LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroAchievement Badges 2.3.6

(4 reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

RetroAchievement Badges

What does this plugin do?
Adds “RetroAchievement” Badges to games that support RetroAchievements.
(See complete list of games here: https://retroachievements.org/gameList.php)

Why?
Because some people wanted it.

April 24, 2023
Version 2.3.5 will be the last update for this plugin.
As of LaunchBox version 13.2 (Feb. 27, 2023), Achievement Badges are now supported. (Includes RetroAchievements, Steam and GOG achievements)
To enable: click the hamburger menu, select View, Badges, Game Attributes, Enable Achievements.

How to install the plugin:

1. Download RetroAchBadge v2.x.x.zip 
  2. UnBlock the zip file.
    1. Right click the file, select “Properties” and check the box that says ‘Unblock’ [or something along those lines]
    2. Click OK to close the Properties window
  3. Open the zip file
  4. Copy the folder “RetroAchBadge” into your “/LaunchBox/Plugins/” folder
  5. Start LaunchBox
  6. Select Tools
  7. Select RetroAchievements Badge Updater (Internet connection required)  
  8. Click Start Update and Wait for the Updater to complete.  (This may take up to 1 minute.)

Screenshot_2.0.png.15d90f614b43cba91912830a3f804b24.png

How to see the badges:

1. Start LaunchBox (not necessary if you just completed the Install - steps 1 through 9)
  2. Click BADGES
  3. Select Plugin Badges
  4. 'Check’ Enable Retroachievements

badges_2.0.png.cd87f3fd4f424a22618fc34e38eb1e03.png

How to add or remove the badge from a game:

1. Right click the game and select "RetroAchievements Badge" 

RightClick_2.0.png.61038e96b30130abf470a6b5b6759ac6.png

How to get updates for new games added to RetroAchievements:

1. In LaunchBox, Select Tools
  2. Select RetroAchievements Badge Updater (Internet connection required)

If you added or removed RetroAchievement badges for specific games, those games will remain added or removed after running the Updater.  To reset the games that have been added/removed, delete the files Added.xml and Removed.xml located in the plugins folder and rerun the Updater.

A word about Platform names:
Some of the Platform names used by RetroAchievements are different than the default names used in LaunchBox.  When using the Badge Updater, it will ‘convert’ these to the default names.

Examples:  “Mega Drive” gets changed to "Sega Genesis".  “SNES” to "Super Nintendo Entertainment System".  "Game Boy" to "Nintendo Game Boy".

This plugin will not rename any of your existing Platforms.

When checking for badges, the plugin will check your Platforms Scrape As setting as well as the Platform name.

Example: If you named your Platform "Game Boy" and Scrape As is set to "Nintendo Game Boy", badges will show for that Platform.

Platform names that get changed: 

From                                   To
"Mega Drive"                 "Sega Genesis"
"SNES"                            "Super Nintendo Entertainment System"
"Game Boy"                   "Nintendo Game Boy"
"Game Boy Advance"   "Nintendo Game Boy Advance"
"Game Boy Color"         "Nintendo Game Boy Color"
"NES"                               "Nintendo Entertainment System"
"32X"                               "Sega 32X"
"Master System"           "Sega Master System"
"PlayStation"                  "Sony Playstation"
"Game Gear"                  "Sega Game Gear"
"Virtual Boy"                  "Nintendo Virtual Boy"
"MSX"                              "Microsoft MSX"
"SG-1000"                       "Sega SG-1000"
"Saturn"                          "Sega Saturn"
"Intellivision"                  "Mattel Intellivision"
"Vectrex"                         "GCE Vectrex"
"PC-8000_8800"             "NEC PC-8801"
"PC-9800"                       "NEC PC-9801"
"PC-FX"                            "NEC PC-FX"
"Dreamcast"                   "Sega Dreamcast"
"PlayStation Portable"  "Sony PSP"
"PC Engine"                    "NEC TurboGrafx-16"

Changing the default icon:
If you wish to use a different Badge icon, replace “\LaunchBox\Images\Badges\RABadge001.png” with your own image.

