LaunchBox Community Forums

The HyperSpin theme recording thread

CriticalCid

No problem at all. But thanks for reminding me that the old themes were still online. I’ve uploaded them before I've asked for any permission because I was still testing around and wanted to share my tests, my bad. And yeah, of course I could have taken some free videos like the progetto video snaps but to be honest are the EmuMovies ones way better (60fps, more or less the same length, better resolution) and I can record every system, not only the MAME ones. And I also plan to record 16:9 main menu themes after my arcade project so I would’ve needed EmuMovies videos for it anyway. But if @Jason wants to distribute the themes for free from his own server I could record progetto versions as well.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imdavid555 said Just an idea, I know Game Ex and Hyperspin premium offer a coupon code for like a 25% off discount on Emumovies. Would be an awesome incentive if Launch Box did this as well.
This is already something we've explored, but we don't have the system available per-se to do it yet.

We're working on making that discount available. :) Thanks @CriticalCid for staying one step ahead of the game on all that stuff. You really are very much appreciated in this community, myself included. I appreciate you not getting discouraged from all the red tape. It may take me a while to get everything set up, but yes, I can certainly host theme videos for us if that's the best solution. Hopefully we can get this all worked out with Hyperspin though, first off.

There is something I don't understand about this whole copyright stuff so maybe you guys can enlighten me since I'm completely new to the scene and english is not my first language... From my understanding some guy named Circo runs a business of selling video captures from games he don't hold any copyright of and then sell those video snaps to people who also have no copyright or license of any type of said games, so... how can he have any right over the video snaps? I understand he charges people for the download part since he can own a server and charge for mb downloaded but he definitely can't stop anyone else from using their videos freely since they have no license of the product shown in the video. Of course I could be wrong if this guy holds licenses for all those games he recorded but I highly doubt it. To make my point more clear, if I start making video snaps from PS4 games I'm pretty sure I don't hold any right over those videos nor I can't sell them like they are a creative art of my own since I'm just recording someone's else art running on my computer/console. If I'm right about this matter then Cid is completly free to record and share (not sell) his video captures. If I'm wrong then I hope Cid can share with us the settings he's has been using so I can work on my own themes with my own videos (and then I'll share my work in a torrent file since I'll own the rights to those videos I capture myself)

DOS76 said Its not about the legality so much as not being a dick to other people in the retro gaming community.
I don't think Cid is being a dick to anyone, he looks like someone who discovered a way to make his favourite front end look nicer and then shared all his work with the community. I'm not trying to be a dick to Circo or anyone else either, like I said I'm fine with him charging people for the downloads, he just can't forbid other people to do the same or reshare their own work for free.

I was in no way implying that Cid was being a dick at all. I'm explaining people trepidation at just taking these things without the creators permission regardless if that person has any actual legal rights to the material which plainly they do not.

Great news guys. I’ve got permission from all the people in charge to continue and share my little project :) As soon as I know all the details I’ll share them with you. To the video discussion: I would prefer if we wouldn’t discuss this here. Yeah it’s a very legal limbo on all the artwork and video stuff and there are a lot of people with a lot of different opinions about this. But to be fair: all the media creators put a lot of work in it and it is only fair and respectful to ask and get permission for it. Because like Derek said, we don’t want to piss people off and it’s better for everyone if we respect the work of others even if they can't claim full copyright to it. So far was everyone I've asked for permission really friendly and understanding with moderate and comprehensible terms. I don’t see any reason why we should give a damn about their opinion and provoke an unnecessary hassle in the emulation/FrontEnd community with LB in the middle. In the end we all share the same hobby so just be nice to each other :)

CriticalCid said Great news guys. I’ve got permission from all the people in charge to continue and share my little project :) As soon as I know all the details I’ll share them with you.
Great news, glad to hear it, can't wait to see your work online for sharing Once again I'd like to ask for your new recording settings for mp4 video since I have my own collection of themes and mame videos I recorded myself that I'd love to use for my launchbox themes instead of generic ones from the web or from emumovies. Thanks in advance Cid :)

Hello Cid, As I had downloaded the avi files you uploaded a few days ago I wanted to try it on my setup but this is how they look in my screen (the video is not occupying the whole right screen side like in your example): http://i.imgur.com/lc9liyq.jpg?1 Is it because BigBox is using a different resolution than my Desktop?? (1024x768) If so how can I fix it? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me on this matter as I can't figure it out on my own

I have the same issue on my 16:10 monitor as well because the theme is only optimized for 16:9 desktop resolutions and I don’t know how to make it flexible for different aspect ratios. Like I said was this theme just a quick test I did in 10 minutes and isn’t flexible at all. So unfortunately you have to manually adjust it. To change it you have to open the WheelGamesView.xaml in the theme folder and change to values of
ColumnDefinition Width="25*" /> ColumnDefinition Width="75*" />
The values say how much space of the screen the wheels and the video are using in percent. The upper value is for the wheels and the lower value for the video. Just change it until it fits for your aspect ratio. The * has to be at the end of the numbers and the sum of both numbers have to result 100. Unfortunately if you are using a 4:3 aspect ratio you have to completely remove the wheels by setting them to 0 and set the video to 100 percent to get the videos work in full screen. Until Jason hasn't added support for video backgrounds there’s currently nothing you can do to change that.

