LaunchBox Community Forums

The HyperSpin theme recording thread

CriticalCid

But all my recorded themes are in 4:3 as well? I record them in the original 4:3 resolution of HyperSpin (1024x768). That’s the reason why I can use the original 4:3 aspect ratio of the themes + wheels beside of it on a 16:9 resolution. Like I said, if you want to use recorded 4:3 themes in full screen on your 4:3 monitor you have to wait until Jason adds video backgrounds or remove the wheels or you have to stretch them on the height until they fit.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SentaiBrad could you explain how H265 videos takes a more powerful PC. I watch them on my tablet without issue over my network so I'm confused by this unless you mean on the creation side because my experience is that the smaller the file size the easier it is for your network to handle the file.

The network can handle the smaller file size yes, but a more powerful machine is needed to run 265 video. More advanced algorithms and ways to decode and playback video. If you are streaming it over your network through something like Plex or the Universal Media Server then the machine the video is on is doing most of the leg work here. However, a lot of devices and hardware are shipping with 265 encoding and rendering capable parts, so this is less of a big deal. If you picked a laptop or a tablet of several years old, assuming you had the right codecs and the right software you could be looking at a loss in performance. Some users on the site do have older machines. I would be willing to bet your 1GB tablets would cry with BigBox + h265 video for example. Granted, these are extreme cases because... you wanted to, but still, it drives that point fairly well. Of course encoding also requires more powerful hardware. Like I said, I have a really good PC right now and it maxes out the performance of my CPU to encode 7-10 frames of video per second. The weaker the hardware the slower this will become. If you don't have HEVC / h265 capable hardware or special chips (like h264 has in pretty much everything for the last 8 years) then this will go slower, can possibly result in a corrupt video or refuse to do it. When h265 was finally approved, at first it was only software. That was the only way you could watch it, it was all software based. So phones and tablets of that era would lag or not even work. All codec packs needed updating, VLC and Windows Media Player Classic needed updating, everything. Now it's readily available, and even that took a while as there was controversy on how to handle h265. Some places wanted to own and monetize it unlike how h264 is, which is open and why it's available for everything and has become the standard. Even h265 isn't the "standard" yet. First, it was GPU's and CPU's that more readily handled h265 and now tablets and phones are starting to handle that with hardware as well as it becomes more and more of a thing. Now im not saying you need a super computer to play it, but it will either take forever or not even work to encode h265 on a lower speced machine. As far as playing it goes, if you tried playing a 1080p or a 4k h265 mkv or mp4 on a machine that is a little older, I wouldn't be surprised if you hit lag spikes every so often. Playing a 1080p h264 YouTube optimized video takes roughly 150mb of ram and 5% of my CPU. h265 1080p, lower bitrate (so not really optimized, but instead opting for a lower quality standard) started taking 7% of my CPU. I have an Intel i7 6700. So playing, certainly doable on most machines. However, for the best compatability because, lets face it, not a lot of people want to or can upgrade, is probably the best which is an optimized h264 for the time being. My quick stat checking was just in Task Manager also running the video through MPC. Kodi could be different, and then of course running the video through BigBox would be wildly different.

CriticalCid said But all my recorded themes are in 4:3 as well? I record them in the original 4:3 resolution of HyperSpin (1024x768). That’s the reason why I can use the original 4:3 aspect ratio of the themes + wheels beside of it on a 16:9 resolution. Like I said, if you want to use recorded 4:3 themes in full screen on your 4:3 monitor you have to wait until Jason adds video backgrounds or remove the wheels or you have to stretch them on the height until they fit.
Lol you're right I just noticed I have to substract the wheel column from my 4:3 monitor

Brad I wouldn't even attempt to run BigBox on a tablet with exceptions as I'm sure the surfaces with the i7's in them would eat BigBox up but I don't have money for a tablet that cost as much as a decent desktop so I'm using much weaker tablets. I read that their is a CPU hit in H265 but my tablet can directly play files opened from explorer over the network using WMP so for a newer quad core atom the performance is pretty smooth. Ok I see that you specified that you won't have a performance issue in playback and that is my experience. I don't create video and only rarely have I tried to convert videos from one codecs to another and I know that process will make your machine run exceptionally hard even on good hardware. Also I'm conservative about how I use my storage. I just started getting 720 videos because of the H265 I still don't mess around with the 1080's as I need the space more than that extra increase in quality. Thanks for specifying all of this for me.

For the performance I can say that my work PC I use to record and render the videos can play all the x256 videos completely fine through BigBox. It’s an AMD Phenom II Hexa-core with 3.0 Ghz and a AMD HD 6870. Both of them are 6 years old. I also encode circa 15 frames per second with this machine on the “medium” preset. So I don’t see any reason to not use it.

