LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

bd00 said
Jason Carr said
pogowolf said Observations, Thoughts, Comments, and Ideas: Version: Launchbox - 3.3 - Beta 1 General: 1) Need a test script to explain what we should see. If we don't know there should be a list of Platforms when you import your first game, how would we know it's an error? 2) Need pages with screen shots as walkthroughs along with the how to.. movies. I know, personally, I hate "how to" videos because I need to wade though the movie to get to the information I want unstead of being able to skim a page of text/screen shots. ??
Agreed, test scripts would be nice, I'm sure. I try to explain what's necessary for testing but of course sometimes I don't explain enough. And better documentation is planned as well, of course. I have to pick and choose my battles for the moment though, and for the most part actual development has been the priority (and probably will be for a long while). So at this point I'm shying away from much else that takes too much time.
Regarding a wiki or faq's or walkthroughs or whatever, have you considered outsourcing in to the community? Not to a single person, but rather create a list of the things you want documenting, and ask users to choose one and create the documentation for it. What I mean is break it down into digestible "bitesize" chunks, list what is needed and users can pick something from the list and create a walkthrough or a how-to for it. You (or a user) can then take all these user created documents and organize them in a logical and uniform manner on your site. Basically a Wiki, but use the forum to advertise what is needed and allow users to start creating the documentation and posting it here. List everything twice, one for written documentation with screenshots and one for a video version. Even if you don't get it up right away on the site, at least a bulk of the documentation will be here ready for when you are and will also be available for users who need it now (via the thread). You could even use this list as a contents page with links to each specific post, this would suffice until the site wiki is created. Example: Documentation needed:
Adding a game. (Doc) Adding a game. (Video) [Done!] Importing Steam Games. (Doc) - Thanks pogowolf! Importing Steam Games. (Video) Changing the background image. (Doc) Changing the background image. (Video) [Done!] Importing ROMs. (Doc) - Thanks SentaiBrad! [Done!] Importing ROMs. (Video) - Thanks SentaiBrad! [Outdated] Adding additional apps. (Docs) - Thanks nmc! (Needs Updating!) [Done!] Adding additional apps. (Video) - Thanks Vinicius256! etc. (Doc) etc. (Video) etc. (Doc) etc. (Video) Each completed item can be turned into a link and pointed at the relevant post in the thread.
The users can do this however they want, for example, in a post in the thread or create a word document or create a web page, etc. This way anyone can help out regardless of their technical capabilities. All the documentation will be organized and ported later anyway. Although it might be better to keep everything as forum posts period. Maybe keep everything inside spoiler tags except the title of the documentation created, just to keep things tidy. The main post will need to be maintained and updated regularly, but it shouldn't be too much work.
Wait... did I just get volunteered. xD I can pretty much do what ever is needed actually. I'm already trying to monitor the forums best I can. :P Videos are literally my forte how ever.

SentaiBrad said... Wait... did I just get volunteered. xD I can pretty much do what ever is needed actually. I'm already trying to monitor the forums best I can. :P Videos are literally my forte how ever.
Wow you read quick! Lol. Please disregard my last edit! There we go again, posting at the same time! Kiss Or, if you want to take the lead on the videos, I will happily maintain the thread to reduce your workload.

bd00 said
SentaiBrad said... Wait... did I just get volunteered. xD I can pretty much do what ever is needed actually. I'm already trying to monitor the forums best I can. :P Videos are literally my forte how ever.
Wow you read quick! Lol. Please disregard my last edit! There we go again, posting at the same time! Kiss Or, if you want to take the lead on the videos, I will happily maintain the thread to reduce your workload.
I'll be happy to do videos. And yea I am trying to keep a handle on the forums. I am subscribed to literally everything, even new threads automatically. It doesn't pop up over all of my games.... like Diablo 3 which I am playing right this second, but hey.

bd00 said Yeah that would work I guess. I would consider keeping everything under one roof though, meaning on the actual LaunchBox site. It's your call I guess.
Well no its Jason's call ultimately. This way though there is a centralized place for how to do things. You can create pages for any topic, you can add images and videos where you need them. I think its perfect. You said Wiki and I literally thought... why not just make one. Forums are awesome but they're not exactly the greatest with organization.

SentaiBrad said
bd00 said Yeah that would work I guess. I would consider keeping everything under one roof though, meaning on the actual LaunchBox site. It's your call I guess.
Well no its Jason's call ultimately. This way though there is a centralized place for how to do things. You can create pages for any topic, you can add images and videos where you need them. I think its perfect. You said Wiki and I literally thought... why not just make one. Forums are awesome but they're not exactly the greatest with organization.
Yeah I realize that, but if you read my post again I was suggesting the forums only as somewhere to start, somewhere to start gathering the information, so it is there when Jason adds an in-house wiki/faq/troubleshooting/whatever area to the site. However, I am by no means right, I just like everything in a singular place, it was just a suggestion. Many, many people will disagree with me I am sure. If Jason give you the go ahead to create a wiki page, then he obviously has no problem with it, so there is no point in... this. So carry on, don't mind me. Get started on those videos and add a list of what you want other users to add.