I would guess so but I don’t know how to do it. Like I said was this just a test I did and I don’t know XAML at all. Basically I just deleted every element one by one until I had only the wheels and videos left and then I just resized them until I had the video in full screen. That’s how far my XAML skills go Laugh If someone want to google and fix that, you're more than welcomeWink

CriticalCid said I have the same issue on my 16:10 monitor as well because the theme is only optimized for 16:9 desktop resolutions and I don’t know how to make it flexible for different aspect ratios.
Ok I think I got it. I've never worked with codes before besides some old html like 15 years ago I barely looked at but I'll go the trial and error way. I think the simplest and fastest solution would be changing the aspect ratio of the videos using a video converter program BUT what I really want to know and I've been asking you a few times now is what are your latest settings to record the mp4 files and what programs are you using for the automation process. This is very interesting to me because I could record my own videos, I have a bunch of custom HS themes I made myself and also got custom videos I recorded myself directly from MAME gameplay and other platforms. I appreciate all your work recording and sharing your videos but I'd prefer to record them myself if you show me the way (step by step if possible since my computing skills are those of a child 5 years old)

Video recording and editing is going to be fairly laborious @Supreme. I appreciate the dedication, I do, but are you sure you want to try and go down this road? I only ask because you said your PC knowledge is limited. Also, in the very first post Cid posted a lot of the settings he used for video recording and editing.

SentaiBrad said Video recording and editing is going to be fairly laborious @Supreme. I appreciate the dedication, I do, but are you sure you want to try and go down this road? I only ask because you said your PC knowledge is limited. Also, in the very first post Cid posted a lot of the settings he used for video recording and editing.
@SentaiBrad From what I understood Cid got a way to automate the process, meaning he just need to setup a video editor program, hyperspin and some kind of autohotkey script to let his computer running for hours while it works on its own. Maybe I exaggerated a bit about my poor PC knowledge, I'm not that oblivious but it's true that I never studied anything related to computers and compared to you guys I feel like a child unable to think or do anything of the cool stuff on my own but I'm confident that if pointed in the right direction I will have success :) PS: the settings have been erased and they were the old .avi settings anyways so I need the new ones for h265 and mp4 (plus the programs needed for such automated process)

Yeah I heard you that you want to know my settings but there are quite a lot of steps and it would take me a lot of time to write that all down with explanations because everything is command line based now. I’ll do it if I find the time and mood to do it, so please just be patient. And are you really sure that you want to change the aspect ratio of the videos? That will look kinda ugly if everything is stretched on the height.

Ah, alright then. It's a bit more complicated than just a script, but that is more or less the deal. You'd also want to work in h264 if you are going to distribute them. Cid and I have discussed this too. h265 / HEVC is fantastic, but it takes a more powerful PC to run these, and much more powerful PC to render these. I don't have a slouch for a PC but converting a non-HD dvd TV episode from source to 265 took 5-8 frames per second, for the entire 24 min episode. This also wasn't an HD video, it was only 540p. Converting 264 to 265 took less time-ish, roughly 9-15 frames a second, but then you also have to add on the time it took to rip as 264 in the first place. So time it originally took + conversion. The end result is obviously great quality and lower file sizes. I would rip as 264 then batch convert in Handbrake to 265. As per settings. h264, 30FPS, 2500-10000kbps (depending on resolution and desired quality to size ratio), and 48,000Hz audio at 320kbps. That's a very common and well accepted baseline conversion. If you are gonna convert it to 265 I would give the video birate a higher kbps as well. So a 720p video, I would personally do 7mbps, 30fps, h264, 48,000Hz and 320kbps. Then convert all as-is to 265.

CriticalCid said Yeah I heard you that you want to know my settings but there are quite a lot of steps and it would take me a lot of time to write that all down with explanations because everything is command line based now. I’ll do it if I find the time and mood to do it, so please just be patient. And are you really sure that you want to change the aspect ratio of the videos? That will look kinda ugly if everything is stretched on the height.
@CriticalCid No, I don't really want to change the aspect ratio, I said that would be a quick (but ugly) solution so I would rather record my own videos since all my themes and videos are 4:3 so they look neat like yours. It's not a matter of life or death so I can be patient... just please don't forget about this old fella who enjoy playing on an old arcade cabinet and prefer 4:3 aspect ratio over hd formats Laugh
SentaiBrad said You'd also want to work in h264 if you are going to distribute them. Cid and I have discussed this too. h265 / HEVC is fantastic, but it takes a more powerful PC to run these, and much more powerful PC to render these.
@SentaiBraid I have a powerful pc on my arcade cabinet (I'm using my gaming rig since I usually do all the other stuff on my iMac) but I've learnt so much since I started my arcade project that I'm all in to follow any instruction you guys recommend me so I can share a bit of my own back to the community