LaunchBox Community Forums

Requesting a 'few' features ;)

d3vilsadvocate

Hey I recently became a premium member and I have to say I'm a huge fan of this app! It's so much better than steam it's almost unreal lol. Over the last week I've written down a few features I'd maybe like to see in future versions. None of them are essential, but they would be nice to have. -Secondary application path --> it would be nice to add a secondary application path for those of us who might have one particular game from two sources (say gog.com and steam) in order to avoid duplicate entries. As of now there is a workaround since you can simply use the 'Configuration Application Path' for this purpose. Still, it would be nice if the client asks you which version of a game you'd like to launch when you double click a particular game icon. -Middle mouse scroll --> I'd love to see an option where clicking the middle mouse button somewhere in the app allows you to scroll through your games much like in a web browser. Also, being able to manually increase or decrease in app scroll speed somewhere in the menus would be nice. -Additional side bar options--> It would be cool to be able to select more than one selection criteria, say maybe 2-3 at once. -Customizing 'Arrange By' --> The Arrange By is full of menu items I never need. Would be awesome if we could select which ones show somewhere in the menu to give you a quicker overview. Likewise, it would be nice if we could optionally rearrange the 'arrange by' submenu and maybe put it on the left side just below the sidebar (yes, I realize that there might not be enough space though). -Show Details --> the hovering 'show details' submenu is still kinda glitchy. It you set it 'on hover' it pops up too late (others might disagree --> delay option in the menu) and then always shows the information of the last game selected first before showing the right game detail information. And if you got lots of screenshots for one game and want to scroll them down, it will start scrolling down the main app window as well, so maybe you could add a separate scrollbar for that hovering details submenu. -Quicker search --> when the user types letter, they should automatically be written down in the 'search' menu and immediately show the corresponding results without the need to hit enter (similar to steam). Likewise, hitting 'esc' or clicking elsewhere in the app should clear the search field. Alternatively, hitting 'tab' could activate the search field. -Additional fullscreen options --> fullscreen mode is lacking access to 'details' and 'arrange by' buttons. -Full movie support --> maybe for later, but this would make for an awesome movie library app!! That's pretty much it really. If you want more input, let me know.

To differentiate between different services, I've just been making them unique systems. For example, once the scraper has downloaded all the information for my Steam copy of Mirror's Edge, I just change the "Console" data field to read "Steam". Then I do the same thing with my Origin copy, so it reads "Origin". That way the left navigation bar will read, y'know "Origin --- Sega Genesis -- Steam". It's working for me pretty well (I'm also separating games by Operating System if they aren't linked to a service.)

Hi advocate, welcome to the forums. Thanks for all the input. Per the secondary application, this already exists. Look under "Additional Applications". I wasn't aware that the hover details were glitchy, but I see that now; thanks for that, I'll get it fixed soon. Per the rest, all are good ideas. I'll add them to my list. Thanks again. :)

As far as the movie library app suggestion is concerned... Lemme tell ya Jason, if you made an alternate version of Launchbox that used IMDB and/or other such sources for movie metadata rather than game data, not only would you have the best such program on the market, I'd very happily fork over another contribution fee to get it. You'd have to alter a few things, like making the category list a dropdown box so the details could take more screen and add things like actor sub panes or whatever, but seriously, I spent weeks looking for movie database software and none of it was anywhere near as usable as Launchbox. The free ones were very rudimentary, and the professional ones were both half assed and extremely pricey. The only pro movie software out there right now is soley for cataloging your physical dvd collection by either manual entry or barcode scan with your phone. Digital movie archivists get junk. Launchbox movie manager (with a few tweaks for media type) would be stellar software.

kamyk2000 said As far as the movie library app suggestion is concerned... Lemme tell ya Jason, if you made an alternate version of Launchbox that used IMDB and/or other such sources for movie metadata rather than game data, not only would you have the best such program on the market, I'd very happily fork over another contribution fee to get it. You'd have to alter a few things, like making the category list a dropdown box so the details could take more screen and add things like actor sub panes or whatever, but seriously, I spent weeks looking for movie database software and none of it was anywhere near as usable as Launchbox. The free ones were very rudimentary, and the professional ones were both half assed and extremely pricey. The only pro movie software out there right now is soley for cataloging your physical dvd collection by either manual entry or barcode scan with your phone. Digital movie archivists get junk. Launchbox movie manager (with a few tweaks for media type) would be stellar software.
I am honestly not very excited about multimedia prospects. Not that LaunchBox couldn't do that, but I would REALLY want the Game aspect to get to an extremely sophisticated state personally before then. Honestly, between Kodi and Plex, I don't need a competent TV Show, Movie and Anime library program with scrapers and tons of data. Plex will even allow me to stream outside of my Network assuming I set that port up. Hell, I've gotten it to work on my WiiU's browser. So while LaunchBox could do some cool things with it, that market has been covered competently where as games I don't think was covered competently. That's just my own thoughts though.

I agree with both of you. The movies app should only happen once the gaming part is in a 100% complete state. Also, I would probably hire additional developers and then turn the movie catalogue app into a fully paid program. But that's just my two cents. Once I start working in January I will probably donate more money to this project.

