LaunchBox Community Forums

Starting The Game 1.1.4

(0 reviews)

21 Screenshots

About This File

This is my first startup theme that I’ve work on. I use Viking's COLORFUL Theme Dark for my Launchbox setup and I wanted a startup theme that uses the same colours, so I made this.

Features:
Big system logo on the left side
Developers logo in the bottom right corner
Load-bar and background uses the same colour as “COLORFUL platform video set”

Install:
Unzip the “StartingTheGame-Dark.zip” to your “..\Lunchbox\StartupThemes\“ folder. In Launchbox/BigBog select StartingTheGame-Dark as your startup theme and your good to go.

Updating:
If you are using 1.0 or 1.01 please close launchbox/bigbox. Delete the startup theme and install the new one. On future release it should be fine to just extract and replace

Platforms:

Spoiler

3DO Interactive Multiplayer
Amstrad GX4000
Amstrad CPC
Android
Apple II
Apple II GS
Apple iOS
Apple Macintosh
Arcade
Atari 800 *
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Falcom *
Atari Jaguar CD
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
Atari ST
Atari XE Video Game System *
Bandai Sufami Turbo *
BBC Micro *
Benesse Pocket Challenge V2 *
Capcom Play System
Capcom Play System II
Capcom Play System III
Cave
ColecoVision
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga CD32
Commodore Amiga
Commodore Amiga 500
Commodore Amiga 600
Commodore Amiga 1200
Commodore CDTV
Daphne
Dragon 32 *
Fairchild Channel F
FM Towns *
FM Towns Marty
GCE Vectrex
Lutro *
Magnavox Odyssey 2
MAME
Mattel Intellivision
Microsoft MSX
Microsoft MSX Turbo *
Microsoft MSX2
Microsoft MSX2+
Microsoft Xbox 360
Microsoft Xbox One
Microsoft Xbox
MS-DOS Shutdown
NEC PC88 *
NEC PC98 *
NEC PC Engine
NEC PC Engine-CD
NEC PC-FX
NEC TurboGrafx-16
NEC TurboGrafx-CD
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo 64DD
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Famicom Disk System
Nintendo Famicom
Nintendo Game & Watch
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Nintendo Satellaview
Nintendo Super Game Boy
Nintendo Switch
Nintendo Virtual Boy
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Nintendo WiiWare Shutdown
Othello Multivision *
PC Engine SuperGrafx
Philips CD-i
Philips Videopac
SAM Coupé *
Sammy Atomiswave *
ScummVM *
Sega 32X
Sega 32X (PAL)
Sega Alls *
Sega CD
Sega Chihiro
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Sega Hikaru
Sega Lindbergh
Sega Master System
Sega Mega CD (JP)
Sega Mega CD (PAL)
Sega Mega Drive
Sega Naomi
Sega Naomi 2
Sega Naomi GD-Rom
Sega Nu *
Sega Saturn
Sega SG-1000
Sega Super 32X
Sega RingEdge *
Sega RingEdge 2 *
Sega RingWide *
Sega Triforce *
Sharp X1
Sharp X68000 *
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Sinclair ZX81 *
SNK Neo Geo AES
SNK Neo Geo CD
SNK Neo Geo MVS
SNK Neo Geo Pocket
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation 2
Sony Playstation 3
Sony Playstation 4
Sony Playstation Vita
Sony PocketStation
Sony PSP
Super Famicom
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (PAL)
Super Nintendo Entertainment System MSU1
Taito Type X
Taito Type X2
Texas Instruments TI-99 *
Triforce *
TRS-80 *
Watara Supervision *
Windows
Windows 3X
Windows 9X
WonderSwan Color
WonderSwan

* Uses the default colour, will be updated once it's added to the COLORFUL platform video set.

Todo:
Add more Dev logos. About 200 logos so far, so there's a long way to go.
Add more Platform unique startups.

Versions:
StartingTheGame-Dark.zip and StartingTheGame-Dark-NoLogo.zip are both meant for 16:9 screens. The NoLogo version has the clearlogo removed. And then there's the StartingTheGame-Dark-16-10, us this one if you are using a 16:10 screen.

@viking for his fantastic COLORFUL platform video set and COLORFUL bigbox theme
@Fry for helping me when I got stuck with the xaml coding
And everyone contributing to the COLORFUL platform video set

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions below.

Edited by Hazuki

What's New in Version 1.1.4   See changelog

Released

New Platforms added:
Sega Alls
Sega Hikaru
Sega Lindbergh
Sega Naomi 2
Sega Nu
Sega RingEdge
Sega RingEdge 2
Sega RingWide
Sega Triforce

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

2 hours ago, KaaMoS said:

Looks great! Many thanks!
Are you interested about building a Pause theme as well?

