LaunchBox Community Forums

BannerBox 2.1

(11 reviews)

5 Screenshots

About This File

Logo.png.7a761e9ba2294e488a6d34cade79004e.png

Welcome to Faeran's BannerBox. A horizontal banner based theme, inspired by 80s retro. This theme requires that you be running LaunchBox 11.10 or later due to its reliance on the new wheel.

The following info is now considered legacy:

Spoiler

This base theme has banners for the following systems (Some System packs will be released separately):

Spoiler

Arcade
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Jaguar CD
Atari Lynx
Atari XEGS
Bally Astrocade
Casio PV-1000
ColecoVision
Entex Adventure Vision
Fairchild Channel F
GCE Vectrex
Mattel Intellivision
NEC PC Engine
NEC TurboGrafx-16
*Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo 64DD
*Nintendo DS
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Nintendo Virtual Boy
*Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Sega Mark III
Sega Master System
Sega Saturn
Sega SG-1000
SNK Neo Geo AES
SNK Neo Geo CD
SNK Neo Geo Pocket
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
Sony Playstation
*Sony Playstation 2
*Sony PSP
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
VTech CreatiVision

*Only a small amount of banners were created for these systems

Download extra banner packs and install them into:

LAUNCHBOX\Themes\BannerBox\Images\Games\Custom Images 1

Explaination of some files:

• BannerBox.zip - The same theme that can be downloaded from within Big Box's theme manager
  • BannerBox - Base Theme - No Game Banners.zip - Same theme as above, but without any game banners. Use this if you want to create your own banners
  • BannerBox - Template - Create Your Own Banners.zip - Use this file to load into the COMMUNITY Theme Creator to create your own banner images

Learn how to create your own BannerBox Banner Images: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtK2S7Owo8Y

Download banners created by the community in this thread:

BannerBox Community Banner Thread - Platform Media - LaunchBox Community Forums (launchbox-app.com)

Looking to create your own theme? Learn how by:
Following me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
Subscribing to me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q

CREDITS
----------------------------
Theme was created by @faeran
Theme was created using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru
Theme uses some amazing artwork by Rachid Loft. Find his work at: https://rachidlotf.com/

Edited by faeran

What's New in Version 2.1   See changelog

Released

• More controllers added
  • Misc fixes with the theme
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 10

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, y2guru said:

I created a network share and launched the exe from the network and all themes developed using the creator new and old worked as if they were locally installed (slow boot up though) so it must be the way in which the NAS shares its content, what is the make and model of your NAS?

ill see if I can get one on loan and if I can then I’ll hit you up for the configuration 

Ah dagnabit! The plot thickens. Hmmm..this is the only this theme that's not working as intended (but I haven't used that many). Is it the first one to use those/any plugins? 

My NAS is a QNAP TS-453Be

3 minutes ago, matris said:

Ah dagnabit! The plot thickens. Hmmm..this is the only this theme that's not working as intended (but I haven't used that many). Is it the first one to use those/any plugins? 

My NAS is a QNAP TS-453Be

It could be one of the first yes,  what themes do you have that you have no issue with?  I’ll take a look at them in the forum and create a debug version for path name analysis 

How do I add the whole theme to the Community Team Creator to edit it? I'd like to create a fork that supports ultrawide resolutions and better works with my setup, but I can't load the theme in the theme creator to avoid starting over..

14 minutes ago, xevidroid said:

How do I add the whole theme to the Community Team Creator to edit it? I'd like to create a fork that supports ultrawide resolutions and better works with my setup, but I can't load the theme in the theme creator to avoid starting over..

@faeran  would have to release the theme project in order for you to edit it.  Having an ultrawide version would be sweet, perhaps you guys can figure something out

22 minutes ago, y2guru said:

@faeran  would have to release the theme project in order for you to edit it.  Having an ultrawide version would be sweet, perhaps you guys can figure something out

My edit would also be aimed at making the theme more generally useful for people without banners. I have mostly new games in my library, and I don't have a banner for them, so the theme just appears empty and is unusable. Swapping the banner image for a box image and moving the interface a bit would allow most people to use the theme without having to generate tons of art for newer games. 

