LaunchBox Community Forums

Exiting emulators with Xbox 360 controller

Chaosmountain

Hey all So I am not sure if this should be here or the "Features" forum but here goes.... I have my wireless 360 controllers set up to play in my emus, MAME, ePSXe, snes9x, etc. and run LB but does anyone know how to set it up so I can use one of the buttons on the 360 controller to exit the emu's and return to LB ? You can do it in Hyperspin and I have tried to set up xpadder but when in LB it does not seem to work. I always end up having to use the "ESC" button on the keyboard to exit the EMU's and return to LB but I want to be able to be keyboard free when in LB and this one thing is the only thing standing in my way. Or maybe there should be some kind of shortcut/script added to LB to allow you to set one of the buttons on a controller to the ESC button on the keyboard, like the L3 button on a 360 or PS2 controller. Unless there is something already there and I am just missing it ? Thanks for any answers or insight into solving this issue.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same issue. It seems like it's a issue per emulator that needs to be configured. My guess is that configuring XPadder with each emulator to make the escape key a hotkey input (for example hold Select and click L, LB, R, & RB at the same time) to exit the game is probably the solution. Anyone else know another solution besides this one? Maybe, as a community, we should create a uniform "exit emulator hotkey command" like I just mentioned and make it compatible for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 controllers In XPadder. Then we'd have to configure the XPadder profile to recognize this command in all of the emulators that we use. Anyone else got a better idea? ;)

I do have Premium, or the paid version, for about 4 months now at least. I will have to check it out some more in depth tomorrow. I know you can set up a shortcut within LB to to exit LB back to windows but I have not found a way to exit any emu back to LB with a game controller, only the ESC key on a keyboard. Your reply was very vague lordmonkus and gave no actual details on how to do what I asked. Just saying you can fly to the moon does not tell anyone how to actually fly to the moon!!! LOL!!!

@Chaosmountain I didn't think LaunchBox had the power to exit out of any emulator. That seems like a function of the emulator itself. Personally, I want to use Big Box as a plug and play home entertainment center. Meaning no external keyboard. Many Big Box users probably feel the same way. It seems like XPadder is the only solution... Unless someone knows another workaround?

Use the Controller Automation under the options in LaunchBox and BigBox, that is how we handle exiting out of the emulator. This has been in LaunchBox for quite a while now, but recently changed names to this. We use AutoHotKey as a base which is more powerful than Xpadder. I don't personally use it, but there are many threads on the forums about it, and I know for a fact it works. Some emulators you need to use nogui command lines or check the settings to see if you can turn off the exit confirmation but it generally works great.

@SentaiBrad Sweet. I'm going to have to try that out. Brad do you know where the forum topic for this exists? I'd like to read up on it. Maybe this is asking too much, but can you show this feature at the end of your next emulator tutorial? It seems like it'd be a great way to not only showcase how this works, but also as a way to advertise a Big Box feature. That might convert more premium licenses Laugh

Controller Automation probably needs to exist on it's own as a feature specific tutorial. I wanted to cover all the systems mostly first, but it's clear that tutorials for specific features probably should take precedence at this point. I can't find the specific thread right now, our searching kind of sucks on the forums. However, the settings are there in the options for LB and BB and work by assigning the buttons to these functions. It used to be referred to just as AutoHotKey scripts (AHK) but has evolved a bit more. You can even supply more powerful AHK scripts if the user was so inclined.

Cool @SentaiBrad. Yeah a tutorial on this feature would definitely be great! Just a thought. Instead of creating a specific tutorial for premium features once every blue moon, why not just feature a 3-5 minutes mini tutorial at the end of every emulator tutorial showcasing a premium feature. Not only would you be able to stay on top of both your emulator tutorial log and your LaunchBox program tutorial log, but you'd also be able to advertise premium licenses at the end of each tutorial. For example the next video could showcase custom filters, the next one could be controller automation, and the one after that could be installing themes etc.

Okay, so I tried both "Close the Active Window" and "Show Launchbox" and neither worked and I don't know what other options would work ? I have tried so many settings under the different sections and I can not find any setting that will exit any emulator back to BigBox or LB. I mean with the 5000 options and all the things being worked on and upgraded you would think this would be one of the first options made to be easy and built in, with or without Xpadder. It is one function, a shortcut to the "ESC" button on the keyboard, there have been many others ?

Chaosmountain said Oy Vey!!! Confused
Basically you must first choose a botton for "Hold Button" (the "Hold Button" is the button that you have to hold to activate one of the other options below). Then choose another button to "Close the Active Window", and pressing these 2 buttons together you exit the emulator. I chose for example the buttons "Select (Back on Xbox Controller)" as the "Hold Button" and the Start button for the "Close the Active Window".

Cool. That seems simple enough @alissongamer. However, I have a couple questions: 1) Can you add multiple hold buttons? For example, I'd like to be able to hold Select, Start, L, LB, R, and RB (on an Xbox One controller) to exit games. The reason is because with so many emulators available, just a two key input could exit games that use both those key pressed together. 2) Does this configuration work for just player one? I know there is a feature in Big Box that allows only player one to navigate the menus. However, since we'd be using emulators when exiting, that feature may not be working once using the emulator. I just don't want the other players accidentally exiting games.

No and the controller implementation is limited it doesn't allow any thumb keys, triggers, d-pad or analog sticks so its limited to 8 buttons (I think you can use left and right) and one of those is the hold key. I have a BitBucket ticket suggesting that RetroArch style HotKey Enabling be implemented but it didn't gain any voter traction so it will most likely be ignored.