LaunchBox Community Forums

Simple way to use a universal back ground image?

LogicalEgo

Is there a way to set a single image as a system back ground for the system and then use the same image for the game list back ground? The reason I ask is that the scrapping method so far with launchbox/bigbox is not picking up a lot of things. It really surprises me how much is missing. Also is there anyway to bring over my Hyperspin images into Bigbox for cart and videos for the stuff that isnt being picked up? I noticed the naming conventions are different between the two even when using a no-intro rom set.

Right now the GamesDB which is what LaunchBox usually uses is down so when you import your games you won't get any data right now. You can still import and add metadata later but you may just be better off waiting until they are back up before adding anymore games. If you go to Tools and then options you will see options to set background settings (I'm not sure but this may be a premium feature it may not). You may find what you are looking for there.

Custom images for different situations has been asked before, but right now it only works if you use your wallpaper as an image, but then the second you click a game it starts changing to the game images. I could see, when you edit platforms, a edit function so you can add things like images. If you want, and it doesn't exist is our BitBucket, is suggest it. Go to the top and click Send Feedback. As for the images, yea GamesDB is down right now, and there is nothing we can do about it. We'll be expanding these options again in the future but for right now it will just require some patience. Once it is back up you can Ctrl + A all the games in a system, then Tools -> Download Images and Metadata. This will re-run everything but importing. Otherwise if you don't want to wait, or you still don't like what it offers afterwards, you can move your images in to the images folder for LaunchBox, but naming will not be the same. All images would have to have the name of the game and be in the proper folder. So in a game folder will be Front, Back, etc. The front cover of a game will go in the front folder and need to be named after the game, not the rom or iso file, but the game. It offers some degree of flexibility.

Great feedback. I did not know the GameDB was down. I was just on the web page the other day but maybe fetching data is completely different. I am a 5+ year Hyperspin vet and finally started to let it go and I stumbled upon Launchbox via SimplyAustin (cheers). I really like what I see so far and it has everything I was wanting Hyperspin to eventually have but the development there is basically dead. You all seem to really like what you are doing and that is leaps and bounds a huge plus sign for me. Keep up the good work and I will patiently wait for things to come in. Kudos for the tip to reimport metadata per system. I was actually looking for that and couldn't find it.

• 3 months later...
I don't
fromlostdays said I didn't see this addressed, but you can certainly use your HS media for LaunchBox, at least, I've done it with boxes and videos. You can even leave them in your hyperspin folder, you just have to set the path (and be sure to refresh). Also welcome Keltoigael.
I don't see a way of changing the background on a per system basis. This really should be addressed. Using fan art is ok but not ideal. Maybe I'm missing something. I've only been playing around with this for a couple of hours. I background on a per system basis is something that is really needed. Fan art just doesn't do it for me. Most is not that good anyway.

Actually this was just added with 6.0. Just put your fanart/background image for your platform in “\LaunchBox\Images\Platforms\AnyPlatformYouWant\Fanart”. Every game which hasn’t its own fanart will automatically use the fanart folder from the system which it is assigned to.