LaunchBox Community Forums

Coverflow and Intel HD 4000 is very slow / choppy

To clarify (sorry was running away so I had to respond fast), the GPU has the most significant affect on the performance, followed by the CPU. SSDs can help load times and such, but I have no doubt that the integrated graphics are the biggest issue in that situation (unless of course you're running a CPU that's ancient or something).

The Integrated Graphics portion is taking away from the CPU as well. You are having the CPU do two jobs, and neither of them well unfortunetly. The Integrated graphics are great for super tiny systems that don't need that power (which is not really for gaming), and Intel has made it better with each CPU, but it's unfortunetly not condusive to getting good performance out of anything really. If you have PC (not a laptop), I know that GTX 950's and 960's are half size cards and will give you performance comperable to a GTX 780Ti form what I've read (maybe as low as a 770 or as high as an 880, I don't exactly remember), and they are affordable. These are obviously not the best cards out there, but their power draw is rather low and their size is rather small if either of these things are a concern for you. If you have a laptop, or a netbook, then I am of less help here. I don't really play around with Laptops and I know Netbooks won't have a GPU option at all.

Just been hammering BigBox on my latop to see how it runs. With the following specs and settings, Big box cover flow seem to work perfectly fine. Obvious not as well as my Desktop PC, but still what I consider "normal" performance. Specs: Acer E1-571 i5 3210m @ 2.50 GHz 8GB RAM Intel HD Graphics 4000 - Driver version 10.18.10.4358 (21/12/2015) ** Intel HD Graphics control panel's "3D performance" set to Performance. And "Battery Mode" also set to Maximum Performance (I think this is overlooked by some Laptop gamers). Windows 10 on SSD but LaunchBox is on a the normal slow HDD (via optical bay caddy) though. Tips: * In BigBox, Image cover quality at Medium and having Fps at 30 seems to be a nice balance for this laptop. * Make sure your drivers are reasonably up to date and let your computer use everything it can to maximise perfomance in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. Capture.PNG

Well the HD 2500 is an older architecture than HD 4000, so then potentially the change in the Intel Control Panel can help, or the performance issues come from elsehwere. Otherhard or over zealous active scanning software? AV Software? The list can get to be pretty long with PC's

(First post : Hello !) Same issue here, around PNG wheel logo. But overall performance is pretty good. Only a few image jump occasionally. One solution would be to use the logo in SVG? Lighter than PNG and not size dependent. I tried, but this format is not supported by LaunchBox. I used a Intel NUC motherbord in my homemade bartop : - Windows 10 64bits - Core i5 4250U @1.3GHz (2 cores / 4 thread) - Intel HD Graphics 5000 - 8Go de DDR3 - SSD HardDrive Proper emulation by the way. The limits comes on PS2-Wii. Although some games run very well. (Sorry for my poor English Embarassed )

Welcome Viking! So unfortunetly SVG has two disadvantages that PNG currently wins out on. They are both lossless, and both do transparency well. However, SVG is Vector vs PNG's Raster image, which basically means Vector images are made up of lines rather than Pixels at a base level. While SVG's can scale to crazy sizes (up or down) and Raster images can really only feasibly go down, I can see why this would be a good choice. Because Vector graphics can scale though, you do need slightly more power to display the image as it's math and not pixels. We're not scaling them, but the amount of images we show could seriously make lag on lower end systems even worse. There is also an adoption problem with SVG. It's being used more and more, but PNG's are almost universal at this point, and I would even go so far as to say they've replaced Jpeg's as the standard image file. I am also not sure if LaunchBox / BigBox even has a Vector ready graphical engine. Vectors are made up of XML's more or less and can be edited via text to change something like color. However, the file needs to be read, then computations need to be made, then the image is displayed. Per performance, and file size for that matter, I did also find some tests that were made: "Just did some testing (no full research): I tested 23 icons in both svg and png. The svg's are quite simple and optimised. Total filesize of svg's was about 160% larger than png's (64x64px). Rendering of png's was way faster (especially on mobile devices)." So certainly, SVG files clearly are superior in quality for the end result, but they present a few problems that I don't think we're exactly equipped to dealing with yet.

Jason Carr said To clarify (sorry was running away so I had to respond fast), the GPU has the most significant affect on the performance, followed by the CPU. SSDs can help load times and such, but I have no doubt that the integrated graphics are the biggest issue in that situation (unless of course you're running a CPU that's ancient or something).
Thanks for the confirmation. The drive is a slower older 5200rpm. The CPU is an i7.