LaunchBox Community Forums

Vidsnap Scraper 0.4.8

(9 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk! Please read and understand Youtube's terms of service. I will not be held liable for any mis-use of any product or service.

This plugin makes use of the open source and unlicensed application, youtube-dl yt-dlp (forked from youtube-dl) to download game videos.

It first downloads videos from the link provided in the metadata from LaunchBox, skipping videos longer than a specified duration, and then searching for videos for missing games based on input search terms.

It is intended for Modern Windows games as this was my need initially. It may work on other platforms but is not well tested.

Installation Instructions:

Note:  For this plugin to work, you will need to have yt-dlp.exe (included in .zip). Extract the contents of the .zip folder and place it in your LaunchBox plugins folder.

Usage Instructions:

Select a game or multiple games, right-click and select "Download Video Snap."

Adjust the maximum duration if desired.

The "Get Missing videos" checkbox sets whether or not to search for videos of games that don't have URL's in their metadata.

The "Trim videos" checkbox sets whether or not to trim videos after it has been downloaded.

Enter desired search terms for Missing videos.

click "Start" to start the download process.

Games will download asynchronously. resuming downloads is also supported natively.

Known Issues:

probably many that I am unaware of.

Other:

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT A DEVELOPER! I know very little about C# and programming in general, thus probably wont be able to address many issues that you may face. That being said I will try and fix things were I can. I've provided the spagetti source code for anyone to modify, improve, etc. (it seems you need to unblock the forms in the "Resources" folder -> RMB->properties->unblock) 

As of now, i'm more comfortable with the usability of the plugin, however there are still probably many issues, any comments to provide insight/improvement to the code etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks to @srxz for his source of Youtube Scraper of which this is based.

@srxz @JoeViking245 @C-Beats

maikeru86

Edited by maikeru1986

What's New in Version 0.4.8   See changelog

Released

Updated yt-dlp as the [previous version was no longer working.

No other changes, hence source remains the same

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Unusual Gem 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hey,

I'm glad that someone picked up the project, ive been really busy and couldnt fix the plugins that Ive made, Thanks @maikeru86.

Would be good to post the source-code as well if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, srxz said:

Hey,

I'm glad that someone picked up the project, ive been really busy and couldnt fix the plugins that Ive made, Thanks @maikeru86.

Would be good to post the source-code as well if possible.

No problem, its a pleasure. I started with your code and not knowing anything and ended up changing quite a bit so I've kept a similar name as homage to the original.

I only posted here on suggestion, but I actaully still feel it should be tested and improved (by me or others), thats why I originally posted it in the "3rd party applications and plugind (Developement and Beta Testing)" section. I've posted the source there as well. see below:

but yeah, i'll post the source here too to get more eyes on it maybe.

• Like 2

Hi, this is still in development? It would be really helpful for the community to have a YouTube working scraper that can automatically search trailers and download them.

Hi, this is still in development? It would be really helpful for the community to have a YouTube working scraper that can automatically search trailers and download them.

I guess so. Is it not working anymore? or are you looking for more functionality

On 11/2/2021 at 1:03 PM, maikeru1986 said:

I guess so. Is it not working anymore? or are you looking for more functionality

No, unfortunately it's not working anymore. It gives me error when I try to use the One-click option (that for me is the useful one), idem for the "standard" one with the research. :(

Seems to still be working my end. It seems to be slower than it used to be🤔.

image.thumb.png.b638f6413c28fefc68cfaa6f94547a39.png        image.png.28c588ed8ba9a32f82993fc3a39fd101.png

Anyhow, are you maybe not mistaking this with "Youtube Scraper" by srxz as that was what "Vidsnap Scraper" is based off of:

Don't know, the 2017 one gives me error when I try to download via URL any video, and find nothing when I try to search a trailer or something else.
For the 2020 Scraper there's another problem, I unblocked all the files in the plugin folder and in the sub-folders, but when I start LaunchBox, the program gives me multiple errors that says "The plugin "E:\LaunchBox\Plugins\Vidsnap_Scraper\Vidsnap_Scraper\Vidsnap Scraper\obj\Release\Vidsnap_Scraper.dll" could not be loaded because Windows is preventing access to it for security reasons". I also searched for possible solution all around the web, edited the Windows local policy settings, but it didn't work... I don't know what else I can do. Maybe it's a problem of the source files? But if other users made it work maybe I'm doing something wrong.

