LaunchBox Community Forums

Editorial Noir - [Theme Stream] 1.1

(1 review)

3 Screenshots

About This File

Editorial Noir was built during a Theme Stream broadcast. If you are interested in creating themes, follow me on Twitch, or watch the videos later on YouTube.

A Catalog of past Theme Streams can be found on the forums here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/54760-retro-faerans-theme-stream-big-box-theme-creation/

Editorial Noir

This theme is my take on porting the exciting ES theme by chicuelo called Epic Noir.

577170721_PlatformView1.thumb.PNG.0d683e4719d3a6d065ce40ed24479502.PNG

Watch this theme being built:

Instructions

• Editorial Noir - Theme.zip - BigBox theme. Place extracted folder in your LAUNCHBOX\Themes folder
  • Editorial Noir - COMMUNITY Project files.zip - Creator Project files. Place extracted folder in your COMMUNITY\My Theme Projects folder

Credits

Original theme by chicuelo. Find it here: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/25351/epic-noir-dark-mode-theme
COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru. Find it here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2115-community-theme-creator-for-bigbox/
My Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q

What's New in Version 1.1   See changelog

Released

Updated both the theme and project files to version 1.1

• Optimized theme by changing most of the storyboard elements to begin after an active selection. This should increase the performance of the theme.
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hey @faeran, fist of all thx for all these themes you've been putting out lately.  Really great stuff, this one in particular is high on my list of must have's. I've noticed something though.  It seems like most of your recent themes seem to cause BigBox to not close properly when I exit it.  It stays running in the process list for quite a while, sometime I need to actually kill the process via task manager in order to relaunch BB.  I'm not sure if it's related to the Theme Creator, or something specific on how to create your themes.  I don't think I've noticed it with any other themes created by authors who also used the Community Theme Creator, but I am not 100% sure on that.  Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case it's an issue that anyone else is having, and it might be worth looking into.

6 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

Hey @faeran, fist of all thx for all these themes you've been putting out lately.  Really great stuff, this one in particular is high on my list of must have's. I've noticed something though.  It seems like most of your recent themes seem to cause BigBox to not close properly when I exit it.  It stays running in the process list for quite a while, sometime I need to actually kill the process via task manager in order to relaunch BB.  I'm not sure if it's related to the Theme Creator, or something specific on how to create your themes.  I don't think I've noticed it with any other themes created by authors who also used the Community Theme Creator, but I am not 100% sure on that.  Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case it's an issue that anyone else is having, and it might be worth looking into.

Thanks @CDBlue. I doubt it has something to do with how I'm creating the themes. The Creator is pretty structured in how it works.

Which themes were created in the theme creator that you feel don't have this problem? I can bring it up with y2guru and see if he can identify.

6 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

I have the exact same issue. It's been happening for the last 2-3 releases of Lauchbox. I don't think it's related to the themes, though.

10 minutes ago, faeran said:

Thanks @CDBlue. I doubt it has something to do with how I'm creating the themes. The Creator is pretty structured in how it works.

Which themes were created in the theme creator that you feel don't have this problem? I can bring it up with y2guru and see if he can identify.

Artbook and Retro Console are two that I can think of that I've tried recently that do not have this issue.  I believe this one and Banner Box did that strange behavior for me though.  Right now I'm using mostly CoverBox, and it also has no issue.

22 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

15 minutes ago, faeran said:

Hmm, this is interesting, i have just reported to Jasion in our moderator discord that i have been having a issue the last few days with Bigbox not closing correctly and that i have to kill it via task manager. Then this popped up and made me think, i have been messing with BannerBox and now this new theme the last few days, so it fits with me having the Bigbox closing issue.

I also experienced this issue but thought it was just a one time thing or something, then again I havent used Bigbox as much as I want to lately. ps It was when testing out a new version of my theme.

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

i have also noticed that LB/BB does not close properly which makes it hard to delete images unless you force close it.

@faerani, i want to create a some fan art backgrounds for a few systems, you wouldnt know what the font is on the top right corner of the current backgrounds that where made by chicuelo/nil06 over on the retropie page would you??

Edit: Think i found it with the help of What the Font, here are a few other systems if anyone wants them.

capcom play system II

capcom play system II.png

capcom play system III

capcom play system III.png

capcom play system

capcom play system.png

Sega Model 2

Sega Model 2.png

Sega Model 3

Sega Model 3.png

Edited by Mute64
  • Like 1

@CDBlue @CMOSS @neil9000 @Mr. RetroLust @Mute64

Some important notes:

• If LaunchBox or Big Box isn't closing properly, that isn't a theme issue; it's an issue with LaunchBox or Big Box.
  • The LaunchBox and Big Box processes do not immediately close after the windows disappear. This is because they still save data in the background after closing. It's important to give the processes a minute or two after closing before assuming that they're locked up and killing them, or you may end up with corrupted data.
  • That said, we fixed a number of minor issues in the closing processes for 10.14. Previous versions did have some issues there, but they should be fixed.

Please let me know if anyone is still seeing any issues with LaunchBox or Big Box closing in the 10.14 release. Remember to wait a few minutes before reporting it as an issue though.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

It's important to give the processes a minute or two after closing before assuming that they're locked up and killing them, or you may end up with corrupted data.

When this happened to me yesterday when i posted here (it wasnt the first time it had happened in the last few days) Bigbox had been closed for several hours. This isnt the cleanup and zipping of data, it simply doesnt close, period. It has started happening for me with either 10.14 or specific themes, or a combination of both. 

