LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroAchievement Badges 2.3.6

(4 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

RetroAchievement Badges

What does this plugin do?
Adds “RetroAchievement” Badges to games that support RetroAchievements.
(See complete list of games here: https://retroachievements.org/gameList.php)

Why?
Because some people wanted it.

April 24, 2023
Version 2.3.5 will be the last update for this plugin.
As of LaunchBox version 13.2 (Feb. 27, 2023), Achievement Badges are now supported. (Includes RetroAchievements, Steam and GOG achievements)
To enable: click the hamburger menu, select View, Badges, Game Attributes, Enable Achievements.

How to install the plugin:

1. Download RetroAchBadge v2.x.x.zip 
  2. UnBlock the zip file.
    1. Right click the file, select “Properties” and check the box that says ‘Unblock’ [or something along those lines]
    2. Click OK to close the Properties window
  3. Open the zip file
  4. Copy the folder “RetroAchBadge” into your “/LaunchBox/Plugins/” folder
  5. Start LaunchBox
  6. Select Tools
  7. Select RetroAchievements Badge Updater (Internet connection required)  
  8. Click Start Update and Wait for the Updater to complete.  (This may take up to 1 minute.)

Screenshot_2.0.png.15d90f614b43cba91912830a3f804b24.png

How to see the badges:

1. Start LaunchBox (not necessary if you just completed the Install - steps 1 through 9)
  2. Click BADGES
  3. Select Plugin Badges
  4. 'Check’ Enable Retroachievements

badges_2.0.png.cd87f3fd4f424a22618fc34e38eb1e03.png

How to add or remove the badge from a game:

1. Right click the game and select "RetroAchievements Badge" 

RightClick_2.0.png.61038e96b30130abf470a6b5b6759ac6.png

How to get updates for new games added to RetroAchievements:

1. In LaunchBox, Select Tools
  2. Select RetroAchievements Badge Updater (Internet connection required)

If you added or removed RetroAchievement badges for specific games, those games will remain added or removed after running the Updater.  To reset the games that have been added/removed, delete the files Added.xml and Removed.xml located in the plugins folder and rerun the Updater.

A word about Platform names:
Some of the Platform names used by RetroAchievements are different than the default names used in LaunchBox.  When using the Badge Updater, it will ‘convert’ these to the default names.

Examples:  “Mega Drive” gets changed to "Sega Genesis".  “SNES” to "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".  "Game Boy" to "Nintendo Game Boy".

This plugin will not rename any of your existing Platforms.

When checking for badges, the plugin will check your Platforms Scrape As setting as well as the Platform name.

Example: If you named your Platform "Game Boy" and Scrape As is set to "Nintendo Game Boy", badges will show for that Platform.

Platform names that get changed: 

From                                   To
"Mega Drive"                 "Sega Genesis"
"SNES"                            "Super Nintendo Entertainment System"
"Game Boy"                   "Nintendo Game Boy"
"Game Boy Advance"   "Nintendo Game Boy Advance"
"Game Boy Color"         "Nintendo Game Boy Color"
"NES"                               "Nintendo Entertainment System"
"32X"                               "Sega 32X"
"Master System"           "Sega Master System"
"PlayStation"                  "Sony Playstation"
"Game Gear"                  "Sega Game Gear"
"Virtual Boy"                  "Nintendo Virtual Boy"
"MSX"                              "Microsoft MSX"
"SG-1000"                       "Sega SG-1000"
"Saturn"                          "Sega Saturn"
"Intellivision"                  "Mattel Intellivision"
"Vectrex"                         "GCE Vectrex"
"PC-8000_8800"             "NEC PC-8801"
"PC-9800"                       "NEC PC-9801"
"PC-FX"                            "NEC PC-FX"
"Dreamcast"                   "Sega Dreamcast"
"PlayStation Portable"  "Sony PSP"
"PC Engine"                    "NEC TurboGrafx-16"

Changing the default icon:
If you wish to use a different Badge icon, replace “\LaunchBox\Images\Badges\RABadge001.png” with your own image.

Known Issues:
Game titles are taken directly from RetroAchievements and may differ (slightly or a lot) from yours. So if you have a game that is known to have achievements and the badge isn’t showing, follow all steps under How to add or remove the badge from a game:.

Updating via the Tools menu may take up to 1 minute to complete.  Though not really an 'issue' perse, but it is a "thing".  So plan your updates around refilling your water glass, grabbing a soda or whatever takes you about 60 seconds to do.

