LaunchBox Community Forums

PCSX2 Configurator Next Beta 2

(19 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

PCSX2 Configurator Next for LaunchBox
PCSX2 Configuartor Next is a plugin for LaunchBox that allows users to easily configure PCSX2 on a per-game basis. The plugin also allows for pre-optimised configs to be downloaded from right within LaunchBox for a whole host of popular PS2 games, from Zombeaver's excellent PS2 Configuration Project.

Installation
The plugin is easy to install and simply needs to be downloaded and extracted. The archive contains a folder called "PCSX2 Configurator Next", this should be placed in the root of the "Plugins" in the user's LaunchBox directory. Any previous versions of the plugin should be removed before attempting to install this version.

General Usage
The plugin is relatively straight forward to use, but has been changed significantly from previous versions. You will first need to have PCSX2 (1.5.0 development build) setup as an emulator in LaunchBox. Then right click on a PS2 Game and choose "PCSX2 Configurator" from near the bottom of the context menu. This will present a menu of options:

"Create Config" - Creates a new config for the game in question based on the users current PCSX2 settings, If a config already exists this will overwrite that config with a new one.

"Download Config" - This will download one of Zombeaver's Config and set it up to be ready to play for the selected game, this will be greyed out if now config is available, and will change to "Update Config" if a new update is available for the downloaded config.

"Remove Config" - This will remove the current config for the selected game, and will be greyed out if there is no current config.

"Configure With PCSX2" - This will open PCSX2 with the config for the selected game loaded, allowing you to customise your config for the selected game (Downloaded Config's can also be tweaked). Once a game has a created config this can also be done using LaunchBox's built in "Configure" from the games context menu. Both these options will be greyed out if there is no config for the selected game.

There is also a "settings.ini" file created in the plugins folder ("%LaunchBoxDir%/Plugins/PCSX2 Configurator Next"), this can be tweaked manually but most settings don't need to be touched in most cases. Some people may wish to change the "GameConfigsDir" which is where the created configs are stored, this deafults to the users PCSX2 "inis" directory. There is currently no inteface to modify these settings, but that is planned in a future version.

Version Info and The Next in The Name
This version of the plugin is the successor to the original PCSX2 Configurator plugin, with a completely re-worked codebase from that version, and full compatibility with LaunchBox.Next (which is now the current version of LaunchBox). The main reason "Next" was added to the name is to initially seperate it from that (now discontinued) verison of the plugin. This release is currently in Beta and the "Next" from the name will probably be dropped eventually for a stable release with more features.

Credit and Support
I have personally put a lot of time and effort into all versions of this plugin, with it essentially being my free-time pet project for the last year and a half. Though I know the plugin would not be what it is today without Zombeaver who really helped me to bring this plugin to the next level, by allow me to integrate his PS2 configurations into it as well as creating artwork and helping me test the plugin. I would also like to say a big thank you to spectral, neil9000, and kmoney for helping me out with testing, and of course Jason Carr for making LaunchBox and implementing some of my requested changes into the plugin engine. I intend to keep working on this plugin, and fix any reported bugs as well as update the plugin with new features. So if you have any problem or feature request's hop over to the plugins thread on the forums and let me know. The project is also open sourced under the MIT license and can be found on my github.

UPDATE (JUNE 2020): This Plugin is now in maintenance mode, and is nearing end of life. I am currently working on a standalone version that will serve the same purpose, which will also be made to work with LaunchBox. The progress of that can be found here

What's New in Version Beta 2   See changelog

Released

New in This Release:

• Custom Command Line Parameters can now be specified a part of a config. A file called "cli.txt" should be placed in config directory with parameters separated by commas and/or line breaks.
  • User can now have multiple versions of PSCX2. The Title of the version that the plugin will use can now be specified in Settings.ini (Pcsx2BuildTitle).
  • Nicer handling of Absolute Paths. All Absolute paths are qualified from the drive's root and no longer reference the LaunchBox directory.
  • Configs directory can now be relative to the PCSX2 directory. This is now the default behaviour
  • No error will be shown if a non critical PCSX2 base config file is missing when downloading a config, before this crashed the plugin.
  • Custom command line parameters will now always update when wrong and/or missing information, but if all information provided is correct edits can still be made.
  • Nicer Drop Shadow on Title Text, also added text-wrap for longer titles.
  • Plugin now uses the PCSX2 Icon.
  • Major Code changes and refactor (Does not affect User).
  • Just a quick note about Updating from a previous release. I advise you first delete your Settings.ini file from the plugins directory, and let the plugin recreate it, as this version handles some of the settings slightly differently.

