LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with Yabause through Launch box

Syriacn

Hello, I am having trouble loading Sega Saturn games (.cue's .bin) through Launch box. If I start up Yabause outside of Launch box (just double clicking the Yabause exe and load any game (cue file) the game loads perfectly. But not through Launch Box, after clicking on the game Yabause comes up, in a non-fullscreen mode and doesn't do anything. Any clues? Thanks for your time, PS love Launch Box!! Syriacn

From what I understand Yabause is notoriously unfriendly about loading things without going through the gui. As far as I know, Yabause doesn't have command line support. SSF works much better for Saturn, and I already know how to make SSF work from command line if you want to switch to it. Only thing is, you will have to use virtual disc software to use SSF, but It's not very hard to set it all up to run from launchbox. (Wow, this makes the 2nd or 3rd Saturn thread this week).

Thanks kamyk2000 for he reply. I manage to get Yabause to launch the launch box, here is what I did. I downloaded and install DAEMON Tools. I then clicked on "Add DT Virtual Drive" under the "actions" tab. In Yabause, Under file, settings, General, CD-ROM, I made sure the "ISO-File Virtual Drive" was selected, and that the line below led to my Roms folder. Also towards the bottom of the General tab I click the "Autostart" box. After that I started up Launch Box and selected a Sega Saturn game, it loaded up and was very playable. Syriacn
  • Like 1

Could you tell us what version of Yabause you are using? It might be useful to know, because I know there were versions where the Dev removed command line support. Are you using an older version or did the Dev put support back in in the latest versions? Edit: I am trying what you just described now. Do you have all of your .cue .bin files loose in one directory, or are you using .zip files all in one directory? The latest version of Yabause I downloaded won't let me choose a directory without specifying an actual .cue or .iso file in it, so organization by subfolder isn't an option apparently. I will probably just stick with SSF, but I want to know how people have gotten things to work so I can compile the information. Is it working through Launchbox regardless of which game you choose for Saturn, or only if you choose the game you specified in the second cd path line in Yabause? I put a bunch of my Saturn .cue and .iso files into one directory and I did exactly what you are describing, but the only game that will load is the .cue I specified in Yabause no matter which game I choose from Launchbox, and if I manually add the game directory to Yabause without a .cue or .iso specified Yabause tells me it can't be initialized. So either how you set it up is not as functional as you thought, or there's something about your setup that you didn't explain (Yabause version you are using, if you are using a .bat file to mount first). Like I said, I'd like to know because I'd like to get as much info for running the various emulators through Launchbox as I can compiled into one big list, so people don't have to keep figuring the same things out over and over.

Good morning kamyk2000, I will help you with all my settings, let me know what else I might help with or missed. Here we go. I running version 0.9.14 of Yabause. My .cue .bin files are loose in one directory. Yabause will launch and play any game through Launch Box. I do not have a single game chosen through the second cd path in Yabause, I have my D drive chosen, which is my physical DVD drive, not sure why but it worked. My games are on my network, I mapped my rom directory, they are on my F drive. I am not using a .bat file. I have included a few pictures of my settings. Launch-Box-Yabause-Settings.jpgYabause-Emulator-Settings.jpgRom-Directory.jpgSaturn-Directory.jpg
  • Like 1

Thank you. It seems he must have added back in command line support. I can get it to load games with those settings. :) It also doesn't seem to matter if the .cue and .bin files are in subdirectories or not, it just matters that you have the -i switch. Thanks for posting all that. :) (In the process of figuring it out, I have discovered that my copy of Rayman doesn't work, so I'll have to rip it again. Thanks for leading me to find that out too).

kamyk2000 said From what I understand Yabause is notoriously unfriendly about loading things without going through the gui. As far as I know, Yabause doesn't have command line support. SSF works much better for Saturn, and I already know how to make SSF work from command line if you want to switch to it. Only thing is, you will have to use virtual disc software to use SSF, but It's not very hard to set it all up to run from launchbox. (Wow, this makes the 2nd or 3rd Saturn thread this week).
Can you share the SSF configuration for Launch Box ? Some games doesn't run in Yabause. Thank you !!!!

It's fairly simple, but you need to use virtual dvd/cd drive software. Create an empty batch file (a text file with the file extension .bat instead of .txt and put the following lines into it. This assumes you have installed your virtual drive software into the default locatations. If you are using alchohol 52% or 120% put:
@echo off "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" K: /M:%1 start "" /wait ssf.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" K: /U
if you are using Daemonstools, put:
@echo off "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTAgent.exe" -mount dt, 0, %1% start "" /wait ssf.exe "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Pro\DTAgent.exe" -unmount dt, 0
Save this .bat file as something like SSFRun.bat into the same directory where ssf.exe is, then just set SSFRun.bat as the emulator for Saturn in launchbox. When it runs it will mount your game to the virtual drive, then tell SSF to run. After you are done, it will automatically unmount the game again.

DOS76 said I am having this issue also but I am using DTLite and there isn't a DTAgent.exe in the folder
Here's my working code @echo off set daemon="D:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" start "" %daemon% -mount dt, 0, %1% start /wait "" "SSF.exe" %daemon% -unmount dt, 0

• 1 year later...
Good morning kamyk2000,

I will help you with all my settings, let me know what else I might help with or missed. Here we go.

I running version 0.9.14 of Yabause.
My .cue .bin files are loose in one directory.
Yabause will launch and play any game through Launch Box.
I do not have a single game chosen through the second cd path in Yabause, I have my D drive chosen, which is my physical DVD drive, not sure why but it worked.
My games are on my network, I mapped my rom directory, they are on my F drive.
I am not using a .bat file.

I have included a few pictures of my settings.

Launch-Box-Yabause-Settings.jpgYabause-Emulator-Settings.jpgRom-Directory.jpgSaturn-Directory.jpg

This is great to know, but I am still struggling to get Yabause or SSF to run with my registered version of Daemon Tools. I hope to use your Launchbox tutorial when I do. I wonder if Retroarch might. Be a better way for me to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

For Saturn either the RA Saturn core or Mednafen are recommended just for the fact you don't need any 3rd party software to run it. Daemon Tools on Windows 10 has been nothing but a nightmare for me.

Good to know as I planned to try it tonight. I am an old Hyperspin user and currently use it for my MAME cabinet. I am now moving to my home theatre to get consoles rocking after I saw how awesome Launchbox was. I purchased the premium version and also grabbed Retro Arch. I have NES roms running fine on Launchbox through Retro Arch, which is using Nestopia. I need to get my head wrapped around this so I can get the Saturn up and running.

This id my question. Do I use Retro Arch and load the Medafen or RA Saturn emulator as a core? Then do I point to the ROMs? Then do I load Launchbox and import roms for the Saturn. I then point to Retro Arch and should be good to go? I am also using Win 10.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Saturn has two cores in RA one Is a Yabuse core the other is the Mednafen Saturn core the Mednafen core is the one recommended.

So I got The Medafen core setup in Retro Arch. I then got it setup with Launchbox. The two bios for Medafen were placed in the "state" folder for Retro Arch. I first selected Virtua Fighter (US).iso with the matching .cue file and Launch Box crashed. Back to the drawing board with the Batsugun (J).iso and cue file. I got through setting the time and then was halted at the boot menu, indicating there is something wrong with my .cue file.
Having said that, I would like to trouble shoot this and would like a recommendation on what working .iso and .cue rom file I should use that works with Medafen.
Thanks.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ok 1st off your bios files need to be placed in your systems folder instead of the state folder. Can you get RetroArch to load the Saturn games outside of LB? That should always be where you start this way you know if RA is your problem before you start investigating LB.