LaunchBox Community Forums

Best Practice for keeping MAME ROMs up to date

DOS76

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CriticalCid said @SentaiBrad it seems I couldn' edit my placeholder post and it just created a new post. Maybe you can delete the placeholder then. Also if you want further information's for your video tutorial I would be very happy to help.
@CrticalCid Can you confirm that the placeholder post I just edited matches the second part of the tutorial? If so, I'll delete the second post.

You removed the place holder now the whole tutorial is there without any other posts in between it. So you don't have to remove anything else. If you could merge post 36 and 37 into the same post then the tutorial would be in one post that would work but it isn't a big deal.

I just edited his placeholder post with the post he made below me. I didn't know he wouldn't be able to edit after I posted, I thought he could. Which by the way I'll have Jason allow to edit posts. So if they're the same, I'll delete Post 39. If Cid also wants the posts merged I'll merge them too, but for now I'll leave it how he intended it.

I did make the placeholder because I didn’t know if the forum software has a max. text length per post so I wouldn’t run in any problems when I post the tutorial. Unfortunately now are the pictures in the tutorial are missing. I can only edit my last post of the thread if I made the last post in it, when someone posts after me than the post is locked and I can’t edit it anymore. @Dos76: Yes, when you change the merge type of your set it is the same as if you change your file format. A lot of your ROMs will get extracted and rezipped.

Your instructions are very clear and concise I just can't get the rebuilder to do anything I tried a couple of times both using split and merged and I keep getting the same results it doesn't create any new files I think I'm going to just download the newest ROM set and then just wait for 6 months to a year and then just update everything at one time. Thanks for trying to help I just can't get it to work and really don't play enough Arcade games to waste anymore of my time on it. Thanks again for putting in the time and effort to write the tutorial hopefully it will help someone else out.

Oh sorry, I noticed that I didn’t read your post right. It’s quite early in the morning for me… That’s odd. The rebuilder should normally rebuild your whole set to the merge option you chose. But what will definitely work is when you add your rompath with your merged ROMs to the add-folders, remove that folder from your “Rom-Paths”, add as your standard rom-path an empty new one and then auto-assign the new folder under the Systems tab. With that it should definitely rebuild your whole set into that new folder with the right merge setting. But be aware that a complete rebuild of a romset could take a few hours. And don't give up, you're almost thereWink Edit: You may want to unitick "Remove matched source files" in the rebuilder in case something goes wrong.

I don't know if you saw them but I posted my scan results and my rebuilder results it just doesn't make much sense to me I'm unclear about what they mean by a set when it says fixed unneeded sets 22,176/22176. What is a set? I know what a ROM is and a CHD.

Yes, I saw your scan results. A set consists of every ROM (clones, parents and sometimes hacks) and CHDs who belong to the same game. When the scanner tells you that you’re missing 10 sets it means that 10 games don’t have every version of the game or you don’t have the game at all. And fixed unneeded simply says that everything is fine with your ROMs. But why the scanner would say that to your merged set even if you chose split I can’t tell you.

• 2 months later...
thank you @criticalcid for your in-depth tutorial. Haven't seen a better one around google. Question: One step of your guide never seems to work for me. After following your instructions and when attempting to perform a simple scan, I'm always hit with an error about the system paths, not allowing me to complete the scan: "you're using sysdefpath options and at least one software list path is not unique. Software paths have to be unique and cannot be shared with others." I noticed others apparently don't have this issue, as google showed nothing for the error. Does this software literally require you to setup folder paths for 1000 different systems? Maybe someone else can chime in? Thanks!

Did you try to scan/update software lists and not only arcade games? I never heard of that error message either but I also never used Clrmamepro for software lists (I never bothered about MESS). If you don’t use Software Lists and only want to update your Arcade ROMs than it’s important that you click in Step 8 of my tutorial “NO”. Also it sounds like a problem in the systems manager (step 19 of my tutorial) maybe you can check if there everything looks similar to my screenshot?