LaunchBox Community Forums

Steamy 1.5.1

(10 reviews)

6 Screenshots

About This File

This theme requires LaunchBox 13.2 or newer

This theme is more to show off what is possible with LaunchBox theming and see where we can break the mold. I asked the question, "Could you recreate the Steam interface inside of LaunchBox?" This theme is my answer.

Changes from Default:
EVERYTHING... (no really...)

The images do a pretty good job at showing off the new features this theme provides, the basic run down is as follows:

• The theme basically has two completely different looks depending on if you are using List view or Image view
  • Image View Game Details is horizontal similar to the Steam UI and utilizes a shelf system to drop down game details, achievements, and leaderboards
  • List view utilizes a single list of games similar to the traditional side bar (the ACTUAL side bar was moved to a drop down menu)
  • List view's Game Details is full sized and takes the space that typically the image view AND details would take in our default themes

NOTE: The Game Details Panel CAN be resized, the handle for it is invisible, but is located between the Play button and where image view starts (or the rest of the details are listed in list view). This size change IS remembered so should only need to really do it once.

DISCLAIMER: It is ENTIRELY possible to "break" this theme by hiding some views via the View Menu. Hiding GameDetails or the Sidebar can make it difficult or impossible to do much within the theme and should be left on at all times.

What's New in Version 1.5.1   See changelog

Released

Fixed cloud indicator styling

• Like 29
  • Unusual Gem 9

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Next update I make to the theme I'd like to get a favorite/complete button added. Was getting low on time and shipped it without one. For now you'd have to do it via edit game window.

I was just asking for them! And a little edit button to put there togheter? It's quite annoying to use the rmb menu

This theme is a great and fresh wind for me. I always use lb because I am always adding or removing something in BB, that in the end I dont use AHAHAHAH (but I love!!!)

4 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Next update I make to the theme I'd like to get a favorite/complete button added. Was getting low on time and shipped it without one. For now you'd have to do it via edit game window.

No problem, looks great, would swapping the game info with the achievements column in list view be better so you don't have all that blank space on games without achievements?

1683325245_Clipboard1.thumb.jpg.ef76a578374caeb8c82a62c758734f1a.jpg

7 minutes ago, xevious1974 said:

I was just asking for them! And a little edit button to put there togheter? It's quite annoying to use the rmb menu

If you enable the controls view on the bottom of the screen is a pencil that opens the Edit Game window, or can press Ctrl+E to quickly open the edit window as well

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rlad said:

No problem, looks great, would swapping the game info with the achievements column in list view be better so you don't have all that blank space on games without achievements?

1683325245_Clipboard1.thumb.jpg.ef76a578374caeb8c82a62c758734f1a.jpg

There are a quite a few things there that can be displayed. Manuals/Documents, Achievements, and High Scores. I already have 4 variations between the two views and didn't really want to have to fight with a 5th. Also generally speaking in regard to UI/UX design you don't want to move items all over the place too much because it screws with the muscle memory of the user. This way details are always on the left half the screen and metadata in the middle which makes that process a tad easier. I may look into a way of doing it as there is a control I would like to play with I haven't seen used much. But no promises.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

If you enable the controls view on the bottom of the screen is a pencil that opens the Edit Game window, or can press Ctrl+E to quickly open the edit window as well

Yeahhh...

There is always something to learn! 

Thank you a lot.

Button bar also show me how many games I have...Now I know it! AHAHAHAH

Thank you again!!

• Like 1

This theme is so beautifully done and right on the spot. And it is so nice having the change to have some consistency when I swap between Launchbox and Steam.

If so and for personal preference I would find really useful having an option to keep details panel always open. It closes back every time I change for one game to another game.

Also having the chance to show the Retroachievements and Manual in the Details panel of the Images view. I find practical having all that information at a glace without having to click extra buttons.
In my case I would love to have it always open, showing the manual and the retroachievements all together with the info. That way I would use the space underneath to browse through the cartridge images.
The way the image shows.

Maybe you could expand the achievements panel to the full view by clicking in the small achievements view in the info panel with the manual I mocked up.

Steamy_Edit.jpg

Edited by MGPz12

Also and that is for sure me missing something.

Is there a way to change the platform image that shows by default. In my case now it just shows a default Launchbox artwork not related with the platform selected ( in this case SNES )

Steamy_PlatformView_01.jpg

8 minutes ago, MGPz12 said:

Is there a way to change the platform image that shows by default. In my case now it just shows a default Launchbox artwork not related with the platform selected ( in this case SNES )

No that is not a feature we support, it will be a generic image until you click on a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MGPz12 said:

Adding to what @neil9000 said. I was actually attempting to edit the theme to do just this and could not get it to work. Talked with CBeat and LB currently cannot support showing a platform background until a game is selected. He did advise we would need a plug-in to do this. Hopefully some time down the line he said he might get some time to look at building something into the LB code. For now the best you can do is change to a more custom image you want to use.