Thank you. Yes I plan on making a Pause theme in the same style as this. Hope to have some time to start working on it real soon

1 hour ago, viking said:

Nice ! 👍

Thank you

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soqueroeu said:

Nice!

Hey @Hazuki, what about game images? Which group of images will the system use by default?

Hi and Thanks. It uses the "Fanart - Background" and than adds the "Clear Logo" on top of it.

And the system logo on the left can be found in the folder "..\StartupThemes\StartingTheGame-Dark\Resources\SystemLogo".

Hey @Hazuki, this start theme looks really good. But thinking not everyone uses fanart images, would it be possible to disable clear logo to avoid certain redundancies?

image.thumb.png.72ff9eecabc5a5ed7d5845cfd9613115.png

And, why don't I have the platform name and the loading bar?

This theme doesn't work as expected for platforms without default names. That's right?

Edited by soqueroeu

Hi @soqueroeu

Yes I made this with fanart 16:9 in mind. I can upload a version without the clearlogo, no problem. I'll try to get it up later today.

The loadbar should be working, its based off of the Default startup theme. If you use the Default startup theme does the loadbar work?

Are your roms compressed or just plain roms? If compressed, can you start a bigger rom, say maybe a PlayStation game and see if it works.

What name are you using for your platform?

Hi @Hazuki

Thank you for your support. It will be great to have one without clear logo game version.

About the platform logo, I noticed it works when I have platform default names. In my test, the Nintendo Entertainment System platform was created as Nintendo NES, so it's loading screen shows default BigBox logo.

And, about the loading bar, I never see it. The message always appears in text only, even if I launch a PSX game or another ISO game:

image.thumb.png.2710e1d613d92df4a5585b1b06b0ad2f.png

I tested the default startup theme and what I have is text only and never a status bar. Tested with pure and compressed ISO. Nothing changes . :(

Edited by soqueroeu

@Hazuki, Nice!

Clear logo removal worked, ok. I still need to run more tests. But I realized it's not showing platform logos for Playlists. Is this intentional?
And, f
or those who don't use default names platforms, will there be any fixes?

Edited by soqueroeu

@soqueroeu @Hazuki The loading bar code from the default theme typically will only work if, for the emulator of choice, you have the option to "extract rom" on launch of a game. At least that is how Jason explained the option. I just tested this theme with a unzipped NES rom and a zipped rom through Retroarch. Without the "extract rom" option ticked the load bar does not show.

• Thanks 2

@soqueroeu So I tried renaming my Nintendo Entertainment System to Nintendo NES and this gave me the default startup, just like your screenshot.

In the "..\LaunchBox\Metadata\Platforms.xml" there's a lot of alternate platform names. I was under the impression that this solved all alternate names. Nintendo NES is in there but the startup will go to the default.

I'll look in to this and see if this can be solved for a future update.

As for Playlists, I don't have any at the moment. In this release its mainly consoles and handheld. In the next update I'll be adding the missing consoles, start adding arcade systems and looking in to playlists.

@Retro808, thanks, I was just trying that as well

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hazuki said:

@soqueroeu So I tried renaming my Nintendo Entertainment System to Nintendo NES and this gave me the default startup, just like your screenshot.

In the "..\LaunchBox\Metadata\Platforms.xml" there's a lot of alternate platform names. I was under the impression that this solved all alternate names. Nintendo NES is in there but the startup will go to the default.

I'll look in to this and see if this can be solved for a future update.

As for Playlists, I don't have any at the moment. In this release its mainly consoles and handheld. In the next update I'll be adding the missing consoles, start adding arcade systems and looking in to playlists.

@Retro808, thanks, I was just trying that as well

Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in here as i dont know code, but i dont think the alternate system names in the metadata.xml do anything at all in themes. I believe themes can tap into the "scrape as" field though, so a platform could be named anything at all, but if its scraped as the correct name (which you would assume it would be otherwise the user would have no media for these platforms) it should still be able to show the correct theme/view. As i say though someone who actually knows this stuff would need to confirm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@soqueroeu If you are using non-standard names for your platforms you should be able to change file and media names for it to work.

1. Copy the existing NES xaml and rename it Nintendo NES (Nintendo NES.xaml).

2. in the \Resources folders go into \SystemLog and \Loading folders and either rename the NES images to Nintendo NES or copy them and name the new ones Nintendo NES (Nintendo NES.png).

