LaunchBox Community Forums

LEDBlinky Support

Jason Carr

10 hours ago, arzoo said:

LaunchBox need to include 'mame' somewhere in the name of the emulator (the value passed to LEDBlinky). If it's not possible to alter the LaunchBox configuration then this might have to be an enhancement added (to LauchBox) - a way to designate an emulator as MAME.

That is what I thought.  The challenge is how to assign 'MAME' to the variable that is passed when the listed system (left column of LaunchBox) is not named 'Arcade' even though that system may have MAME assigned as the emulator.  It took me awhile to troubleshoot since I was tested CPS games.  As soon as I switched to something listed under 'Arcade,' LEDBlinky was able to detect the rom and light the buttons accordingly.  I can't see any menu item that lets me change non-Arcade systems (even those using MAME as an emulator).  Additionally, I cannot actually see the word 'MAME' anywhere in the 'Arcade' settings or associated roms.

15 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks @chadmoe1; we do need to add a way to support this properly. Right now it's only working for the Arcade platform. I'll add that to my short list.

Awesome, thanks @Jason Carr!  I'm glad that the observed effect has a known cause -- I was worried it was an issue with how I set things up.  All of the work you have done has been excellent.  I've watched some of the working sessions you have posted, and it is great to see how collaborative this project is.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Sithel said:

Hmm, I have it all up and running but don't see any set pattern when I go into attract mode. Must be a setting I'm missing in led blinky.

On the "FE Options" tab you should see a section at the bottom for Front-End Screen Saver; select the "Screen Saver Animation" and you should be good to go.

Is anyone else having problems with LB/BB, LEDBlinky and the "Windows" platform?   ON my setup, LEDBlinky works with all platforms except 'Windows" (which is mostly a Steam library import).  I setup a default color map to apply to all games, that works fine when you call it via command line "ledblinky.exe windows windows", but LB/BB never seems to send the "start game" command.

I opened an Issue tracker for it awhile back ( Issue #2216 ), but it doens't seem to have gotten any traction.  I'm wondering if its just my setup, or a bug in LB/BB itself?

thanks

21 hours ago, Fursphere said:

Is anyone else having problems with LB/BB, LEDBlinky and the "Windows" platform?   ON my setup, LEDBlinky works with all platforms except 'Windows" (which is mostly a Steam library import).  I setup a default color map to apply to all games, that works fine when you call it via command line "ledblinky.exe windows windows", but LB/BB never seems to send the "start game" command.

I opened an Issue tracker for it awhile back ( Issue #2216 ), but it doens't seem to have gotten any traction.  I'm wondering if its just my setup, or a bug in LB/BB itself?

thanks

I tried this last night with a few steam games under the windows platform and getting the same result as you. No leds come on when the game runs and I set it up on a per game base under windows in the ledblindly controls. I'm not sure if it's a led blinky issue or launchbox. Maybe @arzoo or @Jason Carr can confirm?

On 2/5/2017 at 0:50 PM, Fursphere said:

thanks

Turn on the Debug Log option, run LB/BB and a Windows game or two, then email me back the debug.ZIP file and I'll take a look.

Edited by arzoo

17 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hmm, looking at the code I don't see why the Windows platform would be an issue. That said, sadly I don't have an LEDBlinky cabinet on hand for the moment. Any ideas @arzoo?

Hey Jason. @Fursphere emailed me his latest log and everything is working as expected except when he starts a Windows games in which case LEDBlinky never receives a Game Start (3) event from BB. The log shows the Emulator Selected event for [Windows] and the Game Selected event for a windows game, but the next event after that is Game Quit? I looked over my code to make sure I'm not ignoring "Windows" as an emulator name but there's nothing like that. So I think this must be an issue on the BB side. Let me know if there's anything more I can do to help.

My steam collection isn't very big and I did find a work around for ledblinky to get steam games working under the windows platform. It does involve editing the location path to the .exe steam game and making sure in the ledblinkycontrols config that the rom/game name is the same as the .exe. Doing it this way works for me but glad there is a fix coming. I also use the emulation tab, create an emulator the same name of the game and point that to the exe so that i can use the AutoHotKey Script tab in there to adjust game controls. Some steam game are just a nightmare to setup for an arcade cabinet.

6 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for clarifying @arzoo; I think I found the issue. It looks like it was specific to Steam games (games that use a URL-type path instead of an actual file). I'll have it fixed for the next beta. :)

Just updated to the new beta 7.7 beta 9 and it looks like its still not working.   Now when I start a game, instead of nothing at all, it flashes the controls on for a brief second, then they go dark again.

The LEDBlinky debug logs show the GAME START command (yay!), then immediately the GAME END command.   Same second in the logs..

1 minute ago, Fursphere said:

Just updated to the new beta 7.7 beta 9 and it looks like its still not working.   Now when I start a game, instead of nothing at all, it flashes the controls on for a brief second, then they go dark again.

The LEDBlinky debug logs show the GAME START command (yay!), then immediately the GAME END command.   Same second in the logs..

Hmm, that makes sense since Steam games are launched via the steam ID, so there's no way for me to tell when the process ends (really it doesn't end at all because of Steam). So hmm, any idea how other frontends do this @arzoo or if it even works at all with Steam games? I could probably just disable the game end command for Steam games, but obviously that's not ideal either.