LaunchBox Community Forums

LEDBlinky Support

Jason Carr

Hi Everyone, I have LEDBlinky working very nicely with MAME in launchbox. I'm wondering about my other platforms. I would like to use the controls editor to set LED's for consoles like NES, SNES, etc. I'm using retroarch, but can't get LEDBlinky to have anything show up in the controls editor to edit. Looking for suggestions or options to pass along some info using RA from Launchbox. Thanks. Jesse

• 1 month later...
So, you got Launchbox + LEDBlinky + MAME working? I have tried all the frontends and I can only get MAME + LEDBlinky working with MALA. I use RL for every other emu launched in MALA Suggestion regarding the question about using other emulators with LEDBlinky: I create a new rocketlauncher.exe for each emu simply by copying the original rocketauncher.exe and renaming to "rocketlauncher-emuname.exe" Then, the emulator executable (that MALA looks for) for Sega Genesis, for example, is "rocketlaunchersegagenesis.exe" This allows me to the create a default set of control lights for Sega Genesis in the LEDBlinky controls editor. The issue, I think, is that LEDBlinky can only monitor one frontend at a time and one emu at a time. So it cannot light MALA and then light RL (as a frontend). It can light MALA then RL (as an emulator call). I just could never get LB to light much of anything in Gameex or HS or RetroFE.

• 2 weeks later...
Jason , Any news on LedBlinky Support in beta? @DrEvil , Yes, I have just a bat file launching ledblinky.exe 1, then bigbox. MAME games work great. For other systems, I have 'additional apps' configured to start ledblinky with a param for the name of the platform which maps the correct leds to buttons. There is a new tool that someone built out on the hyperspin forum called RocketBlinky which generates the ledblinkycontrols.xml based on your layout for other platforms like NES, SNES etc. I only have a few games setup to launch additional apps because there is no bulk edit for additional apps. If someone has any creative ideas on how to bulk edit the xml file for additional apps, I'm all ears. I'd really just like to see LEDBlinky and Launchbox work nicer together. I'd hate to have to go Launchbox to RL just to have led's when we are soooo close with just Launchbox. Thanks. Jesse

• 4 weeks later...
Jason, Adding the possibility to pass the configured rom-file (either with or without the extension) to the dialog of the Additional Apps could provide great(er) flexibility. Then people can pick that up in whatever tool/batch-file they want to run before or after.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Jason mentioned that he still plans on adding LED blindly support in one of his last Dev session. He is currently looking into buying a bar top cabinet that has LED blinky so that he can properly test this feature. Im sure if you donated a cabinet he would start ASAP ;)

I have an LED-supported bartop ordered from Monster Arcades. Not sure how long it will take to get it yet but you can bet LEDblinky will be my top priority when I do. I'll probably work on it before I get it if I can, but it will be hard to test without the cab. I have a great upright cabinet from Rec Room Masters already but unfortunately it doesn't (yet) have any LED buttons. Sorry for the delays on this one guys. :)

Honestly, it's not necessary to have a cab with LEDs to test LEDBlinky - any supported LED controller (Ultimarc, GGG, Howler) can be purchased along with a few LEDs to be wired up. It's also possible that the LEDBlinky commands can be added to RL and myself or someone else with an LED'd control panel can do the testing (this is how we handled it with HS). Just a thought.

Sure, thanks @arzoo. It's not an excuse as to why I haven't worked on it yet, it's really just been in competition with so many things. It's always easier for me to work on things that I'm passionate about though (of course), so my only point is that now that I have my own cab on its way, it's definitely going to happen soon. I'm probably not going to wait to integrate it until I get the cab.

• 2 months later...