LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox 4.02

(27 reviews)

56 Screenshots

About This File

The CoverBox project is one where my goal is to recreate retro console's boxart as a BigBox Theme.

Each theme is designed for 1080p.

P.S. I created graphic assets for the star ratings. Please feel free to use them in your theme.

With the release of CoverBox 4.0, the theme has been completely ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. I now included the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files that you can use to load into the CTC to make any edits that you'd like. Please follow these instructions to do so:

• Make sure you already have a copy of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and you have it set up (link below)
  • Download both the Theme files and COMMUNITY Theme Creator files
  • Extract the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files into your COMMUNITY Theme Creator\My Theme Projects folder (don't forget to right click the archive, go into properties, and unblock the file)
  • Open the Theme files zip, go into the Fonts folder and install all the fonts in there.
  • Open the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, you should now find it in the dropdown list of themes

Installation Instructions

1. Download the CoverBox - Theme Files.zip file.
  2. Right click the file, go to properties and make sure to unblock the file
  3. Open the zip file and place the folder into the LaunchBox\Themes folder
  4. Select the CoverBox theme in BigBox

CoverBox Images

List of Supported Platforms

Spoiler
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • ColecoVision
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Super Nintendo ENtertainment System
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • Nintendo Game Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mark III
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • SNK Neo Geo AES
  • Sony PlayStation
  • Sony PlayStation 2
  • Arcade
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • NEC PC Engine
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo Pokemon Mini
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Sony PSP
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Windows
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • WonderSwan
  • WonderSwan Color
  • GCE Vectrex
  • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

Thanks

What's New in Version 4.02   See changelog

Released

• Text List With Details - Platform videos and platform images should be the same width
  • Text List With Details - Animation has been added to the platform box images
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 15
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'm getting a black background when scrolling through consoles. Isn't there supposed to be background images?

BigBoxBlank.jpg

10 hours ago, AppyPie said:

I'm getting a black background when scrolling through consoles. Isn't there supposed to be background images?

BigBoxBlank.jpg

Videos, in launch box (Not big box) you'll want to go to Tools>Download>platform/Playlist/Category theme videos and choose the ones you want (You can preview them with the preview button when you've selected a video from the dropdown).

Edited by Latch
  • Like 1

Ok I figured it out, to get the main platform select view, you go to Options>Views>Platform List View and select Text List With Details

Some other issues I'm having:
3DO platform box art showing the _Default coverbox image, though the image file does exist and is in the right folder.
All platform box art fades out after a few seconds leaving a blank space.

Platform themes that use multiple screenshot files showing the same screenshot:
e.x. DS and 3DS showing the same screenshot on the left and right inside the console screen. (Console screen should should show title screen)
NES showing same image in little tv screen as bigger image on the right (which I'd prefer to show the cart).

And yes, I have multiple images and they're in the right folders.

bigbox1.jpg

bigbox2.jpg

bigbox3.jpg

bigbox4.jpg

bigbox5.jpg

On 6/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, AppyPie said:

Ok I figured it out, to get the main platform select view, you go to Options>Views>Platform List View and select Text List With Details

Some other issues I'm having:
3DO platform box art showing the _Default coverbox image, though the image file does exist and is in the right folder.
All platform box art fades out after a few seconds leaving a blank space.

Platform themes that use multiple screenshot files showing the same screenshot:
e.x. DS and 3DS showing the same screenshot on the left and right inside the console screen. (Console screen should should show title screen)
NES showing same image in little tv screen as bigger image on the right (which I'd prefer to show the cart).

And yes, I have multiple images and they're in the right folders.

bigbox1.jpg

bigbox2.jpg

bigbox3.jpg

bigbox4.jpg

bigbox5.jpg

It looks like most of what you are seeing here is because your build has no videos.

At least for Platform videos you can solve this in LaunchBox by going into Tools > Download > Platform/Playlist/Category Theme Videos... and downloading yourself some.

Without game videos, the video element will try and fall back to showing a screenshot or background image instead of showing a blank space. This is essentially what you are seeing happen.