6 hours ago, xevidroid said:

My edit would also be aimed at making the theme more generally useful for people without banners. I have mostly new games in my library, and I don't have a banner for them, so the theme just appears empty and is unusable. Swapping the banner image for a box image and moving the interface a bit would allow most people to use the theme without having to generate tons of art for newer games. 

Hey @xevidroid. Sure. Love to see what you come up with.

I'll send you a PM.

7 minutes ago, HONOXx said:

Some banner i made.

1078229031_IntertonVC4000.thumb.png.1c8223051d921b3ed58fb67a1990a38c.png977861389_MicrosoftXbox360.thumb.png.ef2c06cff2710cb0f15f563c8e8d538d.png294549357_MagnavoxOdyssey2.thumb.png.fcf8a337fa8a0bf60dd40561d13bc734.png

Nice @HONOXx. I'm sure they would appreciate it if you joined them over on this thread as well:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, y2guru said:

It could be one of the first yes,  what themes do you have that you have no issue with?  I’ll take a look at them in the forum and create a debug version for path name analysis 

I use these themes (in roughly order of preference): Colorful, Unified Redux/Refried, FutureState, CleanBG.

1 hour ago, matris said:

I use these themes (in roughly order of preference): Colorful, Unified Redux/Refried, FutureState, CleanBG.

I have another test theme for you … #2

Download, unblock zip, unzip, place in Themes Folder, open BigBox and Select MatrisTest2

Pick any platform and take a screenshot of the gameslist view ?

MatrisTest2.zip

9 minutes ago, y2guru said:

I have another test theme for you … #2

Download, unblock zip, unzip, place in Themes Folder, open BigBox and Select MatrisTest2

Pick any platform and take a screenshot of the gameslist view ?

MatrisTest2.zip 8.82 MB · 0 downloads

Done. If i'm reading correctly, appears that it can see the plugin folder...

MatrisTest2.png

9 minutes ago, matris said:

Done. If i'm reading correctly, appears that it can see the plugin folder...

MatrisTest2.png

thank you!

1 hour ago, y2guru said:

thank you!

So are you saying it's not a plugin issue? But the fact that it can't see the media folder (previous test themes) is the source of the issue?
But this is further complicated as it can see some images from the media folder.  E.g. basic white controller under playmode, favourites icon, BG.mp4 etc.

Aaaiiieeee!

40 minutes ago, matris said:

So are you saying it's not a plugin issue? But the fact that it can't see the media folder (previous test themes) is the source of the issue?
But this is further complicated as it can see some images from the media folder.  E.g. basic white controller under playmode, favourites icon, BG.mp4 etc.

Aaaiiieeee!

Wait... so you are seeing images from the media folder?

9 minutes ago, y2guru said:

Wait... so you are seeing images from the media folder?

Well yeah - i just double checked and it's only the 3 I mentioned above:
- The white controller from the 'playmode' folder. However it does not appear frequently and I noticed it's called "fallback.png". Maybe it only appears when I don't have anything in the meta data for the playmode? 
- The BG.mp4 from the 'background' folder. However it only plays when i press back and go to options - it doesnt' play as a background during the games view.
- The 3 tiny icons in the middle, I assume they come from the 'Icons' folder.

I think that's why @faeran thought it was wierd, because I get some images from the media folder, but not most of them.

49 minutes ago, matris said:

Well yeah - i just double checked and it's only the 3 I mentioned above:
- The white controller from the 'playmode' folder. However it does not appear frequently and I noticed it's called "fallback.png". Maybe it only appears when I don't have anything in the meta data for the playmode? 
- The BG.mp4 from the 'background' folder. However it only plays when i press back and go to options - it doesnt' play as a background during the games view.
- The 3 tiny icons in the middle, I assume they come from the 'Icons' folder.

