LaunchBox Community Forums

Start on a specific platform in BigBox ?

Elhora

Hi.

Scuse me first if i didn't find this option in the BigBox menu.

Is it possible to make Bigbox starting on a specific platform on launch ? i only found how to specify the category, but not specific  platform.

My arcade cabinet has all the platform on it, but as it's an arcade cabinet, i'd like Bigbox starts in the Arcade Platform . But didn't find how to achieve that.

Is it possible to make Bigbox starting on a specific platform on launch ?

Yes. To start BigBox ON a specific platform:

• In BigBox, navigate to your Arcade platform.
  • Exit BigBox
  • (re)Start BigBox
    • You should be on Arcade
  • Goto System Menu - Options - General
  • Turn Off Remember Last Platform

i'd like Bigbox starts in the Arcade Platform.

I don't believe there's an option to start BigBox IN a specific platform (viewing the games).

Edited by JoeViking245
clarification

9 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Yes. To start BigBox ON a specific platform:

• In BigBox, navigate to your Arcade platform.
  • Exit BigBox
  • (re)Start BigBox
    • You should be on Arcade
  • Goto System Menu - Options - General
  • Turn Off Remember Last Platform

I don't believe there's an option to start BigBox IN a specific platform (viewing the games).

I’ve wanted to do this as well because 3d0 is first on my wheel it shows first when I launch. I’d have to change the name to Panasonic or in settings check the remember last platform and exit on Arcade everytime or make the file read only. Would be nice to be able to make Arcade the default platform to start on. 

41 minutes ago, Jabb3rJaw said:

This only works if I have remember last platform checked but then I have to make sure I exit on Arcade everytime. Once I uncheck remember last platform it goes back to 3DO

Dang!  I was sure that had worked before. But then again, I've been wrong before too.  And after some testing, I find I am wrong again.  Sorry about that.  I don't actually use BB that often, and when I do, I'm usually playing in the same platform.

One other option (not that the 1st one turned out to be an actual option) is to set the platforms Sort Title to something like "01".  (LaunchBox, Edit platform, Details tab, Sort Title).  Also, turn off Remember Last Platform (in BigBox).  This should put it at the top of the list above 3DO.  It might look funny being there, but it will still say "Arcade" and be the default starting platform.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Dang!  I was sure that had worked before. But then again, I've been wrong before too.  And after some testing, I find I am wrong again.  Sorry about that.  I don't actually use BB that often, and when I do, I'm usually playing in the same platform.

One other option (not that the 1st one turned out to be an actual option) is to set the platforms Sort Title to something like "01".  (LaunchBox, Edit platform, Details tab, Sort Title).  Also, turn off Remember Last Platform (in BigBox).  This should put it at the top of the list above 3DO.  It might look funny being there, but it will still say "Arcade" and be the default starting platform.

I appreciate the help still. I’m wondering if I could edit an xml and make it read only or if changing my platform name for 3D0 to Panasonic would put it down further on the list? I think there’s a couple options but would be nice to have it as an option to start on whatever platform you want. Thanks again for the help!

13 hours ago, Jabb3rJaw said:

I appreciate the help still. I’m wondering if I could edit an xml and make it read only or if changing my platform name for 3D0 to Panasonic would put it down further on the list? I think there’s a couple options but would be nice to have it as an option to start on whatever platform you want. Thanks again for the help!

probably should give it try, you'll know in seconds if it works or not. my guess though is Big Box might have a fit if it cannot save to the XML file due to being read only, in this case I think it's BigBoxSettings. Tag is something like <LastPlatform>. Beware though, if that plan does work, making the XML file read-only would prevent you from making any other changes too.

Joe's idea sounds like the path of least resistance in my opinion. You would get the result you want, but wouldn't be locking up Big Box from being able to save any other settings.

If going the editing XML route I would instead think you would have to automate editing the XML file, inserting in the preferred last platform at each boot. Which would then require Big Box to be launched from a script each time so it could run this XML editing part prior to launching Big Box. This is more complex than simply editing the platform's sort title.

