LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

SentaiBrad said Yea, it is looking awesome. I also have a question for the Beta Testers. Do you guys use a controller with LB? Ideally in a "Steam Box" fashion? Or just on your TV like 5 feet away? Or do you use a controller at all? The question I have is, with the new UI would icons on the left be something that would make life easier? Maybe a 2 column system with an arrow at the bottom. 2 columns of game system icons.
I would like to add icons similar to OpenEmu's presentation. The problem, though, is not everything works well with icons. Obviously statuses and such will not have icons associated with them, so it might be able to be done for platforms, for instance, but the interface would have to be changed back to text for other types.

scree said I like the new sidebar, but I find it's constant presence unnecessary. A sliding window similar to that once implemented (via third party support) on the old Windows Vista gadgets sidebar would be nicer. With this feature, LaunchBox would open as per version 3.5, with a tiny icon placed midway down the left edge of the screen. Clicking (or hovering over) this little icon would slide the sidebar into view. The sidebar would remain visible and usable as long as the mouse stayed within it's boundaries or the access icon was clicked again. Moving the mouse to the right into the main games window or clicking the access icon would cause the sidebar to slide left until it vanished leaving only it's access icon. A similar sliding window could be added to the right edge. This could slide a user customisable sidebar; e.g. games info/screenshots/web metadata etc into view. It's just a thought, but perhaps something similar might be considered down the line.
Hi Scree, yes, I will be implementing some sort of method of hiding/showing the sidebar before release. I'm not certain I'll have a solution that advanced, but I'll give it a shot. :)

Conehead said column of icons of gaming system would be good only if the person doesnt need to scroll down(to find his console/system) at all. but this can be solved if the person can change the size of icons of the system which would appear on the left side. in the current version small icons next to the names of the system would be nice but it would look more like openemu, which i guess is not what jason would want. scree has suggested an interested thing too.
I actually do like that concept (small icons next to the platforms); it might not be in the next release (because I need a way for the user to manage the icons first), but it's currently part of the plan. ;)

I just found out about this really nice frontend and I will also test some nightlies from time to time ;) I know that's not the place for feature requests but would it be possible to directly filter the games list (by title)? It's just more intuitive to just type the name (or parts of the name) and the list is filtering in real time (or jumps to the title as you type). I think now LaunchBox just jumps to the letter you type. Keep it up! =)

yattaah said I just found out about this really nice frontend and I will also test some nightlies from time to time ;) I know that's not the place for feature requests but would it be possible to directly filter the games list (by title)? It's just more intuitive to just type the name (or parts of the name) and the list is filtering in real time (or jumps to the title as you type). I think now LaunchBox just jumps to the letter you type. Keep it up! =)
Actually, you can. Since LaunchBox hasn't been fully changed over to the new UI there are still remnants left over. One of those is the old filter system. Top right corner, click filter then type in to any of the boxes you want. If something you type works, it should populate. This should probably be something that carries over to the new sorting method somehow, and it shouldn't be too bad.

SentaiBrad said Actually, you can. Since LaunchBox hasn't been fully changed over to the new UI there are still remnants left over. One of those is the old filter system. Top right corner, click filter then type in to any of the boxes you want. If something you type works, it should populate. This should probably be something that carries over to the new sorting method somehow, and it shouldn't be too bad.
Yeah I know. The emphasis was on "directly" without using the filtering menu (sorry, wasn't that clear in my post ^^") Just open LaunchBox, start typing, the right game will be selected or filtered out, press enter and boom that's it (maybe even a little bit like Indicator-Synapse on Linux).

yattaah said
SentaiBrad said Actually, you can. Since LaunchBox hasn't been fully changed over to the new UI there are still remnants left over. One of those is the old filter system. Top right corner, click filter then type in to any of the boxes you want. If something you type works, it should populate. This should probably be something that carries over to the new sorting method somehow, and it shouldn't be too bad.
Yeah I know. The emphasis was on "directly" without using the filtering menu (sorry, wasn't that clear in my post ^^") Just open LaunchBox, start typing, the right game will be selected or filtered out, press enter and boom that's it (maybe even a little bit like Indicator-Synapse on Linux).
You can press a letter and you will be taken to the first letter it see's.. as long as its not E or T... that also opens the edit menu and asks if you want to delete the item. xD Yea, a catch all search however could be pretty advantageous, and obviously the old Filter menu is going to go away, so hopefully this will be carried over in a new fashion.

• 3 weeks later...
Someone may have mentioned this before, I can't remember, but when filtering a platform such as Game Boy other platforms with Game Boy also show. So Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. This includes when viewing a platform from the side bar. Can this be prevented somehow? From the sidebar that is.

bd000 said Someone may have mentioned this before, I can't remember, but when filtering a platform such as Game Boy other platforms with Game Boy also show. So Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. This includes when viewing a platform from the side bar. Can this be prevented somehow? From the sidebar that is.
This happens with Playstation too. It happens with the old and new filtering system as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys! More than a month later, but I finally have a new version here for testing. :) https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox-nightlies We're getting much closer to the final release, but there's still plenty more to do. I'm particularly interested in any crashes you might run into. Also, bd, I'll look into that filters issue. :)

Hi Jason, do you have any instructions on how to install the nightly build for beta testing? when I download the exe, it just self-extracts in the folder it is residing. does it conflict with my previously installed LaunchBox 3.5? I'm new to beta testing, these questions may be very silly, but I'm a bit confused.

No worries Atlantico, instructions are buried in this super long thread; I need to find a better way to do this I guess. You can just copy the beta exe to your LaunchBox folder. You can leave your existing 3.5 LaunchBox.exe file there and copy the beta one next to it. They shouldn't get in the way of each other (and it should let you share your library). It might be wise to make a backup of your LaunchBox folder first, however, just in case.

Jason Carr said No worries Atlantico, instructions are buried in this super long thread; I need to find a better way to do this I guess. You can just copy the beta exe to your LaunchBox folder. You can leave your existing 3.5 LaunchBox.exe file there and copy the beta one next to it. They shouldn't get in the way of each other (and it should let you share your library). It might be wise to make a backup of your LaunchBox folder first, however, just in case.
Thanks Jason!