LaunchBox Community Forums

How can we contribute to the Launchbox Games Database? Beta & Moderator Signups!

donarumo

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course. I'm getting to the point where most consoles are starting to get repetitive, that's why I am starting to think about going outside of of just consoles but of course I want every major system on there. I don't know if I'd ever cover something like the Fairchild F. xD

Here is an issue I've come across The game Microcosm for Amiga CD32 trying to moderate the release date I found results on Wikipedia, Giant Bomb and IGN. Both Wikipedia and Giant Bomb list the games more lumped together with all the systems that they were released and they offer an initial release date but from reading the text it sounds like the game was released at different times on different platforms but not that can be verified. IGN has it listed as being released in 1994.

DOS76 said Here is an issue I've come across The game Microcosm for Amiga CD32 trying to moderate the release date I found results on Wikipedia, Giant Bomb and IGN. Both Wikipedia and Giant Bomb list the games more lumped together with all the systems that they were released and they offer an initial release date but from reading the text it sounds like the game was released at different times on different platforms but not that can be verified. IGN has it listed as being released in 1994.
Yeah, I moderated that one today myself. On the Wikipedia article for the game, if you click [show] next to Release Date(s), a drop-down field shows the release dates for various platforms, and it has Microcosm with a generic 1994 release date for Amiga CD32.

Sorry if I'm being anal about this but ESRB ratings question user has submitted Everyone but the box shows K+A (Kids + Adults) which is technically everyone how are we going about this do we want to match what the box art conveys or just approve K+A as E

Sounds like I haven't run into this game you mention. Kids and Adults became E for everyone, I would say because the industry today recognizes it as E today, we should call it E today. That's my 2 barrels. I feel like I been a stick in the mud on some of these....quality is king afterall :)

DOS76 said Sorry if I'm being anal about this but ESRB ratings question user has submitted Everyone but the box shows K+A (Kids + Adults) which is technically everyone how are we going about this do we want to match what the box art conveys or just approve K+A as E
In the ESRB Wikipedia article it says that K+A changed to E, so I assumed we'd be doing that. What about games that were retroactively rated by the ESRB (for Virtual Console, GOG or other re-releases?) I assume we'd apply the rating even though the rating didn't exist when the game was released? And what about games that have only been PEGI rated?

I am actually glad this has come up, I been jotting down some guidelines and was working through some tidbits on ratings. My thought, if the game has a rating today, even if it was retroactive and had no rating when it was originally released, I feel we should have it in the database with that rating from the ESRB. Anything K+A I am going with E, only because the ESRB's site states that rating was changed to E, and in the list of all ratings today they post, K+A is not mentioned. I interpret that as K+A is old, no longer recognized When it comes to ratings, I been trying to keep it simple, I had one game yesterday (can not recall which one now) for some reason I could not find it on the ESRB site (could have been the search words) but, on the developer's Twitter page, (and it was a verified page) it listed the game with a rating, so I made the choice to approve it as I couldn't imagine a verified page would advertise they have a rating from the ESRB, (and I didn't even find a news article someplace stating the rating changed, etc) but I also found that the ESRB site seems to be bad with searching depending on the length of the title.

Oh and my thought on the PEGI, we should recognize it if they rated it of course, but I know we probably don't want to clog the database too much and make things confusing. PEGI and ESRB ratings seems to be an opinion, we could survey 40 people and we will hear PEGI is better, ESRB is better, and they are both terrible and we shouldn't pay attention to either.

My opinion we should just use ESRB, I am trying not to single out anyone that may be outside of the US, but it is going to be one of those things, ESRB is older than PEGI. If you live and play a game in a European country, you see games marketed with a rating by the PEGI, likewise with ESRB in the US and likewise with another country on another system, etc. But it is ratings, so I don't imagine there would be too much of a fuss about it. Many of the resources we are using (Wikipedia, etc) anything that had to do with ratings, is ESRB anyways from what I have seen so far. If we stick with one system I believe ESRB is the way to go, most of us seem to know who they are anyways and helps keep things simple. (Unless we happen to find a game that was only released in Europe and was rated by the PEGI with that title, that might cause another conversation) That's my thought anyway.