LaunchBox Community Forums

XBox One Controller issues may be fixed

Bedwyr

The latest Windows 10 update (KB3140768) according to a Kodi user seems to have fixed most or all of the issues regarding XBox One controllers. I've tried plugging one in and so far so good. Kodi responds normally with no inappropriate mapping or bizarre analog input behavior. Big Box likewise responds well and normally. I've tested Retroarch with a SNES core loading FFII and controls respond normally. This is in response to the weird remapping issue that came with the big wireless XB1 release in Oct or Nov. That update appears to have remapped control inputs to something distinct from the 360, notably changing the axes the L and R triggers are on causing unusual control responses and sometimes no control responses. This appears so far to have been fixed. I cannot speak to the nVidia issues in the other thread. That may be a different problem, perhaps unique to a recent video driver update. It's not clear to me what's happening. The Kodi thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=202869&page=5

Now if the worldwide hacker/dev community can come up with a Steam Controller wrapper for the Windows interface, we'd be all set. I won't hold out hope though. The updates on the the controller, in beta, are too frequent I bet for hackers to dedicate time to it risking a fix breaking. And Valve is on record wanting to open source as much of the controller's hardware and software as possible.

Bedwyr said The latest Windows 10 update (KB3140768) according to a Kodi user seems to have fixed most or all of the issues regarding XBox One controllers. I've tried plugging one in and so far so good. Kodi responds normally with no inappropriate mapping or bizarre analog input behavior. Big Box likewise responds well and normally. I've tested Retroarch with a SNES core loading FFII and controls respond normally. This is in response to the weird remapping issue that came with the big wireless XB1 release in Oct or Nov. That update appears to have remapped control inputs to something distinct from the 360, notably changing the axes the L and R triggers are on causing unusual control responses and sometimes no control responses. This appears so far to have been fixed. I cannot speak to the nVidia issues in the other thread. That may be a different problem, perhaps unique to a recent video driver update. It's not clear to me what's happening. The Kodi thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=202869&page=5
Sweet, ill try my wireless x1 controller +chatpad when i get home... alltho im still using kodi 15.something is it worth upgrading to 16?

Try one of the other ones. I can think of three, two are pay: - Joy2Key - Pinnacle/Padstarr (Padstarr is their latest) - Controller Companion (avail through Steam) I've tried almost all of them and would say that Pinnacle is likely the most flexible if you exclude AHK which is more scripting language than mapper. Controller Companion is my current favorite. I haven't pushed it to its limits, but very clean and well put together. Their keyboard solution is *sexy*. I'm using it to control Chrome as opened from Kodi and so far pretty happy. Just need to tweak it to allow it to send an alt-f4 signal so I don't have to un-fullscreen Chrome.

Mute64 said Yup sik, its now working with kodi, unfortunately it seams to be buggin out xpadder :(
Xpadder and many games from around 2010 year and before like Assassin's Creed 2 and NFS Hot Pursuit. They stutter a lot and are unplayable. Didn't happen before the update.

If anyone is ever looking for a gamepad mapper software, I've tried them all over the years, Pinnicle was great about 5 years ago, a couple years ago, Xpadder was king.... but man, nothing compares to Controller Companion. Spend the $3 and save yourself the trouble. It has Steam Workshop support, making it a breeze to grab a pre-made config for most popular games.

TheMadMan007 said If anyone is ever looking for a gamepad mapper software, I've tried them all over the years, Pinnicle was great about 5 years ago, a couple years ago, Xpadder was king.... but man, nothing compares to Controller Companion. Spend the $3 and save yourself the trouble. It has Steam Workshop support, making it a breeze to grab a pre-made config for most popular games.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each, I think Xpadder is way more powerful and configurable than CC, but CC's trump card is the virtual keyboard. The Controller Companion is still in its infancy, it will mature and IMO could even overtake Xpadder since it essentially brings the Xbox controller to the configuration level of the Steam Controller.

It is good, but man the Steam Controller has the greatest flexibility I've ever seen in a controller. I know the complaints against it and agree to some degree, but usually I'm not playing competitive twitchy stuff (and have M&K or XB1 for that). An example is the official config for Kerbal Space Program. Kerbal Space Program! A flight/space physics simulator with CAD style design interface. It uses much of the keyboard with multiple axes of control and then some. Their Steam Controller config has five contextual configs for each mode the game is in and full support for pretty much every keypress. I know you can do all that with a combination of, say, Pinnacle and AHK but this is easy to set up in one package. I think it's the multi-modal trackpad settings that puts it over the top for me and pretty much says "this thing can do *everything*. Anyhow, that's all fanboy gushing. Thanks for indulging me if it's not really up your alley; I just had to get that out.

Even after the update, connecting 2 Xbox One controllers wirelessly to windows freezes up LaunchBox. I wasn't going to post about it here, because LaunchBox isn't the only thing that's affected. Has to be a windows issue, or something. If I have two controllers plugged in and try and open LaunchBox, nothing happens. Then, If I take the batteries out of one of the controllers, LaunchBox immediately pops open. Anyone able to connect 2 Wireless Xbox One controllers with no problems?

fromlostdays said Even after the update, connecting 2 Xbox One controllers wirelessly to windows freezes up LaunchBox. I wasn't going to post about it here, because LaunchBox isn't the only thing that's affected. Has to be a windows issue, or something. If I have two controllers plugged in and try and open LaunchBox, nothing happens. Then, If I take the batteries out of one of the controllers, LaunchBox immediately pops open. Anyone able to connect 2 Wireless Xbox One controllers with no problems?
Im having th Same exact issue here. after extensive testing, i personally think It's a Windows 10 issue with directX or direct input when using Xbox One controllers. Most of the emulators freeze and lockup with 2 Xbox one controllers. some emulators like MameUI freeze upon launch whenever an xbox one controller is active. I agree this is not a Launchbox issue and that it certainly seems to be a windows 10 issue. If so, Why doesn't microsoft do something about this or release some information for those experiencing issues? aren't they supposedly taking gaming more seriously on windows 10? Is there only a handful of people using Xbox one controllers and they literally don't prioritize a fix? hard to believe this is happening with their own hardware. I did extensive testing on this exact issue. Since then, I have switched back to using Xbox360 controllers with windows 10 and the issues have went away. It just doesn't make sense that we cannot use current Xbox one gamepads as intended. I really hope this issue gets fixed.

I don't think that MS considers emulation as gaming or if they do not in the way they do PC games or their games for Windows Store as there is little to no revenue for them involved in it. Now if the issues is effecting modern PC games (which I haven't seen any reports of) then you may see them jump on coming up with a quick fix. If it is only effecting emulators they may not even be aware that there is an issue as I image as part of their overall user base retro gamers make up only a small percentage.

I agree with the general point you're making but its not only affecting emulators. LaunchBox is not an emulator. I shouldn't have to choose between controllers my OS supposedly supports and the programs I use. If it was as simple as the second controller didn't function in non-game non-MS programs, I could see them putting it off. But having a second controller is blocking me from opening my own programs. This is using the not exactly cheap official microsoft wireless dongle, mind you. They should fix it. It isn't a problem with 360 controllers, so it shouldn't take much revenue to clear up whatever issue they implemented. Sorry, I'm a bit bitter. SentiBrad would probably be happy to know I'm going to give the DS4s another go this weekend. I sincerely hope they work, as I'm ready to move on from the issue of controllers.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't fix just that they may not know about it because so far the only people I know having issues is the emulation community (which doesn't mean others aren't experiencing it just that I don't have any knowledge of it) and yes while LB is not an emulator is definitely closely tied in with emulation.