LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

And here's an updated build from tonight's development: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox-nightlies/src/6ae6c0361f0e199ec81086eadc6309824b340160/LaunchBox_nightly_2014-08-22_00-26-12.exe?at=master I really need some help testing this one as I've been battling some sporadic crashes while navigating between games. It seems to happen on right-clicking games but I haven't been able to check if that's the only time that it happens. Any testing anyone can do would be appreciated; most importantly, let me know if you get any crashes and what the errors are. Thanks, Jason

You're favorite breaker has done it again! System.IO.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.ReadCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) at System.IO.FileStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadDataInName(Int32& pos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset, Int32& colonPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace) at System.Xml.XmlLoader.ReadCurrentNode(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader) at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode(XmlReader reader) at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(XmlReader reader, Boolean denyResolving) at System.Data.DataSet.ReadXml(String fileName) at LaunchBox.Data.DataManager.Load() at LaunchBox.Forms.MainForm..ctor() at LaunchBox.Program.Main(String[] args) I was downloading data for Ganabare Goemon! on the NES. I was downloading images, and it was lagging very badly. I assumed it was the server not loading correctly. It took a while... and eventually became unresponsive; (Not Responding). Closed it and tried to load LB once more and the above error came up. Running the latest Nightly. 8-22. Edit: I had to use an XML backup and go back one so that LaunchBox would open. Trying to upload my XML file, having issues right now. Edit 2: The game I edited right before the crash still had its image too, only when you hit edit. I think it might be some weird image issue... I have no idea though. Still no luck uploading the XML... wtf.

Ok.... what? I ..... seriously broke it. System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid. at System.Drawing.Image.get_RawFormat() at System.Drawing.Graphics.IgnoreMetafileErrors(Image image, Int32& errorStatus) at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Int32 x, Int32 y) at LaunchBox.Drawing.GameGui.Paint(Graphics g, Int32 yOffset, Boolean controlFocused) at LaunchBox.Controls.GamesControl.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) I was just editing a game, no data. Went to the next game, hit edit and....... well, also take a look. xD http://i.imgur.com/9EuDNMj.png

Hey all, I went ahead and released 3.5 today; there were some serious bug fixes that needed to get out ASAP. I believe Brad's issues above have been solved. More importantly, I just put out a new nightly build with a very early (but semi-functional) sidebar. Feel free to give it a shot and comment on it. I expect that a lot will change with it yet, but it's a start. https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox-nightlies Thanks, Jason

This is where it starts getting exciting. I put up a new nightly. I've been working on the new sidebar (it's mostly done now) and also I've rethemed the main window. I don't have the options dialogs done yet, but this should allow for custom coloring as well (and eventually full-on skins, should we take it that far). Keep in mind that there's still a lot to do (for example, I don't have minimize/maximize/close buttons yet), but the app is usable with the new theme. But if you see something that's missing, it just means it isn't done yet. I'm looking for feedback on this; I want to hear what everybody thinks of the direction that I've taken. Also, let me know if you run into any bugs. Thanks guys, enjoy. :) https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox-nightlies LaunchBox-Beta-Dark-Theme.png

Jason Carr said Keenan, good find, but I can't reproduce it. Can you screenshot or copy paste me the error text?
It's just a generic "Stopped Responding" error message. No error log as far as I can see. For the right-click issue, staying in the main game list window and waiting five seconds doesn't make it crash. My XML file is 2.5MB, so maybe it's taking a bit of a time to load that information. If I right click anything before five seconds have passed, it crashes.

KeenanW said
Jason Carr said Keenan, good find, but I can't reproduce it. Can you screenshot or copy paste me the error text?
It's just a generic "Stopped Responding" error message. No error log as far as I can see. For the right-click issue, staying in the main game list window and waiting five seconds doesn't make it crash. My XML file is 2.5MB, so maybe it's taking a bit of a time to load that information. If I right click anything before five seconds have passed, it crashes.
Under tools try the clean up images option, if it even works. Otherwise try moving your images folder. If you have a lot of images, it will take a while. Otherwise also try using your XML backups. copy the first XML backup to the folder. Copy the LaunchBox.xml name and delete it. Rename the new XML with your copied name. See if that helps. You may also need to go back a few backups. If not that, do older versions give you the issue? Does the latest nightly give you issues? And about the size of XML's, unless you have a slow processing computer, and I mean really slow, a 2.5mb is relatively small. I personally operate with a 7.29mb XML and a 9.5GB images folder. It is however all dependent on the computer. Writing those last few sentences reminds me as well, do you use LB on a USB2 drive or over a network? The HDD Cache works abysmally over those 2 methods, hence being able to choose the amount of RAM LB uses now in conjunction with the HDD Cache. By default it is always on.

Conehead said got back yesterday and saw this . the new interface is really good. bugs .. none so far awesome work Jason :)
Yea, it is looking awesome. I also have a question for the Beta Testers. Do you guys use a controller with LB? Ideally in a "Steam Box" fashion? Or just on your TV like 5 feet away? Or do you use a controller at all? The question I have is, with the new UI would icons on the left be something that would make life easier? Maybe a 2 column system with an arrow at the bottom. 2 columns of game system icons.

I like the new sidebar, but I find it's constant presence unnecessary. A sliding window similar to that once implemented (via third party support) on the old Windows Vista gadgets sidebar would be nicer. With this feature, LaunchBox would open as per version 3.5, with a tiny icon placed midway down the left edge of the screen. Clicking (or hovering over) this little icon would slide the sidebar into view. The sidebar would remain visible and usable as long as the mouse stayed within it's boundaries or the access icon was clicked again. Moving the mouse to the right into the main games window or clicking the access icon would cause the sidebar to slide left until it vanished leaving only it's access icon. A similar sliding window could be added to the right edge. This could slide a user customisable sidebar; e.g. games info/screenshots/web metadata etc into view. It's just a thought, but perhaps something similar might be considered down the line.

SentaiBrad said The question I have is, with the new UI would icons on the left be something that would make life easier? Maybe a 2 column system with an arrow at the bottom. 2 columns of game system icons.
column of icons of gaming system would be good only if the person doesnt need to scroll down(to find his console/system) at all. but this can be solved if the person can change the size of icons of the system which would appear on the left side. in the current version small icons next to the names of the system would be nice but it would look more like openemu, which i guess is not what jason would want. scree has suggested an interested thing too.

KeenanW said
Interesting, sounds like maybe it's happening while pre-populating images to the cache. I'll see if I can figure anything out. Brad, can you, or anyone else with a very large library, try right-clicking several games immediately after starting the app?

nmc said Hello guys, The new GUI is getting really hot, nice work Jason. Is there a way to extend the controller usage into the platform sidebar browser? Aside from that, it´s getting really cool.
Thank you nmc! That's great to hear. Yes, I do plan on getting the controller working in the sidebar before release.