Known Issues:
Game titles are taken directly from RetroAchievements and may differ (slightly or a lot) from yours. So if you have a game that is known to have achievements and the badge isn’t showing, follow all steps under How to add or remove the badge from a game:.

Updating via the Tools menu may take up to 1 minute to complete.  Though not really an 'issue' perse, but it is a "thing".  So plan your updates around refilling your water glass, grabbing a soda or whatever takes you about 60 seconds to do.

Unknown issues:
Let me know when you find them.

Designed for LaunchBox 11.3 and newer.  Major contributors to the plugin are: @jayjay

What's New in Version 2.3.6   See changelog

Released

November 6, 2023
Due to popular demand, this plugin has been revived and updated to reflect changes in RA's website design (yet, once again).

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Might as well add a bug while I'm here, as PS1 isn't working.

AllGames.xml adds data as "Sony PlayStation" (which is technically the correct capitalization for the platform), but both the default platform name and scan-as name that LB uses is "Sony Playstation" without the capital S.

Mind either correcting the platform name or making the platform match case-insensitive? Thanks.

2 hours ago, retroNUC said:

EDIT: Never mind, managed to get it figured out pretty easily. Get a list of titles, sanitize the & symbol, add them to Added.xml and rerun the updater

I thought that had been fixed (in unofficial release v2.1.2), the issue with adding games that had an ampersand ("&") in their title.   (The "fix" would have been reflected in official release 2.2.0 as well)  

I'm guessing that "the fix" only fixed reading from their 'database', and not adding 'new' ones (with the "&" symbol in the title) to Added.xml.  I would need to look at how my team handled that, to say for sure.

Regardless, I'm glad you found an easy fix!  

1 hour ago, retroNUC said:

both the default platform name and scan-as name that LB uses is "Sony Playstation" without the capital S.

I will make accommodations for this in the next update.

Thanks for the feedback!

v2.3.0 Released

Changed "PC Engine" to "NEC TurboGrafx-16"
Changed "Sony PlayStation" to "Sony Playstation"

@retroNUC I wasn't able to reproduce the issue when adding games that had the "&" symbol and updating not re-adding them.  (Although you've probably already 'sanitized' all your games..) You can try the latest release and see if the issue still persists (if you're so inclined ;)).  If the issue is still present, please let me know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SqHd said:

@JoeViking245 Any chance you might add Fairchild Channel F and Mega Duck to your plugin? 🙃 🙏

Here's a special release just for you. ;)  (I'll add it to the main download later)  RetroAchBadge v2.3.1.zip

Although there may be an issue with Fairchild Channel F not showing badges.  Unless the game Titles in your FC platform actually do all start with "Videocart-xx:"

image.png.2865470eaac27f3819e41b7ad67660ee.png

Actually, looking at the LaunchBox Database, it appears that they are listed that way.  EXCEPT for the 1st 4 shown in the image above (missing the leading 0 (zero) before the single digit).  Simple fix!  Right-click each of those 4 games and select "RetroAchievements Badge" to add them to your personalized list. :D

• Thanks 2

You rock! Love this plugin! Thanks so much! Assuming you’re a big fan of RetroAchievements as well. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SqHd said:

You rock! Love this plugin! Thanks so much! Assuming you’re a big fan of RetroAchievements as well. 

Thanks!!  Glad you're liking it.

As far as being a "big fan", no. I'm not.  Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against them.  I just don't use or look at them at all.  In fact, I usually need to reinstall the plugin if/when someone brings up an issue that needs addressed. lol

This plugin actually started out as @jayjay's idea.  As we got into it a bit, I think he got bored and told me to finish and publish it. 😊

• Like 1

That sounds like my co-workers. lol

I guess you must enjoy the plug-in creation process then. I use a bunch of yours. My other 2 favs are the software lists import (huge time saver) and the bulk convert to chd (huge space saver). 

