LaunchBox Community Forums

Using Daemon Tools through Launchbox...

combstim4419

Yeah for the most part video cards have little to no effect on how well most emulators perform. However some emulators like Dolphin, Cemu and PCSX2 do get some benefit from a graphics card but the CPU does the heavy lifting.

Graphics cards do help however when you get into things like shaders in Retroarch and Mame and resolution scaling in Dolphin and PCSX2.

Saturn emulation is actually more complex due to the hardware design of the original system. The Saturn actually had 2 CPUs and 2 video processors in it which is quite difficult to emulate properly. Even game devs back in the day had a hard time programming for the Saturn.

Dolphin is very easy to get working in Launchbox.

• Like 1

There is more you can do as a whole to your system to help things run smoothly as well:

As for RetroArch and Mednafen, RA is honestly one of, if not the best emulator out there. It's standardizing stuff across multiple emulators and systems that no one else has ever done. If you make your system a bit more lean from that thread, and make RA lean, then there is the potential that things can run more smoothly. Like Monkus said though, the Saturn is stupid complicated, and requires a bit more power as a result. Certain emulators and cores are like that, like the Bsnes Accuracy core requiring around a 3Ghz CPU. If you're comfortable with overclocking, and it's available on your CPU, that is a potential to increase it a little bit, but without good cooling too high might damage your CPU. We also have tons of tutorials on the channel as well if you're interested, a lot (but not all) dealing with RetroArch.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB

• 1 year later...

If anyone had similar problems with automatic DTools Lite 10.8 image mounting within Launchbox like me recently, please let me know. I'm on newest version WIN 10 pro 64.

I've been looking for infos about this problem all over the net, but I didn't find anything. My recent problems:

After ignoring DTools Lite 10.7's pleas to update to 10.8 for months, I finally gave the new update a try today.
I don't really trust DaemonTools updates, I had other problems before at times with some old functionality not working anymore after auto-updates, but I was annoyed by the constant update info popups and just went on.

And I was right to hesitate with the update, again DTools messed up my Launchbox usage settings in a very annoying way.

Before I could easily use DTAgent for auto-mounting as additional app and have done so without problems. I could just point the add. app. to DTAgent and put in a command line parameter like this:

"-mount dt, "D:\GAMES\XXX\XXX.ccd" and set it to start before main program. The same for "-unmount E" and set "start after main program" for unmounting automatically after game stop.

After I did the update to 10.8 however, none of these methods worked anymore. DTAgent just refused to mount or unmount anything. The commands were worthless and nothing happens.

Now I fiddled around a bit and luckily noticed I can just use an alternative method to auto-mount/unmount using DTCommandLine.exe. It uses other types of command line options. For automount I have to point add. app to DTCommandLine.exe, then add

-M -l "E" -p "D:\GAMES\XXX\XXX.ccd".

It works the same, seems even a bit faster in executing the mount commands. It opens a COM window shortly, which is slightly ugly and annoying, but not a huge problem.

But now I have to exchange every game using the old DTAgent method manually to the new DTCommandLine method. This will take some time, and I still don't know what actually happened with Daemon Tools.

Could anyone please enlighten me and confirm the following: Did they really just change the command line methods with the most recent 10.8 update? Or did they even make this non-free for the future out of sheer sadism? I noticed that the "command line" section on the Daemon Tools help section only refers to DTCommandLine for DTools Lite by now, but has entries about DTAgent on its DTools Pro site.

http://daemon-help.com/additionally/command/

http://daemonpro-help.com/additionally/command_line_integration/

Or is there some bug in my system or in my install process causing this DTAgent failure? I'd prefer to change that back to its old DTAgent functionality before I will really have to edit all my iso-bound games, which will take days...

Edited by nietzsche666

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 4:46 AM, nietzsche666 said:

If anyone had similar problems with automatic DTools Lite 10.8 image mounting within Launchbox like me recently, please let me know. I'm on newest version WIN 10 pro 64.