34 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

From @maikeru1986's link above, download 'the other one'.  Then one with the underscore in the name.  "Vidsnap_Scraper v0.3.2"  (And remove the one you have with all it's subfolders)

Alright! It's actually working! (I feel so dumb...) The only problem now is the one that @maikeru1986 found. It's really slow. 🤷‍♂️

I forgot to label the one file as source/master, my bad.

As for it being slow, I seem to think so too. I recall it being much quicker. I checked with an older version because I know when I added the trimming it changed things a little, but even the older version is slow.

Or maybe its all in my head and it was always slow, but Ill definitaley investigate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maikeru1986 said:

I forgot to label the one file as source/master, my bad.

As for it being slow, I seem to think so too. I recall it being much quicker. I checked with an older version because I know when I added the trimming it changed things a little, but even the older version is slow.

Or maybe its all in my head and it was always slow, but Ill definitaley investigate.

Ahahahah! Don't worry, I used the "slow" version for ALL the evening and I almost covered all my collection. Thank you so much for realize this. I think that if you only fix the download speed this could become a "killer app" plugin for LaunchBox.

@Zazamastro I've uploaded a new version as it seems download speed was crippled in youtube-dl. not sure what the reasons are, but for me it was about a 10th my line speed. Simply switched over to yt-dlp which is a fork of youtube-dl with some extra features, and seems to saturate my line. give it a try and see if it works better for you, or let me know if there are any issues.

Edited by maikeru1986
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, maikeru1986 said:

@Zazamastro I've uploaded a new version as it seems download speed was crippled in youtube-dl. not sure what the reasons are, but for me it was about a 10th my line speed. Simply switched over to yt-dlp which is a fork of youtube-dl with some extra features, and seems to saturate my line. give it a try and see if it works better for you, or let me know if there are any issues.

OMG!!! You made it man! You made it! This is simply perfect! This guy just downloaded and trimmed the Quantum Break trailer in 2,7 seconds! Amazing! You deserve a medal! OMG thank you so much!

• Thanks 1

I must say this is by far the best plugin for Launchbox and deserves more attention.

There are three things, that would make it even better imo:

1. I don´t do a full run on a whole system because you would want to check if your keywords and timings fit sometimes and do it step by step with may 5-10 games in a row. But then, the Timings and Keywords are not saved and "Trailer" is not really my keyword of choice, I get better results by simply adding the system name + gameplay/longplay for example. It would be great, if the last search parameters would be saved.

2. A per-game Preview-Window before downloading would be nice for quality control. Once you´re satisfied, you script starts to download and shows up the next game/snap. And if you are not satisfied...

3. ...a "next suggestion" or "+/- 30 Seconds"-Button for the next best video would be nice.

Still, even without that, this plugin saves sooo much time, thank you! 😃

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, totoro said:

I must say this is by far the best plugin for Launchbox and deserves more attention.

There are three things, that would make it even better imo:

1. I don´t do a full run on a whole system because you would want to check if your keywords and timings fit sometimes and do it step by step with may 5-10 games in a row. But then, the Timings and Keywords are not saved and "Trailer" is not really my keyword of choice, I get better results by simply adding the system name + gameplay/longplay for example. It would be great, if the last search parameters would be saved.

2. A per-game Preview-Window before downloading would be nice for quality control. Once you´re satisfied, you script starts to download and shows up the next game/snap. And if you are not satisfied...

3. ...a "next suggestion" or "+/- 30 Seconds"-Button for the next best video would be nice.

Still, even without that, this plugin saves sooo much time, thank you! 😃

@totoro I thought I replied to this earlier but I don't see my post so i must've not submitted it.