Have to disagree with both of you, would like to see multimedia included but not to the extent of games etc just a dedicated field you can click on under the dropdown in the sidebar Complete, Date added, Date modified, Developer Favourite, Genre, Platform etc say have this field called Media where you can put a list of movie types cartoon fantasy fairies etc the same as the Platform field (nes, snes sega ms-dos etc), then under those categories you could place shortcuts to the films (which i can under platform at moment, but want to keep platform for games directories as is) dont want plex or kodi or any other program as its for a machine im building for my daughter when she clicks on power button on machine it will open up to Launchbox easy for her to navigate windows os hid so she cant do damage to it, by clicking on media category she would be presented with her ripped movies or music, and clicking on platform she would be presented with her games, that simple, oh and have Launchbox have a shutdown key for computer as well. So just a media category no frills or downloading metadata involved and everything under that media category to be invisible from other items like Complete, Date added, Date modified, Developer Favourite, Genre, Platform etc and before anyone says custom filter tried that but doesnt allow for media to be hidden from other categories.Smile

Maddoc1007 said Have to disagree with both of you, would like to see multimedia included but not to the extent of games etc just a dedicated field you can click on under the dropdown in the sidebar Complete, Date added, Date modified, Developer Favourite, Genre, Platform etc say have this field called Media where you can put a list of movie types cartoon fantasy fairies etc the same as the Platform field (nes, snes sega ms-dos etc), then under those categories you could place shortcuts to the films (which i can under platform at moment, but want to keep platform for games directories as is) dont want plex or kodi or any other program as its for a machine im building for my daughter when she clicks on power button on machine it will open up to Launchbox easy for her to navigate windows os hid so she cant do damage to it, by clicking on media category she would be presented with her ripped movies or music, and clicking on platform she would be presented with her games, that simple, oh and have Launchbox have a shutdown key for computer as well. So just a media category no frills or downloading metadata involved and everything under that media category to be invisible from other items like Complete, Date added, Date modified, Developer Favourite, Genre, Platform etc and before anyone says custom filter tried that but doesnt allow for media to be hidden from other categories.Smile
Then why bother. If LaunchBox does do it, then Jason is going to want to make a fleshed out an awesome feature set similar to what we have now. If LB does a bare bones approach then still nothing changes.

SentaiBrad said Then why bother. If LaunchBox does do it, then Jason is going to want to make a fleshed out an awesome feature set similar to what we have now. If LB does a bare bones approach then still nothing changes.
A lot of gamers like to take video captures of their gameing thus a media field does make sense a place in Launchbox for them to have those gameing videos available so the addition of a media field does make sense, and also that field could also offer the oppertunity of people that want similar to me a place for video or music.

Maddoc1007 said
SentaiBrad said Then why bother. If LaunchBox does do it, then Jason is going to want to make a fleshed out an awesome feature set similar to what we have now. If LB does a bare bones approach then still nothing changes.
A lot of gamers like to take video captures of their gameing thus a media field does make sense a place in Launchbox for them to have those gameing videos available so the addition of a media field does make sense, and also that field could also offer the oppertunity of people that want similar to me a place for video or music.
I didn't put a game capture spin on it. I capture a lot of footage for my channel but I have my own network setup and YouTube... I never thought of that aspect.

Sure, I have *BIG* intentions for LaunchBox, way past just games. That said, we have a very long ways to go with games before I think it'd be wise to move on to other types of media. And one thing's for sure, when we go to other types of media, it needs to be a good solution, and a clean interface.

It is an aspect a lot of gamers would like and to be quite honest some of the games footage that are on the web are good to look at from time to time almost like films in their own way, but i also look at it from a parent perspective as my daughter loves Launchbox but also asks for me to download music videos with words to the songs she is learning and combineing both to me makes sense. A single media field that gamers utilize to their advantage or a parent can use to their advantage.Smile

I agree with Brad. Using both Plex and Kodi myself, I could never see me switching to LB for multimedia purposes. LB would need a lot of work to catch up to either of those, time which would take Jason away from LB's core purpose. In my opinion, it would be a mistake for Jason to consider anything like this at this moment in time. d3vilsadvocate am I right in understanding that you are not looking for a media centre app, but rather a cataloguing app for your physical DVD/BluRay Collection? This would be different to what Plex and Kodi do and probably more in scope of what LaunchBox is (visually speaking), however it would still take considerable time away from LB's core purpose. You have to remember Jason is the sole dev on this project. Also a cataloguing app as you describe is a whole different market to what LB, Kodi, Plex, etc. offer. If Jason decides to open LB to plugins however, something like what you described might just happen. Have you ever considered digitizing your physical media collection and experimenting with Kodi or Plex? I did this back in 2009 (reluctantly) just because I was moving country, but now I am so glad I did. Physical copies of anything these days just go in the attic to collect dust and it is dust I don't have to clean every week. For those of you who really really want to add movies/tv to LB, it is possible right now only without the benefit of scrapers. Just download a media player such as VLC (must be able to control it from the command line) and set it up as you would an emulator. Then go to Tools>Import>ROM Files... and point it to your movie/tv collection. Skip all scrapers and your movie/tv collection should import, named like the filenames. Of course this is by no means a perfect solution and you will have to add all the artwork and metadata manually, but it is possible. However, if plugins were supported, scrapers for any content a user desires could be created. Adding game footage videos is a completely different kettle of fish, as I assume you would want to add it to a specific game as you would fanart or screenshots?! +1 for this and this was something discussed many moons ago and something far more likely to happen in the near future. Jason mentioned above that he is already planning on adding video support, so this is an exciting prospect.