LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox 4.02

(27 reviews)

56 Screenshots

About This File

The CoverBox project is one where my goal is to recreate retro console's boxart as a BigBox Theme.

Each theme is designed for 1080p.

P.S. I created graphic assets for the star ratings. Please feel free to use them in your theme.

With the release of CoverBox 4.0, the theme has been completely ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. I now included the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files that you can use to load into the CTC to make any edits that you'd like. Please follow these instructions to do so:

• Make sure you already have a copy of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and you have it set up (link below)
  • Download both the Theme files and COMMUNITY Theme Creator files
  • Extract the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files into your COMMUNITY Theme Creator\My Theme Projects folder (don't forget to right click the archive, go into properties, and unblock the file)
  • Open the Theme files zip, go into the Fonts folder and install all the fonts in there.
  • Open the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, you should now find it in the dropdown list of themes

Installation Instructions

1. Download the CoverBox - Theme Files.zip file.
  2. Right click the file, go to properties and make sure to unblock the file
  3. Open the zip file and place the folder into the LaunchBox\Themes folder
  4. Select the CoverBox theme in BigBox

CoverBox Images

List of Supported Platforms

Spoiler
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • ColecoVision
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Super Nintendo ENtertainment System
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • Nintendo Game Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mark III
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • SNK Neo Geo AES
  • Sony PlayStation
  • Sony PlayStation 2
  • Arcade
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • NEC PC Engine
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo Pokemon Mini
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Sony PSP
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Windows
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • WonderSwan
  • WonderSwan Color
  • GCE Vectrex
  • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

Thanks

What's New in Version - 20 System   See changelog

Released

November 10, 2018

A bunch of the Sega themes have been updated to include all the new features, including centered game lists, scanlines, splash pages and metadata backgrounds. Each theme will also come in 2 versions. The first versions include the game list, game box and cart/disc animation, while the second versions keep the game list in the forefront for use with game options.

Affected themes include:

• CoverBox - 32X (version 1.1)
  • CoverBox - Dreamcast (version 1.1)
  • CoverBox - Genesis Red (version 1.1)
  • CoverBox - Mega Drive Blue (version 1.2)
  • CoverBox - Sega CD (version 1.2)
  • CoverBox - Sega Saturn (version 1.2)

This update also includes a new theme: CoverBox - Game Gear. Enjoy!

• Like 48
  • Thanks 15
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

arcan3kn1ght

4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

I love these platform themes!!!!  Will be checking in periodically for more of them!

• Like 1
Link to review
PurpleTentacle

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

This is my favorite theme because it nails what I look for most in a theme (beyond necessities like proper formatting), which is capturing the aesthetic of each console/platform/system. That, to me, is what makes LaunchBox/BigBox stand out most from simply using an emulator by itself. I always enjoyed the aesthetic choices various consoles made to distinguish themselves from each other, and CoverBox recreates this, making the overall experience of going through your games more immersive. The only downsides are that I wish more of the platforms had view options such as listing the info text, and of course, not every platform is covered. That being said, this is true with most themes that put so much attention to detail of individual systems, so it's completely understandable that not every console is included. A simple enough solution is to augment it with another theme for the platforms its missing. For instance, I use Retrotastic for Colecovision & Tubro Graphx 16. That keeps the overall theme of capturing the art/design of the consoles quite well. Overall, highly, highly recommended!

Link to review
whoozwah

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Possibly the cleanest and most visually pleasing and well organized set of themes on the site imo. So glad to be able to use these. Makes the experience that much better!

• Like 2
Link to review
Sebiinator

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

This is so well designed.

No doubt this is one of the best Themes on this site. 

The individual platform visuals are TOP TIER

Thank you ! 

• Thanks 1
Link to review
tycho

Best theme I've seen so far. The level of polish in here is incredible.

Link to review
illegalhugs

· Edited by illegalhugs

Has some bugs and quirks, but otherwise pleasing to the eye.

BEWARE of version of Launchbox and iteration of Coverbox. Matching accordingly.

CoverBox 3.0 Screenshot.png

Response from the author:

Hi @illegalhugs. Sounds like you received the answer to your question in a different area, but just in case someone is reading this in the future, I will answer here. This theme requires LaunchBox version 9.4 or above. Before this version, it was not possible to create a theme like this. The disclaimer in the theme's description is now updated to be more clear. Sorry for any confusion.