3. Edit the new Nintendo NES.xaml and change the image file names in lines 32 and 33 to be Nintendo NES.png.

Unfortunately since you are not using standard name you may have to do this with all platforms like that. It is hard for theme creators to accommodate the multitude of ways users might name platforms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to chime in here as i dont know code, but i dont think the alternate system names in the metadata.xml do anything at all in themes. I believe themes can tap into the "scrape as" field though, so a platform could be named anything at all, but if its scraped as the correct name (which you would assume it would be otherwise the user would have no media for these platforms) it should still be able to show the correct theme/view. As i say though someone who actually knows this stuff would need to confirm.

I think the same. I believe this is how the system should work completely. Otherwise, it would be necessary all addons for Launchbox do a search for files, to create compatibility with everything.

Edited by soqueroeu

2 hours ago, Retro808 said:

@soqueroeu If you are using non-standard names for your platforms you should be able to change file and media names for it to work.

1. Copy the existing NES xaml and rename it Nintendo NES (Nintendo NES.xaml).

2. in the \Resources folders go into \SystemLog and \Loading folders and either rename the NES images to Nintendo NES or copy them and name the new ones Nintendo NES (Nintendo NES.png).

3. Edit the new Nintendo NES.xaml and change the image file names in lines 32 and 33 to be Nintendo NES.png.

Unfortunately since you are not using standard name you may have to do this with all platforms like that. It is hard for theme creators to accommodate the multitude of ways users might name platforms.

Thanks @Retro808!
I haven't taken this test yet.
But technically, changing the paths on lines 32 and 33 in axml wouldn't be necessary, as I can point to any file I want. I believe the startup theme is looking for the Nintendo Entertainment System value a step back as the only alternative.

Edited by soqueroeu

57 minutes ago, soqueroeu said:

Thanks @Retro808!
I haven't taken this test yet.
But technically, changing the paths on lines 32 and 33 in axml wouldn't be necessary, as I can point to any file I want. I believe the startup theme is looking for the Nintendo Entertainment System value a step back as the only alternative.

Correct, technically you do not since the text value is not bound to ActiveGame.Platform it is bound directly to a path. Simply renaming the xaml to match the correct platform name would suffice. However, I have seen custom themes in BB have some hiccups so the recommendation to change was to unify the media & platform naming.

Hi guys, I did new tests by renaming filenames to match the platform name. This solved the problem. Rename files in LaunchBox\StartupThemes\StartingTheGame-Dark

For those with the same problem, just rename both files corresponding to each platform. Example:

Nintendo Entertainment System = Nintendo NES

Nintendo Entertainment System Shutdown = Nintendo NES Shutdown

All good now!

Hey @Hazuki, I think we need a white theme version now.
What do you think?

We also need more platforms. I couldn't find NEC console files

Do you have source files to share?

Edited by soqueroeu

On 9/10/2021 at 8:11 PM, neil9000 said:

The metadata.xml made naming all the files easier and as there was alt names in there, I just assumed that's what’s used. The "scrape as” sound like a good place to start and over at XAML Tips and Tricks there's tons of info and helpful people.

18 hours ago, soqueroeu said:

Hey @Hazuki, I think we need a white theme version now. What do you think?
We also need more platforms. I couldn't find NEC console files

Do you have source files to share?

I have re-drawn some of the logos from scratch and the NEC logos aren't done yet.

Source files are mainly a load of mock-ups and one psd with system logos once they are done. There’s a lode of WIP stuff in there now, so I can share them once I'm done.

As I've never used xaml before this, I'm looking in to if its possible to manipulate png colours or not from the xaml file. So before any other versions I want to get this done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hazuki said:

As I've never used xaml before this, I'm looking in to if its possible to manipulate png colours or not from the xaml file. So before any other versions I want to get this done.

Thanks!
Using color codes would be great.
With just a few slides all systems would be covered, just like the main Colorful theme currently does. Go ahead my friend!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hazuki said:

A new light version, what do you think? Any changes needed?
WIP.thumb.jpg.41a63b982df289890ef3f2584871d6ba.jpg

It looks great, friend!
Well, perhaps it's the image, but I think you could use that blue area, at the top right to add some game info (right aligned, white text i.e.).
If not possible, I'll use it anyway :D Is solid as gold.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KaaMoS said:

It looks great, friend!
Well, perhaps it's the image, but I think you could use that blue area, at the top right to add some game info (right aligned, white text i.e.).
If not possible, I'll use it anyway :D Is solid as gold.

Thanks, nice to hear that you like it.
What game info would you most like to see added?
Anything specific like Max Players, Rating?