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Adding to what @neil9000 said. I was actually attempting to edit the theme to do just this and could not get it to work. Talked with CBeat and LB currently cannot support showing a platform background until a game is selected. He did advise we would need a plug-in to do this. Hopefully some time down the line he said he might get some time to look at building something into the LB code. For now the best you can do is change to a more custom image you want to use.

Thanks for that :)

Well, it is nothing dramatic to be honest. Knowing that it is a known issue and seeing how open the community when it comes to receiving feedback is what is really important. It shows how big is the will to get things better and better.

I will keep myself posted on how to play around with LaunchBox themes when the documetation about is ready down the line.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, MGPz12 said:

You can easily swap the images out though if you don't like that Rubik's Cube i now associate with missing box art. 😁

879564578_Clipboard1.thumb.jpg.17baba62b2582adccb0ecb426f53f6a5.jpg

7 hours ago, Rlad said:

You can easily swap the images out though if you don't like that Rubik's Cube i now associate with missing box art. 😁

879564578_Clipboard1.thumb.jpg.17baba62b2582adccb0ecb426f53f6a5.jpg

Oh nice!

could you plet me know how to change it. I dint realize that option was there.

10 hours ago, MGPz12 said:

Oh nice!

could you plet me know how to change it. I dint realize that option was there.

Just open the theme's folder and in the /Images folder replace the background.jpg with the one you want. You can also replace the logo.png.

9 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Just open the theme's folder and in the /Images folder replace the background.jpg with the one you want. You can also replace the logo.png.

Easy Done!
thanks for that :)

Sorry to bother
I'd like to make some changes to a playlist.
But if I RMB on a list a receive an LB error.

How I can enter the edit playlist mode?

3 hours ago, xevious1974 said:

Sorry to bother
I'd like to make some changes to a playlist.
But if I RMB on a list a receive an LB error.

How I can enter the edit playlist mode?

Are you in list view or in image view?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Are you in list view or in image view?

I was in list view.

With your question, I have switched to image view and...resolved!
Thank you... I am THE GREAT NOOB sorry

^_^

5 hours ago, xevious1974 said:

I was in list view.

With your question, I have switched to image view and...resolved!
Thank you... I am THE GREAT NOOB sorry

^_^

I only asked because I just recently found that bug as well. Next chance I get to sit down with the theme I'll see what I can do to correct that.

• Thanks 1

Great Theme, but I can only get a horrible, enlarged, blurry screenshot in the uppermost "banner" section (above the play button) whereas everyone else seems to be getting the correct image, which is either a banner or fan art. What am i doing wrong? I cant find any settings that allow me to change that image in the theme. Thanks

banner.jpg

9 hours ago, Ahztek said:

Great Theme, but I can only get a horrible, enlarged, blurry screenshot in the uppermost "banner" section (above the play button) whereas everyone else seems to be getting the correct image, which is either a banner or fan art. What am i doing wrong? I cant find any settings that allow me to change that image in the theme. Thanks

banner.jpg

That image pulls a random background image from your game. I would suggest checking your background image priorities and double check that they make sense. It almost looks like you have Box Art being used in that priority set.

15 hours ago, C-Beats said:

That image pulls a random background image from your game. I would suggest checking your background image priorities and double check that they make sense. It almost looks like you have Box Art being used in that priority set.

Omg, yep that was it. Thanks for pointing that out, I never would have guessed something so simple haha. Cheers!

Thanks for the latest update, keeping it in line with LB 12.10's new features; the new related/similar games node looks great in this theme. As I was playing around, I noticed I didn't see a release date listed for any of my games. I checked the details settings, and un-ticked and re-ticked the "Show Release Date" option, but still no luck. I see all my other selected details, like publisher, genre, rating, play count, etc - just not release date. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Edited by tycho1974

14 hours ago, tycho1974 said:

Thanks for the latest update, keeping it in line with LB 12.10's new features; the new related/similar games node looks great in this theme. As I was playing around, I noticed I didn't see a release date listed for any of my games. I checked the details settings, and un-ticked and re-ticked the "Show Release Date" option, but still no luck. I see all my other selected details, like publisher, genre, rating, play count, etc - just not release date. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks for letting me know. It shows in Grid view but I don't see it when in list. I have some other corrections I plan to make today and release a new version. I'll add this to the list of things to look into