Your other idea is equal to the sort title idea. If it was instead "Panasonic 3DO" it's going to be in another point in the list sequence and assuming there are no other platforms between 3DO and Arcade, that would make Arcade your top most platform and therefore start on it every time (also assuming you turned off Remember Last Platform)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jabb3rJaw said:

an option to start on whatever platform you want.

Sounds like that'd be an excellent feature request. ;)  (Help & Support - Request a Feature [at the top of this page])

I'm not sure making the xml ReadOnly is a good idea but should do-the-trick.  For a while.  One problem, as mentioned is you wouldn't be able to save any changes to BB.  But if you have it setup the way you want, there really is no need.  Another [potential] problem would be when BB gets updated.

37 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

If going the editing XML route I would instead think you would have to automate editing the XML file

I do this on my cab for (A) playing on the cabs monitor or (B) playing on the TV.  I use different Themes for each and have a PowerShell script that will 'edit' BigBoxSettings.xml, changing the Theme accordingly. Then starts BigBox.  (2 scripts actually. One for each screen.)

Here's an example that will set the <LastPlatform> to "Arcade" and then start BigBox.  Before using something like this, you will need to have had BB closed with the option Rember the Last Platform set to On.  Otherwise, the script won't be able to find the element <LastPlatform>.

$filePathToTask = "D:\LaunchBox\Data\BigBoxSettings.xml"
$xml = New-Object XML
$xml.Load($filePathToTask)
$element =  $xml.SelectSingleNode("//LastPlatform")
$element.InnerText = "Arcade"
$xml.Save($filePathToTask)

& D:\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Exit

It's not the prettiest startup process (i.e. you see the PowerShell window pop up for a second), but is quite effective.  You could probably do the same thing via an AutoHotkey script or maybe even a batch file, if those are more your flavor.

• Like 2

I only read part of this, so hopefully I'm getting what you are wanting to do correct. If you are wanting to always have Arcade selected when you open Big Box, you could change its sort title to something that forces it to the top of your list. That way, you are always seeing it when Big Box loads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, faeran said:

I only read part of this, so hopefully I'm getting what you are wanting to do correct. If you are wanting to always have Arcade selected when you open Big Box, you could change its sort title to something that forces it to the top of your list. That way, you are always seeing it when Big Box loads.

Ok so I changed the sort title to 1 Arcade and that seems to have done the trick. 

• Like 1
  • Game On 1

8 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

I do this on my cab for (A) playing on the cabs monitor or (B) playing on the TV.  I use different Themes for each and have a PowerShell script that will 'edit' BigBoxSettings.xml, changing the Theme accordingly. Then starts BigBox.  (2 scripts actually. One for each screen.)

Here's an example that will set the <LastPlatform> to "Arcade" and then start BigBox.  Before using something like this, you will need to have had BB closed with the option Rember the Last Platform set to On.  Otherwise, the script won't be able to find the element <LastPlatform>.

$filePathToTask = "D:\LaunchBox\Data\BigBoxSettings.xml"
$xml = New-Object XML
$xml.Load($filePathToTask)
$element =  $xml.SelectSingleNode("//LastPlatform")
$element.InnerText = "Arcade"
$xml.Save($filePathToTask)

& D:\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Exit

It's not the prettiest startup process (i.e. you see the PowerShell window pop up for a second), but is quite effective.  You could probably do the same thing via an AutoHotkey script or maybe even a batch file, if those are more your flavor.

I can't do squat in PowerShell but damn that PowerShell script is way more compact compared to an AHK equivalent. *insert Borat tone here* Very nice! There is a way to make the PowerShell window launch minimized and be hidden. I just started trying to use it for some random scripts in the last month and I thought a good start was to use it to map network disks, but after noticing the shell window pop up I was determined to get rid of that pesky thing. here is what I am using in AHK to run the PowerShell script from a command prompt....yea I know, bit of a convoluted path but it does the trick! So this could be done just as well with a batch file.

Run, %comspec% /c start /min powershell -WindowStyle Hidden -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "Map Network Disks.ps1"

start it minimized I know you're than familiar with, but the other PowerShell specific parameters work together to make it hidden also. With exception you do still see the taskbar button appear for PowerShell for a nano second, like if you blink it's already came and gone sorta thing.

• Like 1