LaunchBox Community Forums

How to launch specific controller configs with Dolphin?

CrystalForce

I would like to know how I can launch games with specific controller configs for Dolphin, like if I wanted to play Super Smash Bros. Melee with different controls than Super Mario Sunshine. I don't know if this counts as an issue, but I figured this would be an appropriate section to post in.

I dont think you need to set it in launchbox, when you change the configurations per game in dolphin they will be stored and used by the emulator as ini files. In dolphin right click the game title - Properties - edit config and it will open the ini file where you can add the controller. Here´s the original thread over dolphin.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-howto-using-gameini-settings-per-game
I will try it over the weekend and post the results.

• 1 year later...

Ok so i Have to put one of these lines in the ini file in the game configuration ?

I will test it.

Choosing Gamecube Port device per game (standard controller, gba, etc.):
These options can be set since dolphin 4.0-587 and won't work with previous revisions. Keyboard was implemented after 4.0-5190.
[Controls]
PadType0 = 0 (will set port1 to "Nothing", 5 for "GBA", 6 for "Standard Controller", 7 for "Keyboard", 8 for "Steering Wheel", 9 for "Dance Mat", 10 for "TaruKonga Bongos" and 11 for "AM Baseboard")
PadType1 = 0 (will set port2 to "Nothing", 5 for "GBA", 6 for "Standard Controller", 7 for "Keyboard", 8 for "Steering Wheel", 9 for "Dance Mat" and 10 for "TaruKonga Bongos")
PadType2 = 0 (will set port3 to "Nothing", 5 for "GBA", 6 for "Standard Controller", 7 for "Keyboard", 8 for "Steering Wheel", 9 for "Dance Mat" and 10 for "TaruKonga Bongos")
PadType3 = 0 (will set port4 to "Nothing", 5 for "GBA", 6 for "Standard Controller", 7 for "Keyboard", 8 for "Steering Wheel", 9 for "Dance Mat" and 10 for "TaruKonga Bongos")

Choosing Wiimote source per game (emulated wiimote, real wiimote, etc.):
These options can be set since dolphin 4.0-575 and won't work with previous revisions. Wiimote source number starts from 0 for wiimote 1, 1 for wiimote 2, etc.
[Controls]
WiimoteSource0 = 0 (will set wiimote1 to "None", 1 for "Emulated Wiimote", 2 for "Real Wiimote", 3 for "Hybrid Wiimote")
WiimoteSource1 = 0 (will set wiimote2 to "None", 1 for "Emulated Wiimote", 2 for "Real Wiimote", 3 for "Hybrid Wiimote")
WiimoteSource2 = 0 (will set wiimote3 to "None", 1 for "Emulated Wiimote", 2 for "Real Wiimote", 3 for "Hybrid Wiimote")
WiimoteSource3 = 0 (will set wiimote4 to "None", 1 for "Emulated Wiimote", 2 for "Real Wiimote", 3 for "Hybrid Wiimote")
WiimoteSourceBB = 0 (will set balance board to "None", 2 for "Real Balance Board") 

Choosing Control Profiles per game:
First you should have a control profile saved for each gamecube controller or Wiimote. For example lets say you have created Wiimote profiles named "Sideways1" up to "Sideways4"  for Wii games that use the sideways wiimote handling(donkey kong, kirby games, etc.). In order to load those profiles per game you should put:
[Controls]
WiimoteProfile1 = Sideways1 => You can put any profile name you want to put here instead. This loads wiimote profile for player 1.
WiimoteProfile2 = Sideways2 => You can put any profile name you want to put here instead. This loads wiimote profile for player 2.
WiimoteProfile3 = Sideways3 => You can put any profile name you want to put here instead. This loads wiimote profile for player 3.
WiimoteProfile4 = Sideways4 => You can put any profile name you want to put here instead. This loads wiimote profile for player 4.

For gamecube controller profiles you should put:
[Controls]
PadProfile1 = Your profile name here. This loads gcpad profile for player 1.
PadProfile2 = Your profile name here. This loads gcpad profile for player 2.
PadProfile3 = Your profile name here. This loads gcpad profile for player 3.
PadProfile4 = Your profile name here. This loads gcpad profile for player 4.

copied from this page:  https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-howto-using-gameini-settings-per-game

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

So I've been trying this. It kind of work, but not exactly as it should...

When you open a game's properties (right click -> properties), you can edit the persitent ini file (in Dolphin\Sys\GameSettings\), as well as the user ini file (in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\GameSettings\).

If you edit the first file and add your [Controls] options there, it will work. But since it's in the dolphin install directory, you'll overwrite them everytime you update dolphin.

Now with the user ini file, there is a problem. When you click 'edit configuration', the file is created and opens in your text editor, you can edit and save the file, but it's deleted as soon as you leave the games properties.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Using latest version of Dolphin (as of 22 APR 2018 that is 5.0-7062) I've had success doing the following:

First, add a blank text file to your Dolphin directory called "portable.txt". This will force Dolphin to save all the config files to the Dolphin directory under a folder named "User" rather than in the windows user documents directory.

Once you've done this and run Dolphin once, you can copy your old files from your Documents directory (My Documents\Dolphin Emulator\*.*) to the dolphin\User directory that was created to make it portable.

Next, create and save your per-game controller settings:

1.  Under "Controllers - Wii Remote 1 (Configure)" set your configuration for the game. 
  2. Save the configuration profile by giving it a name (preferably either generic i.e. "Sideways" or "vertical" or related to the specific game) and press "save"
  3. Right click on the game in the Dolphin menu list of games and select "Properties"
    1. Note that you must have specified the game directories in Dolphin's settings for it to find and list the games!
  4. In the game properties menu there is a button in the lower left labeled "Edit User Config". Select that to edit the config for that game.
    1. Note that you must specify your text editor in Dolphin's settings for it to open the .ini (text based) file for editing.
  5. There may already be some pre-set conditions. Just add the control settings at the end, or overwrite anything in [Controls] if already there.
  6. The text you add will be [Controls] on one line and the next will be the WiimoteProlfileX (where X= the player # of the controller you are setting) = config file you set in step 2.
    1. As @StuDentBR stated, the instructions are located at How-to set game ini settings per game
    2. Do not add the .ini to the end of the config when you type it. Just the name of the config file.
    3. Basically you just paste the following into the ini file you've opened for editing:
[Controls]
WiimoteProfile1 = DKCountry

Replace the name after "WiimoteProfile1" (I used DKCountry in the example) with whatever you saved the controller config as in step 2 above.

Edited by timekills
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am attempting to use this but still having a problem that I don't see covered. I have a Steering Wheel that I changed from Device #2 to Device #1 so when I launch a Wii game through launchbox to race it says [disconnected] Xinput/1/Wheel. I want it to default to the correct device which is Xinput/0/Wheel, but don't know how. Even in the link I I don't see where you can choose devices for Wii.