I've been looking for infos about this problem all over the net, but I didn't find anything. My recent problems:

After ignoring DTools Lite 10.7's pleas to update to 10.8 for months, I finally gave the new update a try today.
I don't really trust DaemonTools updates, I had other problems before at times with some old functionality not working anymore after auto-updates, but I was annoyed by the constant update info popups and just went on.

And I was right to hesitate with the update, again DTools messed up my Launchbox usage settings in a very annoying way.

Before I could easily use DTAgent for auto-mounting as additional app and have done so without problems. I could just point the add. app. to DTAgent and put in a command line parameter like this:

"-mount dt, "D:\GAMES\XXX\XXX.ccd" and set it to start before main program. The same for "-unmount E" and set "start after main program" for unmounting automatically after game stop.

After I did the update to 10.8 however, none of these methods worked anymore. DTAgent just refused to mount or unmount anything. The commands were worthless and nothing happens.

Now I fiddled around a bit and luckily noticed I can just use an alternative method to auto-mount/unmount using DTCommandLine.exe. It uses other types of command line options. For automount I have to point add. app to DTCommandLine.exe, then add

-M -l "E" -p "D:\GAMES\XXX\XXX.ccd".

It works the same, seems even a bit faster in executing the mount commands. It opens a COM window shortly, which is slightly ugly and annoying, but not a huge problem.

But now I have to exchange every game using the old DTAgent method manually to the new DTCommandLine method. This will take some time, and I still don't know what actually happened with Daemon Tools.

Could anyone please enlighten me and confirm the following: Did they really just change the command line methods with the most recent 10.8 update? Or did they even make this non-free for the future out of sheer sadism? I noticed that the "command line" section on the Daemon Tools help section only refers to DTCommandLine for DTools Lite by now, but has entries about DTAgent on its DTools Pro site.

http://daemon-help.com/additionally/command/

http://daemonpro-help.com/additionally/command_line_integration/

Or is there some bug in my system or in my install process causing this DTAgent failure? I'd prefer to change that back to its old DTAgent functionality before I will really have to edit all my iso-bound games, which will take days...

No they changed in DT lite command line in new version, I contacted them and they said they changed, and pointed me to same link you shared here. But I have question how did you manage to run DTCommandLine.exe, what exactly it is? I'm just not sure how to create batch file with DTCommandLIne.exe, can you please share whole script if you can, because I cant find anywhere how to do it. Thank  you

@ Mile Panic: Ok, thanks a lot for the info. By now, I have exchanged all my launchbox settings for use with DTCommandline.exe manually, it took some time. But I'm still really angry about this unwanted change they coerce you into without telling you anything about it. All this I suppose just to press people into buying the pay versions of Daemon Tools. A lot of people will have to rewrite millions of batch files and frontend settings for this for no reason. Grrrr.

I don't use batch files for my auto-mount settings. I use additional apps within launchbox. What I do to make it work is already in my post. I repeat:

For automount I have to point add. app to DTCommandLine.exe, then add

-M -l "E" -p "D:\GAMES\XXX\XXX.ccd"

in the command line section.

-M is for mount, -l (small L) is for Letter of the Drive, "E" is the drive letter I wanted to use(has to be in quotation marks). -p is for path. And everything in q.marks after that is of course just the path to your CD/DVD image file.

For Unmounting I just use another additional app pointing to DTCommandline.exe and use

-U

in the command line section (It's for unmount drives).

DTCommandLine.exe is a exe that's in your DTLite installation folder. I don't know if it was there in elder versions, but now it is the way to go. The info about the new command line options is in the DTLite help link I posted before. I hope this helps a bit if you want to set up batch files. You will just have to exchange all DTAgent references with DTCommandLine references and command lines, I guess.

7 hours ago, nietzsche666 said:

@ Mile Panic: Ok, thanks a lot for the info. By now, I have exchanged all my launchbox settings for use with DTCommandline.exe manually, it took some time. But I'm still really angry about this unwanted change they coerce you into without telling you anything about it. All this I suppose just to press people into buying the pay versions of Daemon Tools. A lot of people will have to rewrite millions of batch files and frontend settings for this for no reason. Grrrr.

