LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Big Box videos not working on my new Media PC

samfisher5986

I installed Launchbox on my Windows 10 media PC and even though it finds my videos as indicated in the game settings they don't play. It does give me the stop/start playing buttons for my videos in big box. If I copy the launchbox folder to my main PC the videos play indicating its something with the operating system. I reran the launchbox installer administrator to make sure the directx installs, I ran the direct 9 web installer just in case. I can open the .mp4 videos without issues using the windows 10 default media player. I also installed the K-Lite codec pack just in case, no change. The only major difference I can see between the two computers is that the media PC has the Intel 530 integrated graphics, I do have the drivers installed for those.

Okay, just to confirm, is this a Windows 10 beta version, or is it the official release? I did some further research, here are some things I've discovered. First off, if by chance you're trying to run Big Box over Remote Desktop (probably not likely), it probably won't work. Just had to say it just in case. Secondly, I'm not exactly sure, but I think Windows Media Player is actually different than the Windows 10 default media player. It's a different app at least. Try typing Windows Media Player (exactly) into the Start menu to load it up specifically, and see if it will play the files. It should be the classic light-blue interface and not the new "Movies & TV" app with a grey background that is the new Windows 10 default. I'm honestly not sure if it makes a difference, but it'd be good to know.

SentaiBrad said It still comes installed with Windows 10, its just not the default anymore. Well it came still installed for me. I didn't carry over any of my programs when I did the upgrade. Windows 10 Home or Pro?
Windows 10 Pro. It was a fresh install from a USB stick. Very strange as I'm guessing my main PC had it by default.

I did the upgrade Windows 10 Pro, but I didn't carry over any install settings, so it was like a fresh install. I did however do K-Lite Codec and never touched WMP. I wonder if installing that activates something that trying to run WMP or have it installed does? Hard to test when I had it installed anyways, so I have no clue. I just know I never touch WMP. Not since 2011.

Its possible that when installing the K-lite codec pack that especially if it is the full pack or mega that he had set Windows Media Player Classic that comes with K-Lite as the default media player and didnt associate the installed codecs with Windows Media Player which would account for the videos not playing until the codecs were associated with Windows Media Player.

It shouldn't matter. I don't think the user with the problems used K-Lite anyways. Video and Audio is codec based except for a few things on the OS level that require Internet Explorer or WMP for example. He didn't have WMP installed on his new W10 Pro install. My theory is, do the video's for LaunchBox require WMP or the codecs required to play the video. If they're not .wmv files, then they're not Windows specific video files. Even if they were .wmv K-Lite covers everything. For the record, I do the Full install for K-Lite and update it regularly.

I have VLC which plays virtually everything. However, I'm still back in the good (bad) old days of Vista SP2 32 bit, and so I'm stuck with WMP 11 which doesn't play mp4 videos and as a result BigBox won't play them either. Rather than play around with 3rd party codecs I batch converted my mp4 Emumovies game videos to wmv format which WMP 11 recognizes. The converted file sizes are larger, but they play perfectly in BigBox. Just goes to show that where there's a need there's a way!

All you would need to do to fix Codecs is just install K-Lite and let it do the standard install. You can even tell it to keep VLC as the default. If there are any problems with the codecs or outdated ones the installer will also ask if you want to fix them. It's actually really simple. http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm

Sigh, figures. Unfortunately getting videos working with anything else is likely to be a royal pain, especially to keep them compatible with the transitions. That's the biggest thing. Hardware acceleration and the transitions are fully supported with the Windows stuff, but other options aren't likely to support it.

SentaiBrad said Well I for one vote to see if we can move away from WMP being a dependency? Especially if its going to be iffy on if the user has WMP installed or enabled? We can just link to the Standard K-Lite pack. Might even improve performance.
Personally I think a codec should be picked and then natively implemented in the app. Why? Because Launchbox IMO is about polish, and you want the videos to work perfectly without delay, lag etc as well as not relying on outside applications.

Unfortunately only implementing a single codec means massive compatibility issues. If we did that, we'd have angry people left and right, so that's not really an option. As it stands, the vast majority of people have no problem playing their videos (or are able to solve the problem relatively easily).