LaunchBox Community Forums

The HyperSpin theme recording thread

CriticalCid

Update - added by Jason Carr 2016-06-30: Unfortunately the leaders of the Hyperspin community have requested that we stop distributing these recorded Hyperspin themes. They have no problem with us creating them but they'd rather that they be distributed via the Hyperspin forums. We're allowed to upload them there one by one, but downloading the complete package would require a premium subscription to Hyperspin. It's up to @CriticalCid if he wants to upload them there or not. Unfortunately, we can no longer distribute the recorded themes ourselves. Update - added by CriticalCid 2016-06-30: I thought a lot about it and it was a really hard decision but I’m sorry to tell you all that I won't upload any of my themes. You heard Jason. I can’t share my videos in the way I would have wanted it without pissing some people off and that’s why I’ve decided to not share it at all. I don’t like it either but I’m not willing to unintentionally advertise a paid premium service of a competing FrontEnd from which I won't see any penny of it myself and something that should be free anyway. So please just accept my decision and don't argue with me about it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who's been using EmulationStation but stalked these forums for some time, I'd like to say thanks for this awesome idea. LaunchBox + Hyperspin themes - the complication of other frontends made me finally take the dive and go premium yesterday. Can't wait to see where this goes from here. I can't contribute much to this endeavor (can provide 20-30 second preview mp4s of gameplay if anyone needs, but that's it) but I just thought I'd pop in to wish y'all the best of luck with this.

Big news guys! I’ve managed to get a new and even better workflow for recording themes. That means that the bridging errors should be almost completely gone and that I render the videos with the H265 codec as .mp4 files now. Because I won’t have to manually fix a lot of bridging errors anymore I will be able to record and finish new themes a lot faster! Additional to all the new themes which are coming I will also re-record and replace the themes that are currently online so that every theme will be created with my new processing settings. So stay tuned, huge updates are coming! @Supreme: It’s not an official feature yet but according to Jason it will be soon. For now it’s more testing and not intended to be used with your normal LaunchBox setup. But if you still want to use the theme videos right now you can grab my theme for it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6XLOBnGwlUT2F3MXVhaDFoQ00/view The theme videos go into “\LaunchBox\Video\Arcade\” And here’s a video from Jason on how you handle custom BigBox themes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNHRvdl2jU

Short update, I have recorded over 800 themes with my new method so far and they look just great! If everything works as expected I will release a complete set of almost EVERY available arcade theme from all arcade systems (MAME, Sega Model 2, Sega Naomi, Daphne, Taito Type X, etc. Over 2000 themes in total!) on this weekend! I won’t upload any of these before I’ve finished everything because all themes are in only one folder right now and I want to sort them by arcade system first before I release it.

spektor56 said are the emumovies guys ok with all their videos being ripped and distributed without needing an emumovies premium account?
You should read before making accusations like this. This has nothing to do with EmuMovies and the original theme creator on Hyperspin said that Cid had his full permission to do this.

SentaiBrad said You should read before making accusations like this. This has nothing to do with EmuMovies and the original theme creator on Hyperspin said that Cid had his full permission to do this.
Well the videos within those themes are taken straight from Emumovies.

SentaiBrad said
spektor56 said are the emumovies guys ok with all their videos being ripped and distributed without needing an emumovies premium account?
You should read before making accusations like this. This has nothing to do with EmuMovies and the original theme creator on Hyperspin said that Cid had his full permission to do this.
The gameplay videos in the boxes for the themes are emumovies videos.

The movies should be downloaded from EM from within LaunchBox. The themes shouldn't necessarily ever supply video's. That said, HyperSpin and EmuMovies might even have some cross over. In fact I know that there are 3 websites that have the same exact video sets (some image sets too), and they are all the same video. The only difference with the EmuMovies ones is they are tagged with an EM Identifier as the thumbnail. The other sites, including HyperSpin I believe, share a lot of the same source it appears, or the images and video have just been floating around for so long there's no telling where it came from. That is actually one of the issues we have, which is we have no clue where the video actually originated from. So if the video is apart of the theme that Cid recorded, the theme creator put it together and Cid is just simply transferring the work from one location to another. Unless you can match the video 100% it's worth noting that it could be very similar? Cid will have to chime in, but I would be willing to go to bat and trust Cid on this. He wouldn't intentionally ever steal from other people's work, even if the origin of that work is murky. If I am wrong then I apologize, but let's not accuse people of these things so blatantly. If you have a concern that they are duplicate video's then ask and we can figure it out.

