LaunchBox Community Forums

Large Library - Slow Performance

Bil

Hi, I have been using LaunchBox for awhile now and have recently upgraded to premium v5.0 beta 5. From reading some threads and posts, I have gathered that having a large library will effect the performance of LaunchBox. I have experienced this myself in three key areas: 1. Option Menu takes around 15 seconds to appear (12 seconds to exit it) 2. Game Edit Menu takes around 15 seconds to appear (12 seconds to exit it) 3. Launching a game takes around 30+ seconds I have adjusted the RAM cache, disabled gamepad input and do not use the sidebar counts, but performance is the same. Is there anything else I can try?

Bil said Hi, I have been using LaunchBox for awhile now and have recently upgraded to premium v5.0 beta 5. From reading some threads and posts, I have gathered that having a large library will effect the performance of LaunchBox. I have experienced this myself in three key areas: 1. Option Menu takes around 15 seconds to appear (12 seconds to exit it) 2. Game Edit Menu takes around 15 seconds to appear (12 seconds to exit it) 3. Launching a game takes around 30+ seconds I have adjusted the RAM cache, disabled gamepad input and do not use the sidebar counts, but performance is the same. Is there anything else I can try?
How many games do you have added? Edit: Also, I just did a bit of testing. Editing a game does take a bit to pop up. This is most likely just a side effect of the Library and no amount of fixes or hardware tweaks, besides code fixes may help this.

I have over 22,000 games in my library, as I want to use LaunchBox as a Retro games collection. My machine specs are: Windows 8.1 64bit Dual Core E6500 @3.30Ghz 8GB RAM Radeon R9 280 Garphics Card (3GB) SSD 128GB drive (system) 4TB SATA drive (this is where I have LaunchBox installed)

Bil said I have over 22,000 games in my library, as I want to use LaunchBox as a Retro games collection. My machine specs are: Windows 8.1 64bit Dual Core E6500 @3.30Ghz 8GB RAM Radeon R9 280 Garphics Card (3GB) SSD 128GB drive (system) 4TB SATA drive (this is where I have LaunchBox installed)
Simple by product of size then. That is my honest take, and I have about 10k.

Okay, sure. That is probably pushing it. I work on improving performance all the time, but that is a big challenge for such a graphical frontend. I suspect in your case that your CPU is the bottleneck here. I'll see if I can get back to performance for large libraries soon. In the mean time, the only thing I can suggest to help speed things up would be to use separate instances of LaunchBox for each platform. I know @bd00 has done this in the past, and used another instance of LaunchBox to "launch" all the sub-instances. This is far from ideal, but that's all we've got for the moment for such large collections. However, I can say that upgrading your hardware (specifically your CPU) would do wonders for improving performance, of course.

Jason Carr said Okay, sure. That is probably pushing it. I work on improving performance all the time, but that is a big challenge for such a graphical frontend. I suspect in your case that your CPU is the bottleneck here. I'll see if I can get back to performance for large libraries soon. In the mean time, the only thing I can suggest to help speed things up would be to use separate instances of LaunchBox for each platform. I know @bd00 has done this in the past, and used another instance of LaunchBox to "launch" all the sub-instances. This is far from ideal, but that's all we've got for the moment for such large collections. However, I can say that upgrading your hardware (specifically your CPU) would do wonders for improving performance, of course.
Assuming the CPU Chipset on your board allows for an update. I run an i7 930 2.8Ghz (Gen 1) and I am getting similar hiccups. I would be able to quantify if a faster CPU will help when I can OverClock it when I can afford a new fan. Ultimately though, I still think that hardware upgrades would be minimal increments in performance. I was thinking about it, the most likely best setup would be Internal non-OS SSD on SATA3 (Later Generation). 2-3GB of RAM allocation on preferably an 8GB total system at at least 1600mhz, and a Quadcore 3Ghz - 3.2Ghz. This for libraries at 10k+.

Jason Carr said Brad, upgrades from an i7 would probably be a minimal increase. But upgrades from that E6500 should be much more significant.
Well, i7 First Gen which is extremely lacking at this point compared to a 3rd or 4th Gen i7 should show an increase. This would also allow me to have SATA3 and higher clock ram because I would need to change my motherboard. Also, Something else I can recommend ... maybe is to change the priority of the Process. I would do this one setting value at a time, and be careful because if you set it too high it could force a restart. More annoying than anything. Run LaunchBox then Open Task Manager and go to the Details pane from the top. Find LaunchBox, right click it and 'Set Priority'. Try increasing it one value at a time, and I wouldn't set it too high...

I did see the thread about split systems by @bd000 - https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/automated-platforms-split-script and was going to try it, but the link is no longer available. (I will ask bd000 in his thread, if he still has it).

Is there any chance that split systems could be added to LaunchBox natively in a future release? Having used bd000's script (which is great), and started editing and adding any missing images for games. Am I right in thinking that the changes that I have made in each separate platform instance of LB. Those changes would not be able to be re-integrated back into the main LB?

• 2 months later...
Bil said Hi, I have been using LaunchBox for awhile now and have recently upgraded to premium v5.0 beta 5. From reading some threads and posts, I have gathered that having a large library will effect the performance of LaunchBox. I have experienced this myself in three key areas: 1. Option Menu takes around 15 seconds to appear (12 seconds to exit it) 2. Game Edit Menu takes around 15 seconds to appear (12 seconds to exit it) 3. Launching a game takes around 30+ seconds I have adjusted the RAM cache, disabled gamepad input and do not use the sidebar counts, but performance is the same. Is there anything else I can try?
I actually got better performance on said operations after significantly increasing the ram cache, set at 2 gb used to be 512 mb. though it is still slow...

• 3 years later...

Any news on this? My Launchbox has gotten extremely slow... When I lauch BigBox the startup video starts almost instantly, when it is done, there is a pause for litt over one minute, then the GUI starts.

49k games now, but I'm slowly moving my hyperspin setup I have been working on since 2014. So I will get more.

The computer I use is this one:
https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/ROG_GR6/

16GB ram, 256GB SSD for OS, 2TB SSHD for Launchbox, 10TB USB3.0 drive for games.

Hyperspin runs great on the same computer with a bigger library.

1 hour ago, Cirion said:

Any news on this? My Launchbox has gotten extremely slow... When I lauch BigBox the startup video starts almost instantly, when it is done, there is a pause for litt over one minute, then the GUI starts.

49k games now, but I'm slowly moving my hyperspin setup I have been working on since 2014. So I will get more.

The computer I use is this one:
https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/ROG_GR6/

16GB ram, 256GB SSD for OS, 2TB SSHD for Launchbox, 10TB USB3.0 drive for games.

Hyperspin runs great on the same computer with a bigger library.

This thread is over 2 years old and LaunchBox performance has been improved many times over since it was last updated. From what I can tell here, it sounds like you're referring primarily to startup time. The first time Big Box or LaunchBox starts after adding systems or playlists, it may take longer, but subsequent startups should be shorter. It's caching playlist results during this period in order to ensure that performance is smooth in the GUI.

Yes, I'm referring to startup time, and you are right subsequent startups are a bit faster, but not much. What bugs me is the extremely long time it takes from the startup video to the GUI.

I would actually prefere if it tok a minute before the startup video started, instead of instant startup video then extremely long black silent pause.
That pause, makes everything look unfinished.

I deleted all startup videos, and now I get just a Big Box logo, with the same looooooooooooooooooooong pause then bigbox starts. It's still a bit slow to start the Arcade video.

I then deleted all playlists from the playlist folder, and now I have the same  looooooooooooooooooooong pause then bigbox starts. But the Arcade video starts instantly after that.