I will note that it doesnt happen every time, and that i only notice it when i go to open Launchbox or Bigbox and i get the warning that Bigbox is already running.

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@CDBlue @CMOSS @neil9000 @Mr. RetroLust @Mute64

Some important notes:

• If LaunchBox or Big Box isn't closing properly, that isn't a theme issue; it's an issue with LaunchBox or Big Box.
  • The LaunchBox and Big Box processes do not immediately close after the windows disappear. This is because they still save data in the background after closing. It's important to give the processes a minute or two after closing before assuming that they're locked up and killing them, or you may end up with corrupted data.
  • That said, we fixed a number of minor issues in the closing processes for 10.14. Previous versions did have some issues there, but they should be fixed.

Please let me know if anyone is still seeing any issues with LaunchBox or Big Box closing in the 10.14 release. Remember to wait a few minutes before reporting it as an issue though.

Hi Jason, as mentioned above I can report that something is still happening as of 10.14 (which I'm running)... but only with certain themes like this one, which is why I thought it might be theme (or more likely theme creator related perhaps).  I closed BigBox (running this theme) and about 5 minutes later it's still running in the background.  It's not frozen, as it does use up CPU/Mem every once in a while, but mostly it remains unchanged from this screenshot.  If I switch to another theme, such as CoverBox (as an example), when I close BB, it closes and ends the process in the background within a minute.  Let me know if you need me to turn on any logging or provide you with anything.

-CDBlue

Untitled.png

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

When this happened to me yesterday when i posted here (it wasnt the first time it had happened in the last few days) Bigbox had been closed for several hours. This isnt the cleanup and zipping of data, it simply doesnt close, period. It has started happening for me with either 10.14 or specific themes, or a combination of both. 

I will note that it doesnt happen every time, and that i only notice it when i go to open Launchbox or Bigbox and i get the warning that Bigbox is already running.

1 minute ago, CDBlue said:

Hi Jason, as mentioned above I can report that something is still happening as of 10.14 (which I'm running)... but only with certain themes like this one, which is why I thought it might be theme (or more likely theme creator related perhaps).  I closed BigBox (running this theme) and about 5 minutes later it's still running in the background.  It's not frozen, as it does use up CPU/Mem every once in a while, but mostly it remains unchanged from this screenshot.  If I switch to another theme, such as CoverBox (as an example), when I close BB, it closes and ends the process in the background within a minute.  Let me know if you need me to turn on any logging or provide you with anything.

-CDBlue

Untitled.png

The log files would be helpful in this case. Hopefully that will clue us in to what's going on.

23 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The log files would be helpful in this case. Hopefully that will clue us in to what's going on.

No problem.  I'll turn on debugging and reproduce the issue.  Do I need to wait for BB to finally close before sending you the log.... it might take a while looking as how it's going so far?

FYI, just found something interesting.  I opened LB, enabled debugging, then entered BB with this theme already selected, moved around the theme, selected different platforms, etc, then closed it.  It closed immediately as it should.  So, I then opened BB again, when into options/views, did not make any changes, then exited that and closed BB, and it's now hung up again.  Maybe the issue is related to something in the options/views?  Waiting for BB to close out properly before attaching the logs... but thought I'd mention my findings while trying to reproduce the issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

No problem.  I'll turn on debugging and reproduce the issue.  Do I need to wait for BB to finally close before sending you the log.... it might take a while looking as how it's going so far?

I'd say give it five minutes, and then it should be safe to send the file.

9 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

@Jason Carr PM sent with attached log

Interesting. We added a million and one logs to the shutdown process, and it's pretty obvious that the Chromium Embedded Framework is refusing to shut down, based on that log. So I'm just going to force kill it if that happens in the future. Should be solved for the next beta.

• Like 3

Excellent, glad the log file helped a little anyway :)  Sorry to have hijacked your thread faeran.  Keep up the great work, loving these new themes.

• Like 4

@faeran This theme is awesome. Thank you for making it.

I was thinking if it would be possible to create startup and paused themes to complete the "look" throughout Launchbox. I took a stab at some mockups. They could either use the system background or the game screenshot. I have been trying to make it myself (posted at the end) by xaml is not something I know at all, so I figured I would post and see what you think.

Pause Menu w/ System BGEN Idea - Paused - System BG.png

Exit with SS

EN Idea - Closed.png

Start with SS

EN Idea - Startup.png

Start w/ System BG

EN Idea - Startup - System BG.png

How far I have gotten with the Pause Menu

EN - How Far I Made it.jpg

Edited by Banditt

13 hours ago, Banditt said:

@faeran This theme is awesome. Thank you for making it.

I was thinking if it would be possible to create startup and paused themes to complete the "look" throughout Launchbox. I took a stab at some mockups. They could either use the system background or the game screenshot. I have been trying to make it myself (posted at the end) by xaml is not something I know at all, so I figured I would post and see what you think.

Pause Menu w/ System BGEN Idea - Paused - System BG.png

Exit with SS

EN Idea - Closed.png

Start with SS

EN Idea - Startup.png

Start w/ System BG

EN Idea - Startup - System BG.png

How far I have gotten with the Pause Menu

EN - How Far I Made it.jpg

Unfortunately I can't help with this, but I just wanted to say this looks really cool.