@faeran Hiya mate, I use this theme for BigBox platforms and most of them are teriffic. Only issue I have is with the DS and 3DS themes. I was just thinking cos I came across another BigBox Theme called 'GameRoom' by @BMovieBen and it has a DS and 3DS theme that splits up the top and bottom half of the video snaps and it works flawlessly.

Appears here for a split second but I reckon doing that in the CoverBox DS/3DS themes would look great. Just a suggestion tho. Cheers.

Edited by Madhead

1 minute ago, Madhead said:

@faeran Hiya mate, I use this theme for BigBox platforms and most of them are teriffic. Only issue I have is with the DS and 3DS themes. I was just thinking cos I came across another BigBox Theme called 'GameRoom' by @BMovieBen and it has a DS and 3DS theme that splits up the top and bottom half of the video snaps and it works flawlessly.

Appears here for a split second but I reckon that doing that in the CoverBox DS/3DS themes would look great. Just a suggestion tho. Cheers.

Just an FYI faeran released the Community Theme Creator files for this theme which allows any user to edit the theme to their liking. 

On 6/13/2023 at 7:57 PM, Retro808 said:

Just an FYI faeran released the Community Theme Creator files for this theme which allows any user to edit the theme to their liking. 

Thanks for that, I didn't realize the source files for this theme were available for the creator. I've been tinkering with it and have had problems with the theme creator overwriting themes and breaking them. I tried adding a PC Engine CD theme to my CoverBox setup. I designed the background and Splash Logo, loaded the regular PC Engine config and just replaced the background and clear logo with the PC Engine CD ones and it all looked like it was working inside the theme editor. I was hoping there was a 'save as' function where i'd just name it PC Engine CD instead of overwriting the regular PC Engine view. Cos that would make creating new views much quicker than having to do everything from scratch.

Is it actually possible to edit one view and create a new config from that one rather than starting again? Cheers.

Edited by Madhead

How to leave the Categories page as the home page (which has the items Consoles, Portables and etc.)? I change it in the Big Box but, after I log out and log back in, it goes back to the Platforms screen as the home screen.

Thanks for the theme!

Edited by Hektormaru

7 minutes ago, Hektormaru said:

How to leave the Categories page as the home page (which has the items Consoles, Portables and etc.)? I change it in the Big Box but, after I log out and log back in, it goes back to the Platforms screen as the home screen.

Thanks for the theme!

By change it in BB do you mean you changed the "Default Startup View" setting in BB to "Platform Categories" located in >Setting >Options >Views?

• Unusual Gem 1

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

By change it in BB do you mean you changed the "Default Startup View" setting in BB to "Platform Categories" located in >Setting >Options >Views?

Thanks!!

is there any way someone can add the ps3 and xbox 360 to the themes? I can make the art, I just need someone to script it in, it's a win win for everyone

Edited by Durty101

Hi! Love the theme/. Getting an error message on it, though...not sure how to parse it save for it mentioning Coverbox. Any idea what's going on with this?

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     Big Box
Version: 13.15
Theme:   CoverBox
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void InvokeProperty(System.String)
Source:  BigBox

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.FiltersViewModelBase.InvokeProperty(String value)
   at RegistryPolicy.ManageBridge(Object , String value, RegistryPolicy )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.FiltersViewModelBase.RefreshGameImages()
   at RulesProducer.ManageBridge(Object , RulesProducer )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.NavigationManager.Back()
   at ServicePublisher.ManageBridge(Object , ServicePublisher )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.Back()
   at AttributePolicy.ManageBridge(Object , AttributePolicy )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.CoverFlowWithDetailsGamesViewModel.OnEscape(Boolean held)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.NavigationManager.OnEscape(Boolean held)
   at ParamPublisher.ManageBridge(Object , Boolean held, ParamPublisher )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.OnEscape()
   at ImporterPublisher.ManageBridge(Object , ImporterPublisher )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.ViewModels.MainViewModel.HandleKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
   at InstanceInstance.ManageBridge(Object , KeyEventArgs e, InstanceInstance )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Views.MainView.DefineParameter(Object param, KeyEventArgs result)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.CriticalTranslateAccelerator(MSG& msg, ModifierKeys modifiers)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.OnPreprocessMessage(Object param)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

6:32:19 PM Exception"