Well if we can push the frames per second (during encoding not playback) to make it viable, that's once thing. If you can nail a sweet spot with bitrate too the time to completion will be faster. I mean Cid, you have an octa-core CPU. Your encoder should be utilizing the multi-threading very well. Not everyone will have this to encode with. Assuming 30fps for playback, at 15 to encode that's 1 second of playback for 2 seconds of encoding time. What is the average length? Multiply the average across the total amount of video's left. You have a rough estimate, give or take, the length in which you can encode. It's also worth noting that I generally attempt to encode at higher bitrates. What was the bitrate you chose Cid? As for playback, a newer quad core atom should theoretically smash 265. I believe they have instructions on the hardware level to deal with 265. I would say, easily, anything within the last 4 years of tech that was released within those years is good to go. The farther back you go is really going to depend on software, users computer environment, the bitrate and resolutions.

Also there's a lot of people who are using really old pcs to emulate only mame and old systems like Atari, NES or Commodore but most of them won't mind videos being a few megas bigger because most of us can afford at least 1tb hard drive for media

That's also what I am driving at @Supreme. We have data that suggest and supports that users use Vita and 7 machines with extremely tight hardware configurations. We still want the entire community to be covered if they so were to want to use these. Regardless if OUR computers are fine, someone else's may not be.

Will Vista stop being supported next year when it reaches end of life (04-2017). Not that I have Vista on anything but it could help the users you guys have detected using it be better prepared to have to move on to a newer OS.

Yes. We would like to stay there, but then .Net will stop supporting Vista, and when that happens we have to move with it. Once it's unsupported though it also becomes very dangerous. At that point people should move forward. So the bigger thing pushing us forward is .Net, but more than likely when Vista support goes we will probably drop Vista support too.

SentaiBrad said Well if we can push the frames per second (during encoding not playback) to make it viable, that's once thing. If you can nail a sweet spot with bitrate too the time to completion will be faster. I mean Cid, you have an octa-core CPU. Your encoder should be utilizing the multi-threading very well. Not everyone will have this to encode with. Assuming 30fps for playback, at 15 to encode that's 1 second of playback for 2 seconds of encoding time. What is the average length? Multiply the average across the total amount of video's left. You have a rough estimate, give or take, the length in which you can encode. It's also worth noting that I generally attempt to encode at higher bitrates. What was the bitrate you chose Cid?
I encode in 60fps with CRF 18. The average length is 35 seconds. And my CPU is a really cheap and old hexa-core. Every i5 CPU, no matter what generation, should be way better.

So, 15 frames a second, 4 seconds of rendering per 1 second of play time. 4 * 35 * 2000 = 77.7777778 hours. So it must be because I am using a higher bitrate generally speaking. In Premiere, my settings and times are way different. I am talking roughly about conversion, but that formula should be roughly correct for however you are currently encoding in to h265.

I'm afraid I have to drop this project until BigBox supports Video on background or we can use some kind of transparency to the wheel column so it shows on top of the theme video. Otherwise I need a 16:9 monitor I'm not willing to buy anytime soon :(

Hi all, unfortunately the leaders of the Hyperspin community have requested that we stop distributing these recorded Hyperspin themes. They have no problem with us creating them but they'd rather that they be distributed via the Hyperspin forums. We're allowed to upload them there one by one, but downloading the complete package would require a premium subscription to Hyperspin. It's up to @CriticalCid if he wants to upload them there or not. Unfortunately, we can no longer distribute the recorded themes ourselves.

I thought a lot about it and it was a really hard decision but I’m sorry to tell you all that I won't upload any of my themes. You heard Jason. I can’t share my videos in the way I would have wanted it without pissing some people off and that’s why I’ve decided to not share it at all. I don’t like it either but I’m not willing to unintentionally advertise a paid premium service of a competing FrontEnd from which I won't see any penny of it myself and something that should be free anyway. So please just accept my decision and don't argue with me about it.

It makes no sense to upload videos to the HS site when they are not for use with HS anyway (they can just use the theme zip). We should just use the themes directly in bigbox, skip the whole video shenanigans. Its not too much work to make them work in BB.

CriticalCid said I thought a lot about it and it was a really hard decision but I’m sorry to tell you all that I won't upload any of my themes. You heard Jason. I can’t share my videos in the way I would have wanted it without pissing some people off and that’s why I’ve decided to not share it at all. I don’t like it either but I’m not willing to unintentionally advertise a paid premium service of a competing FrontEnd from which I won't see any penny of it myself and something that should be free anyway. So please just accept my decision and don't argue with me about it.
Can I still expect you will tell me how to record them myself? :P