Unknown issues:
Let me know when you find them.

Designed for LaunchBox 11.3 and newer.  Major contributors to the plugin are: @jayjay

What's New in Version 2.3.6   See changelog

Released

November 6, 2023
Due to popular demand, this plugin has been revived and updated to reflect changes in RA's website design (yet, once again).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi,
Great tool, but I have a message error (see capture), since 2 or 3 LB beta release.
I have the same error message with the new LB 11.12.
I hope you can fix it.
Thx

RetroAchievement 2021-06-15 031350.png

14 hours ago, PixelDragon said:

Great tool, but I have a message error (see capture), since 2 or 3 LB beta release.
I have the same error message with the new LB 11.12.
I hope you can fix it.

Thanks for the heads up.  

I've uploaded v1.0.1 that should resolve that issue.  [I think] you should be able to just  Unblock the zip  and then copy/overwrite the 2 existing files in ../Plugins/RetroAchBadge/

Please let me know if it's still causing problems.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:58 AM, JoeViking245 said:

Thanks for the heads up.  

I've uploaded v1.0.1 that should resolve that issue.  [I think] you should be able to just  Unblock the zip  and then copy/overwrite the 2 existing files in ../Plugins/RetroAchBadge/

Please let me know if it's still causing problems.

This fixed it for me as well.  Thanks for the update!

• Game On 1

1 hour ago, Mongu said:

only those with achievements are shown

I don't think LaunchBox is setup to filter by specific badges. Though I could be wrong.  The data used for this plugin is retrieved directly from the RetroAchievements site. So it's not [directly] linked to the data LaunchBox uses for the achievements.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mongu said:

The plugin has stopped detecting games that have achievements.

I just installed the plugin with the latest LB beta and it's working here.

Have you ran the updater recently?  Do you have RetroAchievements Badges checked, to show?

11 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

I just installed the plugin with the latest LB beta and it's working here.

Have you ran the updater recently?  Do you have RetroAchievements Badges checked, to show?

Yes, it has marked the games that I imported days ago, the current ones are not marked

4 hours ago, Mongu said:

Yes, it has marked the games that I imported days ago, the current ones are not marked

Sorry. I'm not really sure what's going on.  Well, I may have an idea... But sometimes those don't always work out. ;)  I'll look at the code hopefully this week and see if I can make some adjustments.  Until then...

If it's just one Platform that this is happening in, you could try, in Windows Explorer, go to your /LaunchBox/Plugins/RetroAchBadge/RetroBadge Files/  folder and delete the subfolder for that specific Platform.  Then run the updater in LaunchBox again.

If that doesn't fix the issue, you can start fresh.  In the "RetroAchBadge" folder, delete the "RetroBadge Files" subfolder and the file "gameCount.txt".  Now run "RetroAchievements Badge Updater" from the Tools menu.  If you manually added or removed badges for individual games, you'll need to redo those.

image.png.75c23aaab9e1e08f304a4e59ad18202b.png

3 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Sorry. I'm not really sure what's going on.  Well, I may have an idea... But sometimes those don't always work out. ;)  I'll look at the code hopefully this week and see if I can make some adjustments.  Until then...

If it's just one Platform that this is happening in, you could try, in Windows Explorer, go to your /LaunchBox/Plugins/RetroAchBadge/RetroBadge Files/  folder and delete the subfolder for that specific Platform.  Then run the updater in LaunchBox again.

If that doesn't fix the issue, you can start fresh.  In the "RetroAchBadge" folder, delete the "RetroBadge Files" subfolder and the file "gameCount.txt".  Now run "RetroAchievements Badge Updater" from the Tools menu.  If you manually added or removed badges for individual games, you'll need to redo those.

image.png.75c23aaab9e1e08f304a4e59ad18202b.png

The fact is that I have created a platform with translated roms from Super Nintendo. The platform is called the "Super Nintendo T-En". The names are from No-Intro. Could that be why it doesn't work?

Update: I just checked and the plugin doesn't seem to work when you add a custom platform.

Edited by Mongu

1 hour ago, Mongu said:

I just checked and the plugin doesn't seem to work when you add a custom platform.

Correct.  You might be able to try 'fix' mentioned in the instructions.

Option 2 is to rename the folder(s) inside “/LaunchBox/Plugins/RetroAchBadge/RetroBadge Files”.  Note: This option will need to be done each time you run the Updater.