HOTFIX September 2020 - fix for new versions of Launchbox (11.4+), with new folder structure

HOTFIX June 2020 - fixes issue with issue with pnach files not overwriting existing files, also adds widescreen as default for remote configs

HOTFIX April 2020 - fixes issue with 7zip being moved to third party folder

• Like 23
  • Thanks 18
  • Unusual Gem 4

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

kmoney

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This plugin makes dealing with PCSX2 so much easier and is much appreciated. Thanks again for the great plugin!

Link to review
SonsofOcelot

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

This tool makes running PS2 games so much more enjoyable. Thank you guys for this great plugin ?

Link to review
EmperorFaiz

Love it! If only I knew about this plugin earlier. Now it's far much easier than remembering specific configs for specific games. Much appreciated.

• Like 1
Link to review
yougottabekittenme

Wow, this is so helpful and easy to use. Great, job friend!!

Link to review
Bunglezbawb

Amazingly helpful and useful. Possibly the best thing since sliced bread. I use it all the time.

Link to review
Areinu

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

I use it with 1.7.x nightly builds and it seems to work very well, I just need to switch every downloaded config to vulkan renderer, which is really minor compared to all the PCSX2 hassle this saves. It creates different filename for each memory card, based on game played, and also the config. Sometimes the downloaded config is not perfect but most of the time it is. It cut the time needed to get the game looking great from 30 minutes of fiddling with settings and 100 runs before getting it right (even with help of the wiki) to just 1-2 runs max, and no more than 2-3 minutes of fiddling. Great.

Link to review
CapoFantasma97

Just what I needed! Other frontends designed specifically for PCSX2 have the option to easily create custom configs for each game, but Launchbox didn't. Luckily, I found out about this plugin by browsing the web.

However, it doesn't seem to import the current PCSX2 settings, nor the game saves, when creating a new config! Very inconvenient. I'll have to find a way to import at least the memory cards, because despite they use the same default address, they're not found when playing the game through Launchbox.

Link to review
Dan Patrick

Wow. I just realized that it existed and tried it out and it's so easy. I love that I can add my own configs as well. I was a little skeptical at first but once I realized how this worked I was excited. This works so well I wish it was built in to the emulator. Now I don't need five copies of pcsx2 anymore! Thanks so much for this.

Link to review
rovert94

Works great, the built in configs are an added touch. Initially I couldn't see the menu item option at all, but I was downloading it from GitHub so make sure you grab it from this page.

Link to review
Rob Storm

Brilliant job my friend! This makes life way easier and takes the worry out of doing something wrong on my end. A 1,000 times thank you!

• Like 1
Link to review
Iskbob

Excellent plugin - saved so much time and effort!

It stopped working though when Launchbox released version 8.8 (well mine did at any rate).

Any way around this or wait until the next release?

Link to review
EazyCheeze1978

Beautiful!!! Thank you for updating this.

Link to review
Zombeaver

6 of 7 members found this review helpful 6 / 7 members

I'm biased... but this is genuinely a really great, super-useful plugin that anyone using PCSX2 should check out! :D

• Like 1
  • Game On 1
Link to review
xtreme89

10 of 12 members found this review helpful 10 / 12 members

yes hi i downloaded the pcsx2 next configurator and extracted it to plugin file in launchbox main file but when i right click on a ps2 game in launchbox the option does not appear and yes im using v 1.5 off pcsx

Link to review
Lordmonkus

4 of 5 members found this review helpful 4 / 5 members

Awesome job, so glad we have this here, makes life with PCSX2 so much easier.

Link to review
ChillPenguin

3 of 4 members found this review helpful 3 / 4 members

Love this plugin! It makes PCSX2 so much better. Thank you for your hard work!

Link to review
qupe75

· Edited by qupe75

1 of 2 members found this review helpful 1 / 2 members

This is invaluable for pcsx2 and launchbox.  It's a must download. 

I don't use many of the pre-configured settings as we all have different set-ups but the ability to save individual game ini's is invaluable with launchbox as some games need software mode, some direct3d and some opengl.  

Get it you'll thank the developer later.

Make sure you install it in the launchbox plugin folder and keep it in one folder, mined unzipped it two so move out of the one. Relaunch launchbox once in there and you'll see it at the bottom of the menu when you right click and away you go.

EDIT: Some games still require 1.4 for me so I believe this is no good for those games.  Okami is an example for me.  It is blurry with the current builds yet perfect in 1.4 

Link to review
digiwax223

1 of 3 members found this review helpful 1 / 3 members

Hope this works for me.

Link to review