Anyway, thanks again for the update and your contributions to the community!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, uyesuyes said:

Plugin error:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Please download and use latest release v2.3.2.  (You can change your review rating and thank me later)

• Thanks 1

Still getting an error when using the 2.3.2 version. I tried removing it and the created XML files and putting back in just the new files but no matter what I tried I got the error message listed below after clicking "Start Update" within the plugin:

image.thumb.png.685580cb1e227cf180d5a18f3541e71a.png

Thank you for any knowledge you may have on this error!

5 hours ago, Lisolet said:

Still getting an error when using the 2.3.2 version. I tried removing it and the created XML files and putting back in just the new files but no matter what I tried I got the error message listed below after clicking "Start Update" within the plugin:

image.thumb.png.685580cb1e227cf180d5a18f3541e71a.png

Thank you for any knowledge you may have on this error!

Got the same error.

@Lisolet @Rlad  My sincere apologies.  As part of the previous fix, I updated HtmlAgilityPack.dll, but failed to include the updated file in the download.  v2.3.2a should have (better have. lol) all the correct files.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

@Lisolet @Rlad  My sincere apologies.  As part of the previous fix, I updated HtmlAgilityPack.dll, but failed to include the updated file in the download.  v2.3.2a should have (better have. lol) all the correct files.

Yeah working now 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

Hi,

I love this plugin and I love retroachievements!!!

There is a way to "translate" the allgames.xml in a playlist usable to Launchbox?

I have read fast all the post but I have not found this, sorry to bother you 

^_^

22 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

Hi,

I love this plugin and I love retroachievements!!!

There is a way to "translate" the allgames.xml in a playlist usable to Launchbox?

I have read fast all the post but I have not found this, sorry to bother you 

^_^

Thanks!  Glad you like it.

There is no automatic way to convert/translate/import the xml into a playlist.  Whether a game shows a badge for R-Achievements or not, is determined when you load a Platform.  When you change Platforms, it reanalyzes your games, compared to the xml file.

Thanks for taking the time to look through the posts before asking. :)   Five gold stars for effort.  

7 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Thanks!  Glad you like it.

There is no automatic way to convert/translate/import the xml into a playlist.  Whether a game shows a badge for R-Achievements or not, is determined when you load a Platform.  When you change Platforms, it reanalyzes your games, compared to the xml file.

Thanks for taking the time to look through the posts before asking. :)   Five gold stars for effort.  

^_^

I usually try to read before asking, most of time I dont understand if what I am reading can reply to my question in some way HAHAHAHA

Anyway, thank you for your super fast reply.

To make a playlist I should be able to code then...damn... and manually I think it is a "bit" long work...

or maybe I can find some good fellow that wants to share some work with me. But maybe is toooooooo long.

Thank you again!!!

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 12:21 AM, JoeViking245 said:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Please download and use latest release v2.3.2.  (You can change your review rating and thank me later)

Works, great. Thx.

• Like 1

@JoeViking245 Hiya, hope you are doing well... I think the introduction of the PS2 game achievements might of perhaps broken the plugin? I've tried a fresh install but with no luck... Unless I might be missing something. Thanks 🙏

1 hour ago, MD-Geist said:

@JoeViking245 Hiya, hope you are doing well... I think the introduction of the PS2 game achievements might of perhaps broken the plugin? I've tried a fresh install but with no luck... Unless I might be missing something. Thanks 🙏

Please provide me more details on how exactly the plugin is "broken"?  [Sony] PlayStation 2 (PS2) is not currently included in the list of consoles the plugin checks.  So I'm not really sure how it could have broken it. 

Or are you trying to say, now that there are achievements being created for PlayStation 2, could it please be added it to the list of consoles that the plugin checks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MD-Geist said:

@JoeViking245 Hi, sorry I should of been a bit more specific... I keep getting a error once pressing 'Start Update' that reckons " Error creating Consoles/Games list "

Fixed parsing from RA site (RA changed their sites element structure once again)
    Added Sony Playstation 2
    When update is complete, the output window will list the included consoles

• Thanks 1