LaunchBox Community Forums

PCSX2 Configurator Next Beta 2

(19 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

PCSX2 Configurator Next for LaunchBox
PCSX2 Configuartor Next is a plugin for LaunchBox that allows users to easily configure PCSX2 on a per-game basis. The plugin also allows for pre-optimised configs to be downloaded from right within LaunchBox for a whole host of popular PS2 games, from Zombeaver's excellent PS2 Configuration Project.

Installation
The plugin is easy to install and simply needs to be downloaded and extracted. The archive contains a folder called "PCSX2 Configurator Next", this should be placed in the root of the "Plugins" in the user's LaunchBox directory. Any previous versions of the plugin should be removed before attempting to install this version.

General Usage
The plugin is relatively straight forward to use, but has been changed significantly from previous versions. You will first need to have PCSX2 (1.5.0 development build) setup as an emulator in LaunchBox. Then right click on a PS2 Game and choose "PCSX2 Configurator" from near the bottom of the context menu. This will present a menu of options:

"Create Config" - Creates a new config for the game in question based on the users current PCSX2 settings, If a config already exists this will overwrite that config with a new one.

"Download Config" - This will download one of Zombeaver's Config and set it up to be ready to play for the selected game, this will be greyed out if now config is available, and will change to "Update Config" if a new update is available for the downloaded config.

"Remove Config" - This will remove the current config for the selected game, and will be greyed out if there is no current config.

"Configure With PCSX2" - This will open PCSX2 with the config for the selected game loaded, allowing you to customise your config for the selected game (Downloaded Config's can also be tweaked). Once a game has a created config this can also be done using LaunchBox's built in "Configure" from the games context menu. Both these options will be greyed out if there is no config for the selected game.

There is also a "settings.ini" file created in the plugins folder ("%LaunchBoxDir%/Plugins/PCSX2 Configurator Next"), this can be tweaked manually but most settings don't need to be touched in most cases. Some people may wish to change the "GameConfigsDir" which is where the created configs are stored, this deafults to the users PCSX2 "inis" directory. There is currently no inteface to modify these settings, but that is planned in a future version.

Version Info and The Next in The Name
This version of the plugin is the successor to the original PCSX2 Configurator plugin, with a completely re-worked codebase from that version, and full compatibility with LaunchBox.Next (which is now the current version of LaunchBox). The main reason "Next" was added to the name is to initially seperate it from that (now discontinued) verison of the plugin. This release is currently in Beta and the "Next" from the name will probably be dropped eventually for a stable release with more features.

Credit and Support
I have personally put a lot of time and effort into all versions of this plugin, with it essentially being my free-time pet project for the last year and a half. Though I know the plugin would not be what it is today without Zombeaver who really helped me to bring this plugin to the next level, by allow me to integrate his PS2 configurations into it as well as creating artwork and helping me test the plugin. I would also like to say a big thank you to spectral, neil9000, and kmoney for helping me out with testing, and of course Jason Carr for making LaunchBox and implementing some of my requested changes into the plugin engine. I intend to keep working on this plugin, and fix any reported bugs as well as update the plugin with new features. So if you have any problem or feature request's hop over to the plugins thread on the forums and let me know. The project is also open sourced under the MIT license and can be found on my github.

UPDATE (JUNE 2020): This Plugin is now in maintenance mode, and is nearing end of life. I am currently working on a standalone version that will serve the same purpose, which will also be made to work with LaunchBox. The progress of that can be found here

What's New in Version Beta 2   See changelog

Released

New in This Release:

• Custom Command Line Parameters can now be specified a part of a config. A file called "cli.txt" should be placed in config directory with parameters separated by commas and/or line breaks.
  • User can now have multiple versions of PSCX2. The Title of the version that the plugin will use can now be specified in Settings.ini (Pcsx2BuildTitle).
  • Nicer handling of Absolute Paths. All Absolute paths are qualified from the drive's root and no longer reference the LaunchBox directory.
  • Configs directory can now be relative to the PCSX2 directory. This is now the default behaviour
  • No error will be shown if a non critical PCSX2 base config file is missing when downloading a config, before this crashed the plugin.
  • Custom command line parameters will now always update when wrong and/or missing information, but if all information provided is correct edits can still be made.
  • Nicer Drop Shadow on Title Text, also added text-wrap for longer titles.
  • Plugin now uses the PCSX2 Icon.
  • Major Code changes and refactor (Does not affect User).
  • Just a quick note about Updating from a previous release. I advise you first delete your Settings.ini file from the plugins directory, and let the plugin recreate it, as this version handles some of the settings slightly differently.

HOTFIX September 2020 - fix for new versions of Launchbox (11.4+), with new folder structure

HOTFIX June 2020 - fixes issue with issue with pnach files not overwriting existing files, also adds widescreen as default for remote configs

HOTFIX April 2020 - fixes issue with 7zip being moved to third party folder

• Like 23
  • Thanks 19
  • Unusual Gem 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, cleverest said:

The configurator is no longer launching with 10.7 (and possibly 10.6, I didn't test it before this version...) - can this be fixed?

Something else is going on for you, it's working just fine for me on 10.7.

image.thumb.png.de98f8bcfe1fad4803751f93d96b51a7.png

Hello, running the latest launchbox. I properly installed the configurator plugin, and though it appears as an option in the right click menu, nothing happens when I click on it. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know what might be the issue? Please and thank you.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:53 PM, ashensinned said:

Hello, running the latest launchbox. I properly installed the configurator plugin, and though it appears as an option in the right click menu, nothing happens when I click on it. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know what might be the issue? Please and thank you.

