LaunchBox Community Forums

Rename Media Images/Videos as Rom Name or Game Name Format 2.0.0

(4 reviews)

4 Screenshots

About This File

A plugin to allow you to switch between ROM name format and Game name format for your media files.

Installation:

1. Download RenameMediaToRomNames.dll to your PC.
  2. Close LaunchBox/BigBox and copy the dll file to your LaunchBox/Plugins directory.
  3. It is highly recommended that you make a backup of your LaunchBox/Images and LaunchBox/Videos folders prior to using this plugin.

Renaming game media for entire platforms:

1. Select "Rename Media To ROM or Game Names" from the Tools dropdown in LaunchBox.

2. Select the platform (or platforms) whose game media you want to rename.

3. Choose which format you want to rename the media to (ROM name format or Game name format).

4. Click Start.

Renaming media for individual games:

1. In LaunchBox, select the game or multiple games whose media you want to rename.

2. Right click and select "Rename Media To ROM or Game Names" from the game menu.

3. Choose which format you want to rename the media to (ROM name format or Game name format).

4. Click Start.

Renaming  manuals: (new in version 2.0

To rename game manuals, click the "Include Game Manuals" checkbox prior to hitting the Start button.

FAQs:

Q. Why would anyone want to use this?

A. I actually don't know, but I wrote it because some people on the forums requested it. So if you find this plugin useful please let us know why in the comments 😄.

Edited by superrob3000

What's New in Version 2.0.0   See changelog

Released

- Added support for renaming game manuals.

- Some improvements for media matching.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 7

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@superrob3000 I'm not sure if it is possible but could there be an option to select a folder of images outside LB (on the desktop for instance) and rename them from rom to DB name? Scenario: I'm also working with images for games that I don't have installed in LB.

18 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

@superrob3000 I'm not sure if it is possible but could there be an option to select a folder of images outside LB (on the desktop for instance) and rename them from rom to DB name? Scenario: I'm also working with images for games that I don't have installed in LB.

No, if the media files have not been associated with any games in LB, then the plugin will not have enough info to rename them.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, superrob3000 said:

No, if the media files have not been associated with any games in LB, then the plugin will not have enough info to rename them.

Ah ok, i'll use a fake rom set for that then, thanks :)

Wonderfull tool to clean up Media! Thanky for your Work. For test purposes I renamed my graphics of the 3Do platform with your tool. Then I used the Media Cleanup tool from LB, so I was able to delete about 230MB of unnecessary data, great. When checking the remaining data, I noticed that all graphics for a title with the ' in the name are completely deleted. For example, Crash 'n Burn. Can anyone understand that as well? The Crash 'n Burn data is still available in my backup folder.

20 minutes ago, DerSchlachter said:

I noticed that all graphics for a title with the ' in the name are completely deleted. For example, Crash 'n Burn. Can anyone understand that as well?

@DerSchlachter Interesting, I just did some testing with Crash'n Burn and I see the same thing. My plugin treats ' as a special character and converts sequences of special chars to an underscore to match what LaunchBox does. However it looks like that's only true for game name format. For ROM names Launchbox is expecting the ' characters in the filename when in ROM name format. That's why the media cleanup tool removes them after doing the conversion.  I'll do a bit more testing and put out a new version with that issue fixed.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:16 AM, superrob3000 said:

The bug with single quotes in ROM names has been fixed in v1.0.4.

Yes, you were quick again! I've been testing a few platforms for the last two days. The conversion went smoothly, mega! Another great plugin from you! Many thanks for your time and effort!

• Like 1

I want to confirm that this plugin worked for me for almost all tested platforms without any problem (More than 100).

I just found a problem on Arcade platform (MAME), where i get this error constantly:

470053994_Capturadepantalla2023-05-08121646.thumb.png.59ca2650e0f5fddee37b2a99e1afdc97.png

I tried to remove all Player's Edge Plus media, but got the same result.

I accept the error, but it apears over and over again (about 20-30 times each time), and then after  processing more files, appears again.

4 hours ago, ci2own said:

I want to confirm that this plugin worked for me for almost all tested platforms without any problem (More than 100).

I just found a problem on Arcade platform (MAME), where i get this error constantly:

470053994_Capturadepantalla2023-05-08121646.thumb.png.59ca2650e0f5fddee37b2a99e1afdc97.png

I tried to remove all Player's Edge Plus media, but got the same result.

I accept the error, but it apears over and over again (about 20-30 times each time), and then after  processing more files, appears again.

Can you send me the log file that it generated (LaunchBox/Logs/RenameLog.txt)?

57 minutes ago, superrob3000 said:

Can you send me the log file that it generated (LaunchBox/Logs/RenameLog.txt)?

Sure!

They were a bunch of games named the same "Player's Edge Plus". 

I deleted all from the playlist and it renamed the rest of the files without any problem. There must be a problem with that specific game name.

RenameLog.zip

Edited by ci2own

It seems it doesn't rename Atari Lynx "A.P.B." game. either.

I attach you the log just in case it helps.

Does this plugin also rename new media like Spines, Box Full, etc.?

image.thumb.png.9b44df81ec5d9c476749722ceba28dde.png

RenameLog.zip

Is it possible to match games with bezels?. Bezels are not in that location but maybe adding an option to chose the directory from which to rename/match?

Great plugin man!! Life saver on this one. Only issue I've noticed is renaming arcade media. Say for instance "005-01" it wont rename it. Guessing its cause its the same name as 005.zip? Other than that hiccup you've saved me and others countless hours. Thank you 🎉

Just looking for something like this!! Thank you!! Can someone explain to me why launchbox doesn't give to the media files the same name as the roms files?

Is this project open source?   I wonder if I could contribute a feature to add symbolic links that would allow emulationstation to use media downloaded in Launchbox.

Thanks for this, LaunchBox helped me to export the working roms from a 80gb MAME 244 romlist - cutting it down to 11 gb! Now there is room on our drives for 30 gb in CHD files. We use Maximus Arcade as a front end, so renaming the graphic files that LaunchBox downloads will let us use those in Maximus Arcade (hopefully) - although the file sizes of those are pretty big too, does anyone have a good jpg shrink utility?

Thank you very much for your updates my friend cheers. Thank you for your hard work and sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks for yet another amazing plugin! Top notch just like the ThirdScreen plugins! I reckon  the recent development work you spent on these renaming plugins probably paused the ThirdScreen plugins, definitely looking forward for more amazing updates or new plugins you bring to the community to enhance LB/BB experience :D