Well I'm not sure if you noticed, but the 289 themes Cid has already uploaded in his first post contain both the HyperSpin theme and the Emumovies clip. So it doesn't look like it will work the way you think it will Brad. The Hyperspin theme creators have only made the images around the gameplay clip. The gameplay videos are done by Circo over at Emumovies (as far as I know). The 3 other sites you are referring to most likely stolen them from Emumovies. Anyone can take a video and claim it as there just like artwork. People pay good money to get nice quality videos over at Emumovies (myself included), so you have to understand why people may get upset at this.

No I totally get why, I've made comments in other threads about this same sort of thing. The problem with the video, and we are friends with Circo, it's not 100% clear where it came from. You are right, any one can claim video, anyone could be to blame. I trust both Cid and Circo though. You also don't know the condition for the themes, they may be allowed to have the video. It does take a little bit more effort and sleuthing by the person who is going to say stuff like this, if someone is going to be accused of stealing content. If Cid included the video then obviously he shouldn't have, however these themes are clearly created with special aspect ratio's for the video and were only converted as is (as we're led to believe thus far), meaning the video had to be edited and put in there from the original theme creator over at HyperSpin. Why isn't the theme creator being blamed? Where did the video actually come from? These are similar if not the same exact reason why we don't bother allowing uploads of certain things as to prevent something like this from happening. It's too murky of a situation and instead of blatantly accusing users of stealing content in a community that is very trusting, loving and forthcoming, maybe I should have been contacted about this privately? In the mean time I have removed the link until we can actually figure out what is going on. I will talk to Cid when we're both available and figure out what's going on. If need be, I will contact others afterwards and this will be solved.

SentaiBrad Have you used HyperSpin or created a theme in Hyperspin before? You can put any video there. You just have to make sure the video is just name accordingly in the "Media" > "System name" > "Video" folder similar to LaunchBox. Here is the very first theme in Cid's video with a changed video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPpo0Axwq6U&feature=youtu.be The theme creator created the that theme in mind by allowing any Vertical video to be used. Cid and everyone involved definitely has good intention, but this is something that should be run by Circo for sure. I'm sure many of these themes will have some of his videos because I have seen every single one of them on Emumovies for far just looking at the few that were uploaded before.

No, I haven't ever used HyperSpin, nor do I honestly ever want to, but I said that a video can be supplied in one of my above posts. EmuMovies if I recall doesn't offer vertical video anyways, and if that's the case then someone did have to edit the original video to fit the new aspect ratio, something else I talked about in another one of my above posts. So I understand the logistics behind it. Like Jason said, we'll talk to Circo and see if we can get him to offer vertical video on their Database like this so it can be downloaded through LaunchBox. This is the best way we can think of.

Calm down guys. Yes, the videos are indeed from EmuMovies and yes I have talked with Circo about this. He and his team are completely cool with this as long as I host the videos on their server. I know that it’s not an ideal solution because that means you‘ll need a premium membership over their but I truely can’t blame them for this. But on the other side he said that it would be no problem at all to get them downloadable directly through LaunchBox. But we could have a bigger problem now. Circo made me aware that the HS engine could be protected and not allowed to be recorded and that my permission from one of their media section admins over there won't be enough. He will speak with the HS creators tomorrow and then we will see. But he also thinks that it would be fine, so I'm hoping he's right. I've taken down the themes I’ve already recorded for now. Sorry for the confusion.

Glad to hear that you got permission from Circo!!!! Sorry if I have caused any problems. I could tell they were from Emumovies and realized that you would need permission from Circo as well. If you can't get permission from the HS creators, maybe you can try Attract-mode? I know it supports HS themes. Thank you Cid and Please keep us updated!