bd00 said
SentaiBrad said
Yeah I realize that, but if you read my post again I was suggesting the forums only as somewhere to start, somewhere to start gathering the information, so it is there when Jason adds an in-house wiki/faq/troubleshooting/whatever area to the site. However, I am by no means right, I just like everything in a singular place, it was just a suggestion. Many, many people will disagree with me I am sure. If Jason give you the go ahead to create a wiki page, then he obviously has no problem with it, so there is no point in... this. So carry on, don't mind me. Get started on those videos and add a list of what you want other users to add.
No no, You said Wiki and I just figured it was easy to make one, get peoples opinions. By no means is it THE solution, its a Solution. It's also not permanent. It can be changed or removed. It was just a simple alternative to have a place that holds the tutorials and data for the site. Again, a solution not the solution. I didn't make it to be the end all to be all. Just to see the thoughts of the users. It can be what ever anyone wants.

I don't know why you feel the need to carry this on. I made a suggestion, basically, get people in the forums to start creating content. That is the main goal. I then suggested doing this in the forums where everything is familiar, nobody has to sign up at other sites, etc. Just temporary, until Jason got a wiki/faqs/troubleshooting/walk-through/whatever area going on the site, at which time, hopefully most of the content would be ready just to port over. Just a suggestion. That's it. 1 minute after I post, you jump in, take over and create an external wiki. Not what I suggested. I didn't tell you to make a wiki. I mentioned wiki like i mentioned FAQs, etc. I don't know what Jason want's I was just guessing. Due to the "keep everything clean, keep everything simple" approach that Jason seems to favor, I assumed he would want everything within the bounds of the LB website. I was wrong, so i left it at that. LaunchBox now has a wiki, now you need to get users signed up and creating content. That is the main goal. You have it under control, just get on with it.

Hey guys, I'm not sure what the best solution for a Wiki is yet (never done one before), but yes, we could definitely benefit from a community-driven wiki of sorts. However, I'd rather not have it public until we have a decent amount of information in it, and then we can open it up to the community. Brad is helping in laying out all the options we have, so we can make a good decision as to where and how to host it. Bd, because I'd rather it not be "live" until we have some decent content, I like your idea of using the forums to build up the articles. Would you be willing to take the lead on that (and potentially the resulting Wiki as well)? I have a feeling you would do an amazing job on it all. I'm also confident that Brad would do an awesome job with the videos, and it sounds like he's up for that task. :) I really appreciate all the work you both put into the community; can't wait to see what we can do with the Wiki (hoping you're on board, bd). ;)

Thanks for the offer Jason, it is appreciated. It was never my intention when writing the first post regarding this issue, to take the lead on the forum post or a wiki or whatever. It was just a suggestion, I figured it would be a good idea to start collecting data now, so it was there when you were ready. I made the offer to manage it later because I knew it was something you didn't need on your plate right now. I forgot about Brad. Truth be told, I can't offer you the time or consistency that Brad does, he is a far better choice for this project and since he will be creating a majority of the videos, it will be much easier to manage in his hands. I realized this after he replied to the post and from that point it is exactly what I had in mind, he is perfect for this. I had no problem with it. I felt his approach was a little gung-ho and I don't have the authority to tell him to slow down a little and consider all factors. I ended up getting a little sharp, so sorry for that Brad. Brad will be great, just let him loose on this and let him do his thing. He will be in his element.

So! Here's version 3.2 beta 2. This now has the import process to go along with the export, and fixes all the recent bugs that have been reported (both with the import and otherwise). You can see a list of all the recent bug fixes here (just look at the Updated date): https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues?kind=bug&status=resolved I really need the import and export processes tested as extensively as possible. Also, please test any previous bugs you were running into (from the list I linked) to ensure that they are resolved. I'd like to put out the next release after we iron out any issues with beta 2. Thanks, Jason

Planning to release the official version 3.3 tomorrow night. Here is beta 3; I expect the official release to be very similar to this. The only things different in this from beta 2 are a few minor fixes, a new background fading feature, and an updated welcome dialog to introduce the upcoming premium version. Let me know if anyone runs into any bugs; otherwise, we'll shoot for an official release tomorrow night. Thanks again, everyone.

Alright, so I have a beta release ready sooner than I expected. I've done a lot of code cleanup for this release, so some general testing would be good. The primary change for this, though, is a new adjustable RAM cache feature that will help to speed up scrolling performance. Check out the RAM Cache tab in the Options dialog. Need to test for scrolling performance and also just to make sure that there are no crashes. Also, I've created a semi-automated "nightly" build system that will make it easier to test beta/nightly releases. You can download the releases here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox-nightlies Here's the link to this particular release: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox-nightlies/src/1c345f75efe34f373e30fb4546057d8bd8261091/LaunchBox_nightly_2014-08-20_21-21-06.exe?at=master