I think that's why @faeran thought it was wierd, because I get some images from the media folder, but not most of them.

very odd, ok try this 3rd test

unblock MatrisTest3.zip then unzip and placed in the Themes Folder, select MatrisTest3 then exit bigbox, then reopen bigbox and select a platform and take a screenshot from the game view ?

MatrisTest3.zip

28 minutes ago, y2guru said:

very odd, ok try this 3rd test

unblock MatrisTest3.zip then unzip and placed in the Themes Folder, select MatrisTest3 then exit bigbox, then reopen bigbox and select a platform and take a screenshot from the game view ?

MatrisTest3.zip 8.82 MB · 0 downloads

Getting quick at this...

matristest3.PNG

6 minutes ago, matris said:

Getting quick at this...

matristest3.PNG

ok, now we are getting somewhere!!! I will get with Faeran to see if he can rebuild the theme using new versions of my plugins

On 4/14/2020 at 9:09 PM, Kondorito said:

I am running 10.13.

Maybe I need to force image cache. Will give it a shot later on. 

Hey, did you have any luck with this? I'm having the same issue. Many platforms have tons of missing banners, or look something like attached image. 

Running latest banner box and launch box. Did you need to clear cache or something?

bannerbox_missing_graphics.png

4 minutes ago, kal9000 said:

Hey, did you have any luck with this? I'm having the same issue. Many platforms have tons of missing banners, or look something like attached image. 

Running latest banner box and launch box. Did you need to clear cache or something?

He didnt make art for every game ever released. He did a good job with all the art he did create, but its never gonna be complete.

5 minutes ago, kal9000 said:

This just means that a banner image wasn't created for those particular games.

I created a tutorial which shows how to create banners for all your games fairly quickly.

Find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtK2S7Owo8Y

Then place the images you created in this location:

LAUNCHBOX\Themes\BannerBox\Images\Games\Custom Images 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

He didnt make art for every game ever released. He did a good job with all the art he did create, but its never gonna be complete.

oh I didn't realize that these were all static images; thought they were being build dynamically! That's too bad; looking in the 'custom images 1' folder at ".LaunchBox\Themes\BannerBox\Images\Games\Custom Images 1" I see them all there now.  Such a cool looking theme; it would be awesome if we could figure out how to generate those banners dynamically for each game.

• Like 1

I made it to the "snappier" version of sliding all the info in, and I like it.  But, is there a way to NOT play the platform video when running through the platform's auto-populated genre lists (action, role-playing, etc.)?  It sort of takes away from the genre you are looking at when you are seeing the platform video play next to it of mario, and you are looking at the shooter genre.  Also, am I seeing things, or is there a little tiny sonic animation running across the screen?  It doesn't fade away instantly when switching games, so there is this faint sonic still running across the screen.

9 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I made it to the "snappier" version of sliding all the info in, and I like it.  But, is there a way to NOT play the platform video when running through the platform's auto-populated genre lists (action, role-playing, etc.)?  It sort of takes away from the genre you are looking at when you are seeing the platform video play next to it of mario, and you are looking at the shooter genre.  Also, am I seeing things, or is there a little tiny sonic animation running across the screen?  It doesn't fade away instantly when switching games, so there is this faint sonic still running across the screen.

The way the videos work is the way Big Box is designed, and not actually a design of a particular theme.

Let's say you go into Nintendo Entertainment System and you land on the Action category, Big Box first looks for a playlist video, if it can't find one, then it defaults back to the platform video. You could have playlist specific videos, either in your general videos folder, or make them theme specific.

• If you want playlist video to play across all themes, place it in:
    • LAUNCHBOX\Videos\Playlists
  • If you want playlist video to play for a specific theme, place it in:
    • LAUNCHBOX\Themes\[theme]\Videos\Playlists

Also, you can make a playlist video specific to a platform, or have it more general, depending on the name you give it.

• Specific to a platform:
    • eg: Nintendo Entertainment System Action.mp4
  • General:
    • eg: Action.mp4