Anyhow, I'm glad you like it and it's a pleasure. With regards to your suggestions:

1. I think this is a great idea, and have implemented persistent settings in version 0.4.7 which I've just uploaded. I might add a "reset to defaults" button in the future also. Please have test and see if it works ok.

2. I think this is a good idea also, but would require quite some work to do, so I can't make any promises that this would be implemented anytime soon.

3. If I do decide to implement #2 then this would be implemented at the same time.

Edited by maikeru1986
  • Thanks 1

@maikeru1986

Wow, many thanks for adding this feature!

I´ve tested it out this evening and so far it´s working like a charm. 👍

And yeah, showing up a preview window is a bigger task I guess, it´s just something that came to mind, since obviously sometimes the script will download some crap you don´t want.

Anyway, getting snaps for home computer systems with hundred if not thousands of games, which are not covered by Emumovies, is much more fun now.

Love this plugin and works like a champ. I'm having one slight issue though. Whenever I download a video with it, it always downloads at a maximum resolution of 720p. Is this a limitation of grabbing videos from Youtube? I have the best quality available option selected. I also can manually set a video for it to download by setting a path to it in the game's settings for LaunchBox. Still won't download greater than 720p even if it's pointed directly to a 1080p or higher video.

6 hours ago, necropath said:

Love this plugin and works like a champ. I'm having one slight issue though. Whenever I download a video with it, it always downloads at a maximum resolution of 720p. Is this a limitation of grabbing videos from Youtube? I have the best quality available option selected. I also can manually set a video for it to download by setting a path to it in the game's settings for LaunchBox. Still won't download greater than 720p even if it's pointed directly to a 1080p or higher video.

I will have a look in the morning (about 12hrs from nw).

edit: it seems 720p is a yt-dlp limitation yes. try downloading ffmpeg. you can download it by ticking the trim videos checkbox. if that doesnt work you can download it manually and put it in the vidsnap scraper folder.

might still not work, but definitely worth a try

Edited by maikeru1986

7 hours ago, jacobsson said:

@maikeru1986 ¡Me encanta lo que has hecho con este complemento! Me tomé la libertad de hacer algunos cambios:

• Se modificó para que yt-dlp ahora maneje la búsqueda de secciones de videos (ya no es necesario descargar el video completo)
  • Debido al cambio anterior, puede obtener imágenes de cualquier video de "reproducción prolongada" de una hora de duración en solo una fracción del tiempo.
  • Se eliminó "EndTime" y se introdujo "Duración" en su lugar
  • Algunos cambios en el esquema de nombres y refactorización
    imagen.png.23ccc76c910cbd1f31fb08caa3fee196.png

Vidsnap-Scraper-0.4.8-fuente.zip 3,66 MB · 0 descargas Vidsnap_Scraper-0.4.8.zip 82,8 kB · 1 descarga

It doesn't work. It doesn't download anything. I don't understand why you do something you haven't even tried before.

14 hours ago, Merovingio said:

It doesn't work. It doesn't download anything. I don't understand why you do something you haven't even tried before.

Sorry for the inconvenience, it's been tested a lot on my side (in fact I use it daily). The problem seem to be that yt-dlp.exe wasn't included.

Edited by jacobsson

@maikeru1986
Thanks for the great plugin, can't live with out it :)
I made an update from your source with some QoL changes, I hope you don't mind! (forgot to include yt-dlp in my former post)

• Changed so that yt-dlp now handles searching for video sections (no need to download full video anymore)
  • Due to the change above, you can get footage of any hour-long "long play"/"let's play" videos in just a fraction of the time.
  • Removed "EndTime" and introduced "Duration" in its place
  • Some naming scheme changes and refactoring

Vidsnap_Scraper_0.4.8.zip Vidsnap-Scraper-0.4.8-source.zip

Edited by jacobsson

On 12/23/2022 at 1:12 AM, Merovingio said:

dont have time to test all problems, so sometimes i just mention what i would try. i did say in the post it might not work.