I'm having the same issue. Have the newest verison of LB and the latest PCSX2 1.5 build.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:53 PM, ashensinned said:

I am having similar issues and my solution was to get rid of my other plugin (PlaytimeTracker). Now keep in mind, I am brand new to LaunchBox and I have no idea how to properly place multiple plugins in the folder so there is a good chance I was just hindering myself.

• Thanks 1

Just in case anyone has the same problem I had, namely where nothing happens when you click on the PCSX2 Configurator option in the right-click context menu, here's what I did to get it to work:

Rename the plugin folder and remove "Beta 2" at the end of the name so that it just says "PCSX2 Configurator Next".

After starting LaunchBox, the menu now shows up when I click on the option.

It seems that the settings are such that it's looking for that specific name, and the Beta 2 part of it is screwing with that.

Edited by AMReese

On 3/30/2019 at 3:42 AM, Deejus679 said:

I would first like to begin by saying thank you to @alec100_94 and @Zombeaver for this amazing plugin! The ability to have pre-configured optimizations in a matter of seconds with a click of a button is truly an amazing feat.

Though this program is very user friendly in nature, it has taken me a bit to get everything up and going-- the most recent developer build of 1.5 wasn't playing nicely with the plugin, which I didn't learn until much trial and error.

I resorted to using a build I had acquired a while back (pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-1793-g52ec143-windows-x86.), and I think I have everything up and going for the most part.

My only problem has to with memory cards saves. I have plenty of saves in my "memcards" folder. When I access a game that has not been configured using the plugin, I have no problems. When using the plugin the game does not recognize the memory card/memcards folder, thus I am unable to load from any of my previous saves.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Did you ever fix this? I'm having the exact same problem

Honestly I don't think I did ever get it sorted. I think I just dealt with it.

I may have tried to tamper with save states outside of Launchbox, and later tried loading those save states inside of Launchbox followed up by a regular save. But, after fooling around with so many emulaors they all start to blend together. 

If you want to try experimenting, you can attempt the following:

1. If it's still possible, load a saved game outside Launchbox 

2. Create a save state with that loaded game

3. Go back into Launchbox with the PS2 emulator and configurator

4. Load the save state

5. Save the game per usual inside the emulator and Launchbox

I can't guarantee that it will work, but it might be worth a shot.

Good luck!

Edited by Deejus679

On 12/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, AMReese said:

Just in case anyone has the same problem I had, namely where nothing happens when you click on the PCSX2 Configurator option in the right-click context menu, here's what I did to get it to work:

Rename the plugin folder and remove "Beta 2" at the end of the name so that it just says "PCSX2 Configurator Next".

After starting LaunchBox, the menu now shows up when I click on the option.

It seems that the settings are such that it's looking for that specific name, and the Beta 2 part of it is screwing with that.

Didn't work for me. Mine was already named "PCSX2 Configurator Next" and just doesn't work. (won't launch)

30 minutes ago, cleverest said:

Anyone ever figure this out? Nothing it working, reinstalled the plugin, using beta2 (latest), simply doesn't come up anymore.

There was nothing to figure out. It still works. What exactly is the issue you are having?

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

There was nothing to figure out. It still works. What exactly is the issue you are having?

It doesn't for me. It doesn't come up when I right-click a game and choose it. It basically ignores the click. No error. It used to work fine a couple versions ago.  I reinstall it, and it doesn't fix it.

Please fix the plugin, it is greyed out when right clicking.

I need it It makes life so much easier!

Edited by PredaBox

3 minutes ago, PredaBox said:

Please fix the plugin, it is greyed out when right clicking.

I need it It makes life so much easier!

Still working just fine here on Launchbox 10.9.

1230717189_Screenshot(223).thumb.png.3df32364518bb7eba8ab670a01d75576.png312163840_Screenshot(224).thumb.png.f25f4fbfe6f618150705a12d2418acd2.png

Maybe for you, but reinstalling the plugin, reinstalling launchbox, doesn't make it work, since 10,6 I think, is there  something that Im not aware of?

Edited by PredaBox
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PredaBox said:

Maybe for you, but reinstalling the plugin, reinstalling launchbox, doesn't make it work, since 10,6 I think, is there  something that Im not aware of?

I agree with you, mine also stopped working and I have gotten no solution for it.

YES! After days of trying to fix the greyed out option, I found what the problem was, it was so simple, Im used to name the "Sony Playstation 2" platform just "Playstation 2"

That was causing the plugin to not work for me, now it's named "Sony Playstation 2" again, I guess I will have to use the default name if I want to use the plugin.

Edited by PredaBox

10 hours ago, PredaBox said:

YES! After days of trying to fix the greyed out option, I found what the problem was, it was so simple, Im used to name the "Sony Playstation 2" platform just "Playstation 2"

That was causing the plugin to not work for me, now it's named "Sony Playstation 2" again, I guess I will have to use the default name if I want to use the plugin.

Sadly that doesn't help me, but I'm glad it's working for you.  Mine has always been named  Sony Playstation 2, and I still have the greyed out problem. Everything else works, so it's for sure some conflict with the plugin and my collection/update/system-build

On 1/28/2019 at 3:14 AM, neil9000 said:

Sounds like you downloaded the source code from github, and not the actual plugin from the download section of the forums here.

Ohhh so this was what I did wrong... Hope others don't make the same mistake I did

@RobertBlum It's no secret that I am not really working on this at the moment, but as you asked a sensible question I'll give you an answer. Basically it disables the presets in PCSX2 when creating a new configuration with the tool and allows you to customise the use of Game Fixes and Speed Hacks. I mostly put it in for @Zombeaver to make his workflow easier when making new configs, if you know what your doing and making your own configs feel free to enable it.

I just wish mine has worked for the last 10 versions. Still doesn't, even though I'm told it does. I just ended up having to remove it.