LaunchBox Community Forums

Question regarding Big Box mode + controller

marcelo.magri

I could up until the last beta update. I was assuming the issue with it not working after that update was me plugging in the controller after loading launchbox, but I can give it another test. Edit: Just confirming that Big Box 360 controls are still not functioning for me after the beta update.

Jason Carr said Controllers should definitely work. I use my 360 controller for pretty much all testing, so that's pretty close to a given. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.
X360 controllers work fine for me.

marcelo.magri said I tried and it worked like a charm. Next step is to find some way of starting Launchbox w/ the guide button. If anyone has a AHK script (or any other way of doing that), please let me know Laugh
That would be awesome, currently it opens Steam for me. Will look into this and get back.

Oh man, back when I originally implemented controller support, I tried for days to make that happen. Apparently that darn guide button is some kind of trade secret or something. I think they make it difficult to do on purpose. I eventually found a way to do it, but would have had to create a separate app in C++ just to make it happen. I didn't try AutoHotkey at the time, though. Let me know if anyone figures it out, I'll integrate it into LaunchBox in a heartbeat. I want that for my own personal use. The other thing that would be nice, is being able to use that as the "hold button" for other AutoHotkey functions.

Jason Carr said Oh man, back when I originally implemented controller support, I tried for days to make that happen. Apparently that darn guide button is some kind of trade secret or something. I think they make it difficult to do on purpose. I eventually found a way to do it, but would have had to create a separate app in C++ just to make it happen. I didn't try AutoHotkey at the time, though. Let me know if anyone figures it out, I'll integrate it into LaunchBox in a heartbeat. I want that for my own personal use. The other thing that would be nice, is being able to use that as the "hold button" for other AutoHotkey functions.
But it might interfere with Steam because If I recall, Steam does use that button for its Big Picture Mode?

Good point. Actually, I was thinking of it to start Launchbox from the guide button because I don't want to take my keyboard to the living room when playing on the TV, so I'd be using that on the desktop - therefore my mention to AHK. Think I'll just make a SELECT + R2 for this, maybe. R3 is being already used to alt+F4 =P

You guys might not be interested since it is a paid application, but controller companion is available on steam and allows you to map the guide button to whatever you please. I have it set up to open Big Box mode. It has a feature to unbind all other buttons which I use so it doesn't want to act as a mouse all the time. You can also set it to have different profiles for different applications. It's a neat, though imperfect solution. It is 2 dollars I believe, which was worth it to me just to use the guide button.

@reely989 Great info, I will try it out. Thanks. . @Jason I found a couple of things, though judging by what you said, I doubt they will be any help. But just in case... https://github.com/DieKatzchen/GuideButtonPoller/blob/master/GuideButtonPoller.cpp http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26792.0 (Reply #5 is where it gets interesting) This guy has an app that utilises the guide button. The app itself is not great, but he has shared the source. http://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/1goval/any_way_to_map_the_middle_xbox_360_button/camujj7 Finally, Pinnacle Game Profiler is like Xpadder, however it also allows you to map the guide button. http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/ Also, Brad has a good point regarding Steam BPM. That would definitely need investigating further.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm using Big Box 6.9 Beta 8 with xbox360 controller.

When I map buttons at options>Controller Buttons, it doesn't detect LT+RT and Right Thumb Stick axis.

I was going to use them for increase volume and stuff. Is this normal or there any workaround? 

Thank you guys

Edited by xmas