LaunchBox Community Forums

Using Daemon Tools through Launchbox...

combstim4419

SentaiBrad said What kind of GPU and how much RAM do you have? If you are using RetroArch x64 that means it is flagged to use up to 3 or 4GB of RAM. If you are at 4 or 6GB there might not be enough wiggle room. As well, if your GPU is a bit older as well that could effect the frame rate. A quick look up after my last paragraph reveals a lot about the two emulators actually. SSF is closed source which is why its a bitch to deal with. Only the main developer(s) can do anything to the emulator and who knows if they're even still developing it. Yabuse however is open source, which is why it is included with RA to begin with and can be edited or added to over time, and quicker more than likely. However, it does seem (at least at the time of this information's post date that I found) SSF is technically more superior to Yabuse. I don't know the rate of development for them though and the sad truth is the Sega Saturn is not a sought after console to emulate so it gets left behind sometimes. The complexity of the console can also be at fault sometimes too. An inverse example is the Wii. It was so like the Gamecube (pretty much two gamecubes stacked on top and plugged in to each other) that it was super easy to emulate and folded in to Dolphin right away.
I'm pretty sure it's not my PC's fault that Yabause is slow. I have an i5 4670, 16GB RAM and a 960 GTX. If most PS2 games run full speed on the PCSX2 emulator, even by using the software graphics mode, there is no reason for Yabause to be so slow, especially when it's not as accurate as SSF. I don't use Yabause outside RetroArch so i don't know much about it, but i remember reading that SSF is more demanding, yet SSF runs all games 100% with no frame skipping for me. As for Saturn emulation in general, well, i think with SSF it's pretty good. There are far worse examples out there IMO. Jaguar, for instance, is still not good. Both emulators that exist (VJ and Project Tempest) don't play all games, even though the Jaguar has only a tiny amount of them. Also, the N64 emulation scene is very messy. You don't get good results unless you have a lot of plugins to experiment and, IMO, the latest PJ64 version (2.2.0.3).

No, your system is perfectly fine, but a lot of users run in to issues having no clue their PC isn't powerful enough. So it's something we like to rule out. It's almost question number 1 when performance is in question. Yes, N64 for its age compared to PS1 is way way behind. PCSX2 and Dolphin have done way more in half the time Mupen or Project 64 have been on the market.

craiganderson said ....just FYI....RocketLauncher mounts/unmounts into Daemon Tools very easily ..again..just FYI
Yes, from all the frontends i used so far, RocketLauncher is the most compatible/error free. All these .ahk configuration files really do work (most of the time). Heck, i even managed to make the RetroArch MESS core to work with this! Even though i don't have the softilst roms. I can't even make the standalone RetroArch itself to work with this core, even though it was made for it :P

• 7 months later...
On 6/1/2015 at 2:47 PM, bd00 said:

Add your Saturn games as you would any other ROMs but don't set SSF as the emulator. Instead create a batch file and use that batch file as the emulator in LaunchBox. In the batch file put this:

@echo off start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount 0, %1% start /wait "" "SSF.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0

Change the path to DTLite.exe if it differs from what I typed above.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to ask:  Should I place that new batch file in the same folder as my SSF.exe installation, or will it work regardless?  Also, what should I name the file?  I'm a real noob here lol.  Thanks so much for posting this!

Edited by bujinkanrn

Looks like it since no exact location is specified for SSF.exe. You should try it anyways see what happens. And you can name your batch file whatever you like. Probably something easily identifiable like SSF.bat

Also just to chime in with Daemon Tools, yeah they have been changing the commands around with the later versions. No idea why.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

i dont know if anyone still follows this topic, but i just tried to create a batch file but no luck as well. it opens the cmd, opens daemons tools but does'nt do any thing else from here. as far as the bat file  im sure i have the directories correct but its not doing the mounting or starting the SSF program

my batch is as follows

@echo off
"C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -unmount 0
"C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -mount 0,
"D:\Roms\Sega Saturn\Roms\Alien Trilogy (USA).cue"
"D:\Emulators\SSF LB\SSF.exe"

ive changed the 0 to 1 or 2 also but still no luck. what am i doing wrong here. cud anyone help?

Pics Are Below

Untitled.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

I don't know if this is still applicable to Windows 10 and Daemon Tools but here is the bat file I used to use with Windows 7 and 8. I seem to recall people saying there were problems with Win 10 and DT. I cannot confirm this though since I no longer use SSF or Daemon Tools.

@echo off
set game=%1%
set daemon="C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe"
set emu="H:\Emulation\Emulators\SSF\SSF.exe"

%daemon% -mount 0, %game%
start /wait "" %emu%

%daemon% -unmount 0 

ok we got somewhere there. this time it booted the black cmd, then daemon tools, and It Booted SSF This Time. but it still didnt mount the game. so its like one step left. is it because i didnt put the game in the bat description u made? i changed it to look like this:

@echo off
set game=%1%
set daemon="C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe"
set emu="D:\Emulators\SSF LB\SSF.exe"

start /wait "" %emu%

%daemon% -unmount 0 

where do i insert the game directory to mount in this equation?

Edited by Cnells2000

I'm not sure if just double clicking the bat itself outside of Launchbox will do anything but having it set as an emulator in Launchbox it will pass all the necessary stuff to the bat file, mount the disk and run the game, then when you close the game it auto unmounts the disk image.

ok setting it to launchbox performs the same action so it has to be altered to load one game by each bat. how would i go about doing inserting this with this equation? for example D:/Roms/Sega Saturn/Roms/alien trilogy (Usa).cue

@echo off
set game=%1%
set daemon="C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe"
set emu="D:\Emulators\SSF LB\SSF.exe"

start /wait "" %emu%

%daemon% -unmount 0

I was guessing i had to put the rom path in between %1%? Lol. I know im wrong as hell.

If this works and mounts it, im going to create like 32 .bat files for the each game and set it.

BTW, I Appreciate u helping me so far.

Edited by Cnells2000

yes we are! but since that method is doing everything but mounting it in launchbox, how would i go about it as above sir?

i dont mind making a bat for each individual when all i have to change on the equation is the rom name

Edited by Cnells2000

There is always the possibility that SSF, Daemon Tools and Windows 10 do not work together properly anymore. I do seem to recall people talking about issues with it but I have not tested it out because I have long since ditched SSF for my Saturn emulation in favour of Mednafen.

Yeah it's a pretty CPU intensive emulator, I have an AMD 8350 @ 4 GHz and it runs really nicely.

SSF does have the advantage of being faster and less picky about the disk images but at the cost of not quite as good of emulation, extra input lag and having to deal with disk mounting.