I don't use batch files for my auto-mount settings. I use additional apps within launchbox. What I do to make it work is already in my post. I repeat:

For automount I have to point add. app to DTCommandLine.exe, then add

-M -l "E" -p "D:\GAMES\XXX\XXX.ccd"

in the command line section.

-M is for mount, -l (small L) is for Letter of the Drive, "E" is the drive letter I wanted to use(has to be in quotation marks). -p is for path. And everything in q.marks after that is of course just the path to your CD/DVD image file.

For Unmounting I just use another additional app pointing to DTCommandline.exe and use

-U

in the command line section (It's for unmount drives).

DTCommandLine.exe is a exe that's in your DTLite installation folder. I don't know if it was there in elder versions, but now it is the way to go. The info about the new command line options is in the DTLite help link I posted before. I hope this helps a bit if you want to set up batch files. You will just have to exchange all DTAgent references with DTCommandLine references and command lines, I guess.

Yeah man I hear ya! I was using daemon tools in conjunction with PCsX-R  for mounting disks trough the command line, and worked great for years. Now I upgraded to windows 10 and windows10 doesn't aloud old version of DT  to be installed so I had to get new version and all problems started.  Thanks a lot for the info, yeah I guess my problem is that there is no DTCommandline.exe in DT instalation folder, and I have version 10.3 of DT lite right now. Wish there was another good mounter on the market, but there is none for what I'm looking for. For some reason PCSX-r sapu cdr plugin only works with IDE drives, and as far as I know only Daemon tools supports it. Other thing is command lines, cant find command line switches for other mounters. Thanks a lot for the help, was so hard to to find anything on internet about this problem. 

1 hour ago, nietzsche666 said:

Ok, my version is 10.8. though, not 10.3. DTAgent command line options worked with 10.7. And with 10.8 now as I described. Maybe u just try to download the upgrade? DTCommandline.exe should appear then; I'd say.

Yeah you are right,  10.3 dont have it but now I installed latest version and it has it. I will play more with it and keep you updated.

thanks for help!

15 minutes ago, Mile Panic said:

Yeah you are right,  10.3 dont have it but now I installed latest version and it has it. I will play more with it and keep you updated.

thanks for help!

OK I just bought option in DT lite that i need for $10 cad, and everything works now, just needed DTCommandline.exe, I'm just curios I ve heard lots of bad stuff about daemon tools fro malware and other sneaky issues, is that still a problem and it is only problem for pirated version or payed version has same issue as well?

thanks

Dunno, I use only non-payed lite version and don't have problems of that sort. It has these annoying update popups, but that's it, it seems.

I used to have really messed up problems years ago with Daemon Tools completely crashing my OS, mostly due to the image drive drivers breaking windows etc. Then I had this problem that after a Windows upload I couldn't deinstall Daemon Tools. It was hell to get out of that. But other than that, newer versions on WIn10 64 don't pose these problems anymore. 

Glad you could figure out the DTCommandline.exe thing. Hope your batch files will work with it. :)

3 minutes ago, nietzsche666 said:

Dunno, I use only non-payed lite version and don't have problems of that sort. It has these annoying update popups, but that's it, it seems.

I used to have really messed up problems years ago with Daemon Tools completely crashing my OS, mostly due to the image drive drivers breaking windows etc. Then I had this problem that after a Windows upload I couldn't deinstall Daemon Tools. It was hell to get out of that. But other than that, newer versions on WIn10 64 don't pose these problems anymore. 

Glad you could figure out the DTCommandline.exe thing. Hope your batch files will work with it. :)

yeah they all work now, just have to updated them lol :) yeah i had to buy it for IDE drives because they are not available in free version.

• 10 months later...

Is there any way to use this same code to load a FM-Towns mds/cue file into daemon tools after having launchbox extract the files from the zip? .... 

@echo off start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount 0, %1% start /wait "" "SSF.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0

• 2 months later...