Scuf Envision controller does look nice but at 130$ USD that d-pad better not suck like it does on most every other controller out there.

how does windows detect hori fight stick controller ? As xinput ? For windows control panel is the button position numbering the same as xbox360? ?
I have to make up my mind before buying 😌

Edited by Sbaby

The Hori Fight Commander looks interesting. It is a controller I have not tried. I get the price thing. I used to get annoyed with $50-60 for game controllers. I would see the ones in the hundreds and say, "I am never going to spend that on a controller." Then the Xbox Elite series 2 controller came with my Series X, and I love that one. The only thing that annoyed me was while you have 4 extra back keys, they could only be assigned to pre-existing keys; in some games like Dying Light, it makes sense to use them like that, but mainly seems pointless. I don't like those limitations. Then I had 5 PS5 controllers, all developing stick drift. So, I invested in Sony's Pro Controller since it has the option to replace the sticks. Now new technology is in some 3rd party controllers to avoid stick drift altogether. So, my feelings have changed a bit; for my personal use, I have a hard time convincing myself to invest in any controller under 100$, but I still buy plenty under 100$ as those are usually the ones I have for guests or kids to use. I may use that as an excuse to try the Hori controller. Plus, the D-Pad on many controllers is usually one of my biggest complaints; they are never how I want them to be. It is about time to restock, I haven't been that motivated after having so many of my PS5 controllers go kaput.

• 3 weeks later...

I have basically 4 controllers in rotation... xbox controller, 8bitdo m30, nintendo switch snes controller and the nintendo switch online nes controller.

The ps5 controller is nice too but the battery life is bad....

I have many more but those cover most of the 8/16/32-bit consoles...

The ps5 version hori fighting commander octa I can't recommend. The buttons feel weird (clicky) and the dpad is awful...

The nso switch controllers are not cheap but worth it.... no additional software needed to run them.... highly recommended!

Edited by cheguewara

I mostly use DS4 controller as primary, run them as Xinput with DS4Win except if i need to use gyro or stuff like that. Battery life is bad, outside of that they are awesome controllers.

I have some old 360 wired controller to fill extra 3 and 4 players.

I have a N64 switch wireless controller, just for playing N64.

Got one Mad Catz Street Fighter X Tekken arcade stick for xbox 360 too.

Edited by Nixx

11 hours ago, Nixx said:

Got one Mad Catz Street Fighter X Tekken arcade stick for xbox 360 too.

I bought the SF4 Madcatz Arcade stick (2008) still working no problems.... back in the days, my stomach hurt because of the price... I dont regret buying it though

Looking at current Controller Prices today....😞