So you'd rename "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" to "Super Nintendo T-En".

Here's an alternate if your using the white badge set.

Should be named 'RABadge001.png'

RABadge001.png.55c56462186761c2ad161a7c8eacc4b8.png

Edited by Rlad
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 8:01 PM, JoeViking245 said:

Correct.  You might be able to try 'fix' mentioned in the instructions.

Option 2 is to rename the folder(s) inside “/LaunchBox/Plugins/RetroAchBadge/RetroBadge Files”.  Note: This option will need to be done each time you run the Updater.

So you'd rename "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" to "Super Nintendo T-En".

Have you verified that the plugin works again? Many games do not mark them with the badget.

Edited by Mongu

2 hours ago, Mongu said:

Have you verified that the plugin works again? Many games do not mark them with the badget.

Yes.  I tested with my Platform called Atari 2600 new and no RetroAchievement Badges appeared.   As expected.

I then went into “/LaunchBox/Plugins/RetroAchBadge/RetroBadge Files” and renamed the Atari 2600 subfolder to Atari 2600 new and all RetroAchievement Badges appeared.  As hoped.

This leads me to believe that your game Titles are not matching those from RetroAchievements.  Which is a known issue (see above).   To check this, look at a Platform_Name / Game_Title that you're having issues with.  I'll use Atari 2600 / 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe as an example.

• Go to “/LaunchBox/Plugins/RetroAchBadge/RetroBadge Files/Atari 2600
    • Is the Platform Name in LaunchBox the same as the subfolder above?
  • Inside the subfolder Atari 2600, look for a text file named "3-D Tic-Tac-Toe.txt"
    • Is the games Title the exact same as the text file (minus ".txt)?

If the games Title in LaunchBox is 3D Tic-Tac-Toe, then the RetroAchievement Badge will not show.

If the games Title in LaunchBox is 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe (Hack Version), then the RetroAchievement Badge will not show.

Hi, loving the plugin... I was using it over the last few months no problem but now receiving the "No Connection" error... I have done a fresh install but it's not helping. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2 hours ago, MD-Geist said:

Hi, loving the plugin... I was using it over the last few months no problem but now receiving the "No Connection" error... I have done a fresh install but it's not helping. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm glad you were liking it. 

It looks like sometime within the last 4 days, RetroAchievements has [pretty much] completely changed their page layout for showing all games that have achievements. 

With their site updated the way it is, this plugin is broken.

So it's not that you have "No Connection" and you need to "Check your internet connection.".  It's that the plugin can't read the 'new layout'.

Will I "fix" the plugin?  Most likely no.  Because the web page is now also paginated (50 games per page), the plugin would need to read 93 pages (4648 games [as of this writing] / 50 games per page) instead of just one.  And even then, their pages don't break the games down by Platform.  Well, it sort of does.  The games are 'broken down' by Platform.  But there's no label/header indicating which Platform 'this part of the list' is for.

If anyone has a one-page source for "All Games" that RetroAchievements supports (and gets updated) and is sorted by Platform, please share!  

Granted, their new layout may change so that it does indicate which Platform the games belong to, I'm skeptical they won't go away from the pagination.  93 (and growing) calls to a web site ain't happening.  At least not [programmed] by me.

Oh man, what a pity, I always thought the badge was great in the overview. Can understand you that the programming then fails in the worst work or the update effort gets you down.

Since I'm not very well versed in programming, where does the achievement data for the games come from (see screenshot) if necessary you can create your own badge (there's a plugin for that). Unfortunately, filtering was not possible for me until now, only a manual click into the games brought the achievements to light.

achivements.png

5 hours ago, DerSchlachter said:

where does the achievement data for the games come from (see screenshot)

The built-in LaunchBox/BigBox feature that shows the actual achievements for the respective games comes from RetroAchievements API (Application Programming Interface). 

When you select a game, LB/BB will make a call to the API for that game.  1-game. 1-call. 

It's been a while since I looked at how the API works, but I believe I'd have to make a call for each game in the selected Platform when you change Platforms (only if you want to show a badge for the games that have achievements ;)).  So if your selected Platform has 100 games, it'd have to make 100 separate API calls. Then when you switch to Arcade, on a 'minimalists' system, it'd make around 300 calls (I thing that #, in general is very conservative). 

In other words, the API works on a per-user (because you need to login to use it) and per-game basis. There is no bulk looking up by Platform via the API. 

• Like 1