Link to review
JCSRT05

The individual system themes really add a nice touch to the overall feel and give a sense of uniqueness to my overall setup. I'm pretty confident these themes will be the default going forward and would love to see more systems supported in the future. Seriously, well done work and thanks for the contribution!

Link to review
RogerioX

The nes one sold me straight away. It's super nostalgic. I don't know why the black sleeve makes me so nostalgic but it does. I now use all of these as my main. If you could do sony ones, I'd really appreciate it. 

There is  problem I did notice. not sure if there is a way around this but on the ones that hide the game list to show the box art, it does this even after you've chosen the game. the worst part is that it doesn't go away if you're picking options within the specific game menu. so it means you have to do menu stuff pretty fast or constantly change the theme if you want to place a game in favorite or add it to a list.
This issue does make me want to not use the specific ones that have this feature though. but beyond that, these are all very nostalgic themes.

• Like 2
Link to review
Ultra God Azgorath

· Edited by Azgorath

What I love most about these themes is that the game details option doesn't change the game view. I haven't seen any other themes integrate the game details into the game view like this before.

Game ListUntitled.thumb.png.6c1e92aaaf87569859e1e1b24388b4ca.png

Game DetailsUntitled2.thumb.png.ae12279e62bddef6b4b30730ad467b7e.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to review
dig311dug

Incredible!

Great potential!!! woooo:D

• Like 2
Link to review
Nyny77

Very great work sir @faeran , but I do not understand, the stars are not displayed in big box.

I have yet updated the metadata in launchbox...

I love the idea !

thanks

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 2
Link to review
Mithrot

2 of 3 members found this review helpful 2 / 3 members

One of the best theming projects on the site, next to Emulation Station and the GPD Win theme. However the major criticism I have that stops this collection from being ideal is all the inconsistencies across the themes. What I mean is things like:

• PS1 theme has a scanline effect on the videos (which I love), but not the others.
  • Sega Saturn theme features the covers/discs being spun around after X amount of time (which I hate), but you don't have a choice to disable this if you don't want it.
  • Following this, the N64 theme doesn't seem to rotate covers/carts at all while the PS1 theme gives you a choice.
  • Sega Saturn theme puts clear logos at the bottom for some reason.
  • Etc

All these inconsistencies just makes each theme stand out in a bad way, beyond just the cover art. I believe it's in the author's best interest to sit down and decide what exactly he/she wants for every theme in the project and apply it equally across all themes. Otherwise, this is fantastic work and I hope to see more platforms added soon.

4/5

Link to review
BHazard

My favorite theme! Nostalgic and clean visual presentation. Love it!

Link to review
Cnells2000

Great Theme! Do you have other platforms coming soon? Xbox 360, ps3, teknoparrot ,Dos, etc?

Nothing cooking in the immediate future, but you never know. There will always be more platforms I can add to it in the future.

• Thanks 1
Link to review
Qbertzelious

The individual views för the different platforms are amazing! And faeran just released the files to use in Community Theme Creator so I can implement it in my own theme. You guys are simply amazing!

• Thanks 1
Link to review
2phenix9

· Edited by 2phenix9

@faeran i know your a busy guy with everything your doing and thankyou so so so much for everything. just a humble request. is there any chance we could get just a little bit more love for this theme and make the last few missing systems. i myself LOVE this theme, just shame its missing nintendo switch, GoG, PSN and a couple others :D would love to see this be a completed theme :D thankyou for your amazing work

Thanks @2phenix9.

I should really speed up the port to the CTC, as there's some extra systems that I've already created in there. Just note that making this theme "complete" is a very subjective thing. Someone's complete is another's incomplete.

Link to review
3nky

Surement l'un des meilleurs, bien qu'encore inachevé, c'est propre et fidèle au système qu'il émule.

à suivre ...

Link to review
romain69

Perfect and nice looking theme, I'm loving it.

Work great on 4:3 screen even if not filling the entire screen space.

That would be great to make a specific resized theme to fit entire screen in 4:3.

Link to review
minipierre

These look slick, thank you so much.

My only comment for minor improvement would be the game selection text on the Master System theme is really difficult to read.  Otherwise, these are perfect!

Would love to see Game Gear

Link to review
PleaseCarry

Amazing. Really love the way it makes the whole experience feel. Makes you appreciate how many consoles you have in one spot.

Link to review

These are AMAZING themes!! WOW! Turned my setup into a beautiful nostalgia temple. Would especially love to see Playstation, PS2, Atari 2600 in the future :) Thank you SO much for creating and sharing these.

• Like 1
Link to review