LaunchBox Community Forums

Altirra help?

DOS76

Ok based on the mention in this weeks tutorial I've discovered Altirra and to tell you the truth I'm pretty impressed by it except for one issue you have to enter a command line for each game giving it a cartmapper value. 4 is the value for 32K games 6 is the value for 16k two chip games and 16 is the value for 16k one chip games and these aren't the only values just the most popular ones.

Ok, just so I am not coming off as a complete dick here I just went through the effort of getting the Atari 5200 emulated and working through Launchbox. The emulator I used was Kat5200 which has a funky Win 3.1 like UI but it does get the job done and has some old tv looking video filters. You do need a bios file named 5200.bin and the emulator needs to be pointed at the file. Overall it wasn't terribley difficult to setup and the few test games I did try out seemed to load up perfectly and play. Like I said the UI is a little on the funky side but does get the job done. If you wanna list some games you are having troubles with in Altirra I can try them out in Kat5200 and see how it handles them. I still don't think the 5200 is worth the effort however :P
  • Like 1

It totally blows KAT5200 out of the water with the UI and settings. The three most common mapper settings I've come across are 32k=4 16k 2 chip=6 and 16k 1 chip=16 there are others but some that I only saw once. If you were to setup Altirra multiple times in LaunchBox say as Altirra 32k Altirra 16k2chp and then setup each instance to run the /cartmapper:"value looked for" in the command line you wouldn't need to set them for every game but you could just edit the emulator as you found games that wouldn't launch.

• 10 months later...
On 4/9/2016 at 0:54 AM, DOS76 said:

Ok based on the mention in this weeks tutorial I've discovered Altirra and to tell you the truth I'm pretty impressed by it except for one issue you have to enter a command line for each game giving it a cartmapper value. 4 is the value for 32K games 6 is the value for 16k two chip games and 16 is the value for 16k one chip games and these aren't the only values just the most popular ones.

is there info on how to actually get Atari ST roms working

I prefer Atari 800 (the emulator) for Atari 8-bit/5200 emulation. You can do the same process that Monkus mentions in that thread with Atari 800 or just create a save state file (and use it as the "rom") for bypassing the mapper prompt - either one works. I don't know how to remap the start and option keys though, either on Altirra or Atari 800 for that matter :(

11 minutes ago, roy1975 said:

Thing that drives me crazy about Atari 800 emulation: As near as I can tell, no current emulator is capable of playing Beamrider properly as the game freezes in both Altirra and Atari 800 whenever you shoot the mother ship.

I just tested it out in Atari 800 and it's working fine for me. I destroyed the mother ship on the first level and it kept on truckin' to the next level. It's a cartridge version of it.

Yeah there's ton of missing stuff for Atari 8-bit. Just login to the DB (I think you have to create a separate account if I recall - you login with an email address rather than a username for the DB) and either edit an entry (if it already exists) to add images, descriptions, etc. or create a new entry and add those if it doesn't exist. It then goes through a moderation queue.

Just now, Patham said:

Cool, I did that with Jawbreaker, now I have some additions for that and some other Atari 8-bit games I'll submit. I'm OCD about stuff like that, haha, having a game in my collection that's off with say an image from another version or completely missing or metadata that's incorrect, I like to clean those up.

You're in good company round these parts haha. I'm OCD to the max about that stuff. I ended up grabbing a bunch of covers and screenshots off of Atarimania for mine, but I haven't had the chance to submit them to the db yet.

• Like 1